Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:27:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionVenus Patrol [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Venus Patrol [FINISHED]  (Read 46188 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »

The thing it isn't liking is a call to pyglet to draw a thick line in OpenGL. But by that time it should have drawn some other lines already. Maybe it's the way I'm calling it, through pyglet.graphics.draw directly, which I think creates a vertex list new each time and so is rather slow.

I'll have a look at it tonight. Can you tell me what kind of system you are running it on?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »

Pentium Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz
Windows XP Professional 32bits SP3
(almost) 4 GB RAM Dual-Channel
ATI Radeon HD4850 512 MB, 8.12 driver version

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »

Thanks!

Okay, I've taken out the places where I used that method of drawing. How about this one: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=61783

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »

Starting to think I simply can't play this game. Sad

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »

Starting to think I simply can't play this game. Sad
Sad

Thanks for persevering.

The place where it throws a fit *looks* like it's trying to draw a vertex list that consists of a single primitive, probably a line for a hand on one of the dials in the hud.

Here is a version with most of the HUD disabled: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=61839 Does this one work? And if so, does it crash when you fire a bullet, as those are drawn as single lines?

And is anyone else having these problems? In particular, does the download in the first post work for the people who were having trouble with the MSVCR thing?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:13 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin:handthumbsupR:

Just got no fucking idea what I'm supposed to do. :D

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2009, 11:26:41 PM »

I've uploaded a new version. I did some optimizations; the biggest one was drawing the instrument graphics on the HUD by a blit command, rather than as a sprite. My profiler was showing me that the set and unset state commands (I think) for the sprite was taking a very long time. Something is still going on with these commands that I don't understand; it seems to be calling the set and unset commands for some HUD elements even when drawing other things, like the scenery. Perhaps I have got my groups and batches mixed up.

Looking through the code, I realized that bullets are not actually drawn as single primitives. So maybe the problem Melly (and I think some other people) were having really is about their computers not liking single primitives. So I have added dummy primitives to the offending HUD elements that were causing crashes before. Can anyone tell me if this works for them now?

Also I have changed the internal view key back to you having to hold it down, rather than being a toggle. It's a little awkward, but I really like the feeling of physically knowing which view mode you are in.

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2009, 01:13:25 AM »

Great colours, nice effects (trails and air particles) and a good flight model too. However I got an honest-to-god BSOD when I got close to the baddies. It was a bugcheck 1000007f, I'm guessing a driver problem of some kind but I don't know which module faulted.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2009, 01:26:51 AM »

Great colours, nice effects (trails and air particles) and a good flight model too. However I got an honest-to-god BSOD when I got close to the baddies. It was a bugcheck 1000007f, I'm guessing a driver problem of some kind but I don't know which module faulted.
Yikes, sorry about that. My first guess is that it's the sound system. One of the optimizations I did in the latest version is that the alien sounds only start playing when you get close to them. If you want to have a crack at dogfighting, maybe one of the older versions that I posted above will be more stable: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=61783

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »

very nicely done. Also, I love the colors, it feels like flying in champagne cup .

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2010, 07:57:53 AM »

Found this and wanted to download it but will host for food is broken an I was wondering if you could re host it.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »

Found this and wanted to download it but will host for food is broken an I was wondering if you could re host it.

Rehosted it here: http://www.box.net/files/0/f/34870920/Games#/files/0/item/f_359982656

I'm actually working right now on a fuller version of this, but it's taking a while.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »

Is this game related to venus flytrap?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic