Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:13:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Grey - Survival shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Grey - Survival shooter  (Read 900 times)
besieger1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »

The Grey - Survival shooter

hey everyone, first post! wooo

Ok so I have decided to come to the community and show some of what I am working on, Although I know the direction and style I want to take I am having trouble thinking of a name for this game, Right now its called "The Grey" simply because the art is very washed out and lots of grey is used.

I also came up with this name to try and convey a message of "This is a game with quite a cold setting", the whole game is set in an arctic like forest, with simple survival mechanics such as gathering food and water, hunting etc.

What do you guys think to the name currently? do you have a name that would suit more?

The Log
Anyway with that said lets move on to the log, I will update this page with my most current blog dev update. To view older updates go http://besieger.x10host.com/

Updated: 07/09/2015

In this update I will be talking about some level development and audio

The past few days have been spent on creating a semi-finished map/level, though the end goal is to randomly generate the world each time you play I still need to have some static world to work in while I put that together, the randomly generated world part of the project is still being thought up and developed on paper or better yet, on google docs.

The world I currently have is looking good though there are still some more assets I need to add. Doing the static world first also helps me get an idea of what a typical world could look like and help understand how parts of said world will be interacted with. Plus it looks damn cool to be able to walk around the static world as it come together.

Here is a sneak peek at that static world currently:

A new rifle model was made too, this model will make use of the weapon attachment system I plan to add later...

While the art side of things are looking good I also started work on the audio end, this will admittedly be the weakest part of my project as I have absolutely zero audio experience, I am relying solely on free SFX... though sounds wont be a large part of the game though they will add to the overall gameplay.

On the audio side of things, I currently have 2 BGM traks for wind that have been cut up to fade into each other, the effect to me seems mostly seamless. Other audio, Snow sounds. Walking in snow and running in snow, these have been cut up too and randomised so that you don't hear the same sound over and over. Walking is a big part of the game after all.

Along with everything above I have improved project management with a log of all the changes that are made each day, I hope to get this log posted on the website at some point though the changes will likely only be updated every week or whenever I post a new update. Currently since I started the new logging I have more than 120 changes made! though it has to be said the change log is so in-depth that I could rebuild the entire project following these log files.

I hope you enjoyed the read even though this update was fairly short, until next time Smiley

Thanks guys! any feedback is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:14:03 PM by besieger1 » Logged
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »

Hey, welcome to TIG and your first devlog.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but you're up for some stiff competition on a few fronts here.

1. The name "The Grey" is a fairly recent film starring Liam Neeson, I know its a placeholder name mostly... but you did ask for opinions on the name so I wanted to throw that out there. Coincidentally also takes place in a snowy wasteland...

2. Speaking of snowy wasteland and survival video games. There is a very well received game currently in Early Access on Steam called "The Long Dark" which sounds like exactly what you're trying to develop. "...exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness. There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and everything Mother Nature can throw at you."

You may want to consider finding some other unique spin on your vision for a frozen survival game. Or you can continue on as you are. I just wanted to throw that out there while you're still early into the development.

Regardless... welcome to TIG.

besieger1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »

Hey, welcome to TIG and your first devlog.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but you're up for some stiff competition on a few fronts here.

1. The name "The Grey" is a fairly recent film starring Liam Neeson, I know its a placeholder name mostly... but you did ask for opinions on the name so I wanted to throw that out there. Coincidentally also takes place in a snowy wasteland...

2. Speaking of snowy wasteland and survival video games. There is a very well received game currently in Early Access on Steam called "The Long Dark" which sounds like exactly what you're trying to develop. "...exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness. There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and everything Mother Nature can throw at you."

You may want to consider finding some other unique spin on your vision for a frozen survival game. Or you can continue on as you are. I just wanted to throw that out there while you're still early into the development.

Regardless... welcome to TIG.

1. I must be thinking in the right direction then, yes the name will most definitely be a place holder since its already taken. Grin is the film any good?

2. After looking at "The Long Dark", while my initial idea is quite close I think there will be plenty of material to differentiate the games to some length, though I guess both will follow the same setting.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic