Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:35:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPuzzle Depot [DEMO]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Puzzle Depot [DEMO]  (Read 16489 times)
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »

"Precipice" stumped me. It's the first one since the kickstarter started to do so. Congrats!

That one seems to be considered the toughest puzzle so far!

Today's is another "Merciful" Monday, and I was "kind" enough to provide plenty of valuable punchcards to collect. Move count won't help you here, just try to get as many of those shiny punchcards as you can before exiting!

---

Thanks in no small part to a large and generous $250 pledge received yesterday, Puzzle Depot is now 72% of the way to the initial goal of $5000! This puts us in very good shape as we near the home stretch of the Kickstarter.

We're getting there! :D

Canned Turkey
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »

A beautiful game is one that looks good whether or not it's moving.
Well done Hand Clap
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »

This looks niiiiiice. Following!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2015, 02:32:43 PM »

A beautiful game is one that looks good whether or not it's moving.
Well done Hand Clap
This looks niiiiiice. Following!

Thank you Canned Turkey, thank you lasttea999! We are nearing the end of the Kickstarter and sure could use your support, if you are willing. Every bit helps! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1781334061/puzzle-depot

---

Today I'd like to go into a little more detail about an important type of mobile entity not yet introduced in Puzzle Depot: Robots! There are many varieties of robots to encounter - some useful, some deadly - but all follow the same basic movement patterns:

1: Robots move in the direction they are facing until meeting a solid object, at which point they turn clockwise and continue moving. Robots are programmed to NOT change direction when meeting a human, and will simply wait for you to move out of the way.

2: Robots are programmed to obey LED floor panels, and will change direction based on which way the arrow is pointing. Buttons can toggle LED panels on or off.

3: Rusty robots become completely immobile!

This screenshot shows the movement path of a basic type of robot, the Mobile Vendo:

---

Today's daily puzzle is Toxic Tuesday again, and I've left you a Hazmat Suit for the occasion. This is a tricky one, involving some albino roaches, toxic barrels, and some hard-to-reach pressure plates:

Only 11 days remaining!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

Just a quick post today...

Today's daily puzzle is another Weaponry Wednesday. I hope you like breaking stuff:

Grab that crowbar and start smashin'!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »

Smashing things with the crowbar is my favorite part of this game. It'd be nice if you could damage objects you can't break, like denting steel objects with the rusty crowbar or inflicting superficial damage on walls that can never be destroyed. It's just that much fun.

One thing I don't like - there is no indication given when a crate might contain something useful before you break it. In this room, for example, there might be useful items hidden in steel crates that need to be rusted before breaking them open. Working through them all by trial and error to find which ones have the score-maximizing goodies seems really tedious. It'd be nice if crates with items inside had a marking to visually distinguish them, or a keyboard button to press to highlight them.

Also, I think you might've answered this before, how does the player choose to kick a crate instead of using a crowbar in the hypothetical situation that they don't want to smash it?
pixpil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »

"Precipice" stumped me. It's the first one since the kickstarter started to do so. Congrats!

That one seems to be considered the toughest puzzle so far!

Today's is another "Merciful" Monday, and I was "kind" enough to provide plenty of valuable punchcards to collect. Move count won't help you here, just try to get as many of those shiny punchcards as you can before exiting!

---

Thanks in no small part to a large and generous $250 pledge received yesterday, Puzzle Depot is now 72% of the way to the initial goal of $5000! This puts us in very good shape as we near the home stretch of the Kickstarter.

We're getting there! :D

I like the colors! Good luck to the KS campaign!  Hand Money Right

| Follow us on:  @pixpilgames
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »

Smashing things with the crowbar is my favorite part of this game. It'd be nice if you could damage objects you can't break, like denting steel objects with the rusty crowbar or inflicting superficial damage on walls that can never be destroyed. It's just that much fun.

One thing I don't like - there is no indication given when a crate might contain something useful before you break it. In this room, for example, there might be useful items hidden in steel crates that need to be rusted before breaking them open. Working through them all by trial and error to find which ones have the score-maximizing goodies seems really tedious. It'd be nice if crates with items inside had a marking to visually distinguish them, or a keyboard button to press to highlight them.

Also, I think you might've answered this before, how does the player choose to kick a crate instead of using a crowbar in the hypothetical situation that they don't want to smash it?

Superficial damage on the environment is an interesting idea and worth considering!

I see what you mean about the crates... this point is especially well illustrated in this room. What if crates containing items had a shipping label on them to distinguish them from other crates? That would be an easy add.

and YES, you can switch the crowbar off! This is something I added on the last update... if you press 'E' it will unequip/equip your current weapon. BUT, this still will not save it from hungry Rust Mites >:]

---

An announcement today: Puzzle Depot is on Steam Greenlight! I know I'm already asking for support on the Kickstarter, but we could use the support on Greenlight as well: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553129733

Thank you so much everyone who has backed us, posted here, played the dailies, and everything else... the support has been awesome and is so appreciated!

---

Today's daily is another Thinky Thursday. This is a simple exercise, involving buttons, doors, and a bit of careful timing:

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »

What if crates containing items had a shipping label on them to distinguish them from other crates? That would be an easy add.

This would be an excellent solution to the problem, yes.
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

Only a handful of daily puzzles remain!

Today's Field Note Friday is review day, so use everything you have learned about the new varieties of roaches to survive this roach-filled room:

And if you didn't get your fill of swarming insects today, remember that tomorrow is Swarming Saturday again!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »

Here is a peek at some of the items that will be in Puzzle Depot, most of which do not appear in the demo. Learning how to use them all to your advantage will be key to your survival:

Weapons: We've already seen rusty crowbars in the demo, and the non-rusty variety has shown up in the daily puzzles, but there are more weapons out there to get your hands on. Shovels allow you to smash through dirt walls, but careful, the rusty ones tend to break. Riot Batons are rustproof!

Shields: Can lids are great and all, but what about a rustproof Riot Shield to scoff at those pesky Rust Mites?

Suits: It's hard to beat the Hazmat Suit, but there's dangerous terrain to contend with beyond radioactive waste. The Silversuit will render you fireproof, while the Rubber Suit shields you from electricity.

Consumables: These come in a wide variety, with wildly different capabilities. Wipe out rust with Canned Chrome, wreak havok with a Jar of Mites, or even blow stuff up with various explosives!

---

It's the last Swarming Saturday, so here is a room jam-packed with Rust Mites for you to squish:

Wakka wakka wakka...

---

We have just hit 75% of our initial goal! So close!!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2015, 09:04:17 PM »

Ah, sorry for not getting a post in earlier, I just got back home!

There's still a couple hours left for today's daily puzzle, it's the last Sokoban Sunday for the kickstarter, and it's not too tough:

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »

We have reached 80%!!

If you want to help us get the rest of the way, there is only 4 days remaining!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1781334061/puzzle-depot

---

Because we hit 80%, I wanted to show another sneak peek at a new environment to appear in the game.

The Uranium Mine:

These long-abandoned, dark tunnels are home to colonies of insects, old mining equipment, and hazardous materials.

New Mechanic

Illumination!

Bright light can trigger particular behaviors in different creatures, and toggling lamps will key in many puzzles.

Roaches scurry away from illuminated tiles, even if they are grouped with an adjacent roach! Small winged vermin, like Stingflies and Hazgnats, are instead attracted to illuminated tiles, and will travel to lighted areas that are within their line of sight, horizontally or vertically.

New Creatures

Iron Ants function just like Worker Ants, hugging the wall and they travel and digging through any dirt walls in their path, but are armored. They also hit harder than a standard ant. This species evolved as a response to encroaching colonies of Darkroaches.

Soldier Ants are 2x1 entities, and are dangerous if approached from any angle, either biting or stinging any creature that comes in range. Soldier Ants remain stationary, protecting busy workers.

A variant of Rust Mite, Dyna-Mites are extremely volatile and will detonate if damaged! Try to squish one, in you're in for a nasty surprise... although, this explosive behavior can also be put to good use, either taking out more dangerous creatures, or knocking down dirt walls.

Fireflies are a harmless type of vermin, which casts light in adjacent tiles and does little else.

New Objects

Tracks and mine carts are standard in any mine. Carts can be pushed, but only along tracks, and can also be kicked to send them rolling away. Carts holding explosive or radioactive materials are also a possibility. Carts are vulnerable to Rust Mites, and rusty carts cannot move at all!

Lamps simply cast light, and are typically toggled by a nearby button. Good for breaking up roach clusters!

New Items

The Shovel was discussed before, and this is an environment where it definitely comes in handy. Dirt walls are common, as are armored insects, and this useful tool/weapon helps with both.

The Time Bomb is a very powerful item! After setting the charge, back off, because in a few seconds it'll detonate! Why solve some complicated puzzle to open a door, when you could just blow it off its hinges?

New Characters!

"Scout"

A intelligent white rat descended from the R & D Department's many lab rats, Scout can get to places other characters cannot. This not only includes using ant burrows, but also holes in walls that could be shortcuts, or even lead to new rooms entirely!

Scout cannot equip weapons, shields, or suits, but has enough of a grasp of basic tool use to use consumables. She carries with her a small pack to hold any shiny trinkets she happens to come across. Rats are particularly fond of Füdbars, and Scout is no exception.

Only starting with one heart, and incapable of increasing either attack or defense, Scout moves through rooms quickly while avoiding confrontation. This character will be useful in certain move-based challenges, or for exploring new rooms in old areas.

? ? ?

An unknown figure in a tattered, crimson cloak, wearing a gasmask... Where did this survivor come from, and what is their identity?

Having learned to effectively scavenge the wasteland for useful items, ? ? ? starts levels with some items already in their possession. Which items exactly, and what other features this character will have are still shrouded in secrecy!

---

Today is the final, and most "Merciful" Monday puzzle yet! There are some very inconveniently placed roaches here, but don't worry, I've given you plenty of hearts and items to compensate:

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2015, 04:02:37 PM »

Power is flickering, quick daily post:

Today's daily puzzle is the last Toxic Tuesday, and it's a real mess. Watch out for those Toxroaches:

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »

A rough mockup for how the in-game map screen might look:

In addition to the primary levels, there will be smaller, challenges levels to discover.

There are only 3 days remaining to back Puzzle Depot, and there is still one custom character remaining up for grabs!

---

Today is Weaponry Wednesday, and this room is mostly just an excuse to play around with the exploding toxic barrel mechanics:

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2015, 03:45:39 AM »

Oh, that map mock-up is fantastic. I love the way it teases the player by showing them, up front, all the secret places they can visit.

Are you leaning towards keeping any of the secret areas hidden (they are only revealed on the map as the player finds them) or revealing them all from the start so the player has complete transparency on their rate of progress through the game?
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2015, 04:24:21 PM »

Oh, that map mock-up is fantastic. I love the way it teases the player by showing them, up front, all the secret places they can visit.

Are you leaning towards keeping any of the secret areas hidden (they are only revealed on the map as the player finds them) or revealing them all from the start so the player has complete transparency on their rate of progress through the game?

I'm a bit undecided, still! I might split the difference... you can only see areas that are linked to areas you've already revealed, if that makes sense. I do like the overall feel of this design, though... it has a very old-school appeal for me!

So here we are, in the final 48 hours of the Kickstarter. We're sitting at 87% of our initial funding, and I think this final push will get us the rest of the way! For anyone who wanted to pitch in, this is the time!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1781334061/puzzle-depot

There are still a couple more daily rooms to go, and today's is a tricky one. Clever use of Rust Mites is key!

Tomorrow's daily is something a bit different... stay tuned!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2015, 10:05:24 AM »

The Kickstarter is now at 92%, and we have just 31 hours to raise the remaining $368!

We are hoping for a strong finish so we can hit 100%!

Today is the final Kickstarter puzzle, which will run through Saturday as well, since that will be a shorter day. The final puzzle involves multiple rooms:

Good luck!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »

Congratulations on hitting your target!
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »

Congratulations on hitting your target!

Thank you, SirNiko! It came down to the last day, but we ended up with 106%!

It's exciting not only because now we can get the things we need to continue working on the game efficiently, but it means I can actually spend some time, y'know, working on the game.

I don't think I'll be doing daily updates, but, I will definitely be posting here about our progress.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic