Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:38:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPuzzle Depot [DEMO]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Puzzle Depot [DEMO]  (Read 16524 times)
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »

Good job with all the effects like plank bits and sparks, puzzle games tend to look overly static, so it's a wise choice.

Agreed! Not always a bad thing, mind you, but for Puzzle Depot I would really like to make the graphical style more exciting and "adventurey" than your standard box-pusher. Here's some more of the new effects in action, also showing some of the variations of the roach enemy:

Albino Protoroaches are weaker than the standard roach, and when retreating they will continue to move until encountering an obstacle or another roach, rather than moving just 1 tile.

Darkroaches are bad news, as they hit harder than the standard roach, and also have a point of armor. Don’t even try attacking unless you’ve got a crowbar, or you’ll end up like this guy.

Ignore that mouse pointer there. Also, the damage numbers are supposed to be red, and points show up in white... I must've broke that.

Back to work!

junondanon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »

Ha that player death animation is great. This game looks to be a blast. Just planned for PC?
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »

Ha that player death animation is great. This game looks to be a blast. Just planned for PC?

Thanks, junondanon!

PC, Mac, potentially mobile... anything else will depend largely on the Kickstarter (more news on that soon). I think it could do well on Steam, so that's definitely something we're looking at as well.

doliveira87
Level 0

Hakuna matata

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

I have to agree with QOG, because Puzzle Depot is very much alive with those effects and animations.
Are you planning to launch soon?

Congrats!

Currently working on: Mana Spark
@doliveira87
redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »

Looks awesome OttBot! I love puzzle games so I will definitely be checking this out when it's released.
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »

Thanks doliveira87 and redsuinit!

If things go smoothly, there will be a playable demo by Oct 1st... Launch won't be for a while, we still have a kickstarter to do. Launch will be sometime next year, no solid date yet though!

redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »

Thanks doliveira87 and redsuinit!

If things go smoothly, there will be a playable demo by Oct 1st... Launch won't be for a while, we still have a kickstarter to do. Launch will be sometime next year, no solid date yet though!

Very cool.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 12:21:02 AM »

Posting to subscribe. Looks super cool.

It seems like you (effortlessly? probably not lol) come up with coherent, interesting mechanics, and the visuals are super pleasant. Great job!
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

Posting to subscribe. Looks super cool.

It seems like you (effortlessly? probably not lol) come up with coherent, interesting mechanics, and the visuals are super pleasant. Great job!

Things will get even more interesting once I start introducing additional families of objects/creatures... but that's for down the road. I'm at an advantage design-wise since this is based on an older game of mine, and most of the mechanics are essentially the same. That game was all ASCII art though, so this time I'm able to focus a lot more on the aesthetics.

Here's what the old version (Depot Dungeons) looked like:

Here's a gif from Puzzle Depot from today... just finished adding screen shake:

Battling enemies is much more feasible with some equipment. Crowbars and other tools increase your attack power, getting around armored enemies, while a garbage can lid can shield you against incoming attacks. Just watch out for those Rust Mites...

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »

Looks great, posting to follow.

It would be cool if you include the ASCII version as a selectable graphics option, just for fun Smiley

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 11:09:48 AM »

Looks great, posting to follow.

It would be cool if you include the ASCII version as a selectable graphics option, just for fun Smiley

I was thinking about it, actually... since the tiles are a different shape, it wouldn't be a true ASCII mode, but, I could definitely capture the feel of it. If there's enough interest in it I might just do this! Thanks :]

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »

It’s easy to get injured in Puzzle Depot, and a lot harder to restore those lost hearts. In a pinch, you can munch on a Füdco brand Füdbar to restore a measly one heart. Hey, it’s better than nothing!

You can carry up to three miscellaneous consumables, such as Füdbars. I'll be adding plenty more items as time goes on, some can have quite dramatic effects on objects or the environment.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »

With a crowbar in hand, you're powerful enough to destroy rusty objects and also toxic barrels... in the case of the latter, this can be dangerous as toxic waste will cover the surrounding area...

...but this can also be used as a weapon! Also present are Toxroaches, which are completely immune to the effects of radiation. Don't try this trick on them.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »

Here is an example of how one can use those terrible Rust Mites to their advantage, by turning a 2x2 Metal Crate into two 1x1 rusty chunks:

Also note how once a corner of the crate has been chewed away, it can be moved away from the wall. Advanced object interactions like these will be imperative for the expert levels!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 07:46:54 AM »

Need an extra item to get through a difficult room? Use the Union Freight Operations automated delivery drone! It’ll cost you a few points, but, in a pinch it can prevent getting stuck:

The cost for a particular item doubles with each purchase, so spend your points carefully. Besides purchasing items or getting a highscore at the end of the dungeon, hoarding points has another purpose: Extra HP are awarded when you accumulate enough points. This is analogous to leveling up in an RPG. Get as many points as you can by defeating enemies, destroying objects, and activating mechanisms!

Using all your resources wisely - HP, Items, and Points - is a key gameplay mechanic. Sometimes you'll have to sacrifice something to progress.

charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »

Ah, hey I spotted this on Tumblr last night.
It looks really interesting.
I'm a fan of the industrial waste style.
And the puzzles/mechanics look decently inventive.
I'm looking forward to this; nice work!

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »

Ah, hey I spotted this on Tumblr last night.
It looks really interesting.
I'm a fan of the industrial waste style.
And the puzzles/mechanics look decently inventive.
I'm looking forward to this; nice work!

Thanks, charliecarlo!

Another useful consumable is the Hazcap:

Not only does it purge toxic waste and other hazardous spills, but it also exterminates small vermin, such as Rust Mites! The Hazcap’s area of effect is a 3x3 zone, so make sure to get the mites on a diagonal… if you move adjacent, they’ll still eat your metal items before you can use the Hazcap.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »

Collecting Punchcards is optional, and often a difficult prospect. Getting your hands on them often requires a sacrifice of some resource. Punchcards will be used to unlock extra content... I'm still working out the details of exactly how that will function.

This gif also shows a couple quirks of the game’s physics. You’ll noticed pushable objects can be pushed over the top of items, which is a bit weird, but it prevents situations where a small item is blocking a crate from being pushed. It worked the same way in Depot Dungeons, and I feel it’s the best way to handle it. Also notice how the 2x1 crate doesn’t fall into the pit… realistically, it should tumble in there since it’s hanging halfway over the edge, but, objects will only fall in pits if they completely overlap. Again, kinda weird, but I think it will work better for gameplay.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »

A big gif for today, demonstrating several mechanics coming together in a complete room:

Getting close to Oct 1st... still much to do before the demo release! Back to work!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »

This is super gorgeous. The design sounds great, and I love the idea of levels with multiple solutions or letting the player trade points for items. All you need is a good variety of puzzle designs, and this is destined to be a hit. This is the sort of game I'd happily purchase.

Will there be story elements to it, such as reading discarded logbooks to learn about the facilities you're exploring?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic