Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:52:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPuzzle Depot [DEMO]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Puzzle Depot [DEMO]  (Read 16519 times)
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »

I had posted about this game on twitter before because I thought the roaches looked really cute. But now I played the demo and this game has a lot more going for it than just cute graphics. I really like your level design and the over all pacing of the story is really good and charming. I love all the little NPCs, you've taken the concept of "warehouse workers" and really given it a lot of personality and charm.

The music is nice and relaxing too.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

This looks cool.  There aren't a lot of these turn-based puzzle games around nowadays with this much effort put into the art and presentation.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:28 AM »

Thanks for playing, everyone! Reading the comments and watching people stream the demo, I'm really glad that people "get it" when it comes to the gameplay (aside from the previously mentioned control issues). Rough ETA for next update is end of next week!

I wanted to take a moment to give shout-outs to my audio team and the awesome work they have done:

Thoughdoo: https://soundcloud.com/thdpro
Kaikairos (Dan): https://soundcloud.com/dan_lower
ElectroManiacal (Corban): https://soundcloud.com/electromaniacal

These guys have really nailed the aesthetic and I couldn't do this without them!

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »

Looks interesting. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »

The official trailer for Puzzle Depot is finished!

Image from the trailer:

KICKSTARTER LAUNCH Oct 22nd!
...if all goes well!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »

Just played and beat the demo. I agree with the clicking onstuff being a bit awkward, but the game is SO GOOD.
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »

Just played and beat the demo. I agree with the clicking onstuff being a bit awkward, but the game is SO GOOD.

Thanks, battlerager!

Big news today, and sorry for not getting a post in earlier...

The Puzzle Depot Kickstarter is now live!

There is a new version of the demo available at http://ottbot.itch.io/puzzledepot, which not only includes some updates, but also allows you to play the Kickstarter daily rooms! For the next 30 days there will be a new room available to play every day.

Updates in version 0.16 :

- Adjusting scoring on hearts and certain items
- WASD controls! Finally!
- Restart now happens instantly when you press 'R', rather than a delay
- Pressing 'E' will unequip the weapon you are currently carrying, in case you'd rather kick a crate than smash it. This does not protect the item from Rust Mites!
- Minor graphical and text changes
- Fixed glitch with skipping 2nd cutscene
- Can switch to fullscreen by pressing 'F' from the main menu
- Dialogue boxes can be closed by pressing space
- You can kick Vendos for extra snacks!
- Ability to save screenshots from the score screen
- Addition of "Daily Room" to the main menu, for the 30-day Kickstarter!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:44:53 AM by Ottbot » Logged

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »

We are 20% funded as of this morning!

Today's room is the first Field Note Friday, in which we will analyze a genetic mutation of the common Protoroach in its natural environment:

I talked about the Albino Roach before in the dev log, but they did not make an appearance in the demo rooms.

Known bugs in the current build:

- If you load a saved game, then restart the room, it will restart from the room you were in before loading. This can also cause an audio glitch. Moving to another room fixes this behavior. Not game-breaking, but it is strange and irritating.

- Need to improve how screenshots are handled, I believe the directory they save to is hidden by default... not entirely useful Tongue

- One report of a memory leak. If anyone else experiences memory problems, please let me know so I can investigate further!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:44:35 AM by Ottbot » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »

I love room a day idea for the kickstarter period.
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »

Kickstarter is 27% funded as of today!

Today's daily room is the first Swarming Saturday, features challenging roach-filled rooms:

This room involves some more advanced roach and barrel mechanics. Give it a shot!

As people have been participating in the daily rooms and posting their scores, it's given me more insight into the scoring system. At this point, bonus points for low turn count are based on a "par" number (the Efficiency goal in the demo dungeon), and any turn count below that par becomes increasingly more valuable. With the daily rooms, it seems like the amount of points given for below-par turn counts is a bit high... I will likely be readjusting the scoring system as time goes on.

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »

This is looking better with every update. It reminds me of Chip's Challenge back in the day. The graphics are really clean and really suit the game perfectly.

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »

This is looking better with every update. It reminds me of Chip's Challenge back in the day. The graphics are really clean and really suit the game perfectly.

There's definitely some similarities with Chip's Challenge! Basically, if you liked that, you'll like this.

I'm working on assembling art assets for the next environment in Puzzle Depot, the Great Alkali Basin:

Each new environment brings with it new creatures, objects, and items, with new interactions to consider. Pictured above are Isopedes, Termites, Stingflies, and a new terrain, Goop. I'll be getting more into their functions, soon!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:15:14 PM by Ottbot » Logged

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »

Our Kickstarter is 29% funded!

We had a really great start, but pledges have slowed and we sure could use your help spreading the word! Give us a shout-out, or participate in the daily challenge!

Today's daily is the first Sokoban Sunday... after the last couple roach-filled rooms, I'll give you all a little break. No bugs here, just some basic, relaxing box-pushing:

Post scores on Twitter with hashtag #PuzzleDepot!

---

The next environment to be added, The Great Alkali Basin, brings with it plenty of new objects/creatures. Herds of pillbug-like Isopedes are a common sight in the basin:

These are harmless creatures who feed off of toxic waste. By pushing them into the right position, this behavior can be used to mop up hazardous waste and clear a path! When rolled into a ball, they can be rolled with a kick, much like a barrel. Variants of Isopedes also exist, including the heavily-armored Ironpede.

Isopedes and many other creatures are making a return from Depot Dungeons, although with some changes to their mechanics. Isopedes, for example, can now be up to 3 tiles long.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:44:07 AM by Ottbot » Logged

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »

I would support in a second if I wasn't unemployed.  Cry

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »

I would support in a second if I wasn't unemployed.  Cry

No worries, just give us a shout-out on social media or something :]

We are 31% funded as of today!

I took it easier on everyone today with the first "Merciful" Monday, in which I provided some extra hearts to solve this room:

...You'll need 'em >:]

This room is a good example of the "multiple solutions" design philosophy used in Puzzle Depot. There's a few ways of getting through this one, some worth a lot more points than others...

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »

We are 33% funded as of today!

Today's daily puzzle is the first Toxic Tuesday, featuring radioactive terrain and objects:

This one's not as tricky as the last couple days were.

Just a brief update for today, tomorrow I'll have something more substantial!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2015, 06:29:26 PM »

What does the t-shirt for the kickstarter look like?
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2015, 09:05:26 PM »

I haven't designed it yet... I was thinking that if the Kickstarter does well enough that I would commission someone for a design, because honestly I'm better with small pixel sprites than I am with larger designs.

I was thinking the same thing for the poster.

I'm going to be revisiting this piece, because there's a lot of improvements to be made:

But I think the design would work well for the poster, possibly the shirt as well?

Sorry that I don't have a more concrete design in mind for the shirt at this point... I'm a stickler for quality so it's not something I want to skimp on!

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »

Pixel art just makes me want to play games. It's so powerful to me. Your pixel art in this game is great. Someday I will do a pixel art game too...!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »

Pixel art just makes me want to play games. It's so powerful to me. Your pixel art in this game is great. Someday I will do a pixel art game too...!

I feel the same way about pixel art, so I wouldn't mind seeing it on a poster or shirt, personally. Thanks Xonatron! If you want to get into it, best thing is just to jump in... takes a lot of practice, but there's some great tutorials and resources out there!

Here is a look at a new terrain type being introduced in Great Alkali Basin: Goop.

In practice, goop functions much like pits; anything that falls into it will plummet to the bottom. The exception to this rule is wood crates, which can be pushed into goop tiles to fill them in, forming a path! This is one of several new puzzle mechanics to consider in this new environment. I'm still working on the particulars of this mechanic, but it should factor pretty heavily into this level.

---

Today's daily puzzle is an easy one for the first Weaponry Wednesday. Grab that rusty crowbar and start smashing stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic