Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:15:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting(VREC) Video Review Exchange Collaboration
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: (VREC) Video Review Exchange Collaboration  (Read 4127 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2015, 04:13:26 AM »

Hello guys!

I don't know in which thread this would belong so feel free to move it around if it doesn't belong here.

What's VREC?

Mostly a silly acronym. But really it's about reviewing each other games. The idea is to make videos of 10 minutes long (minimum) to give feedback about other indie developer games.

What does it entail?

As you give, you shall receive.

Basically, when you have your game reviewed (or I should tested) for feedback, you need to provide a video of your own. In other words, anyone who'd like to be part of the exchange will contribute something in return.

Here's an example:

-I apply to have my game tested.
-I add that game to the list of games waiting to be tested.
-Derek makes a video testing of my game for 10 minutes.
-I then pick out another game in the list waiting to be tested and make a video of my own.

I don't mind managing the thread (or have a moderator do it if they feel like it).

I think it'd be a good opportunity to share feedback about each other games.

Let me know if some of you would be interested to participate.

Games Waiting to be Tested (Alphabetical Order):

Cuboid, gravitroid, uggs-eggs by monsterfinger
Devlog: N/A
Download: Click here to download!
Tested by Marcgfx: Click here to watch!
Tested by alvarop:

Cyberlympics by Marcgfx
Devlog: Click here!
Download: Click here to download!.
Tested by Zizka:

Tested by alvarop:

To be tested by:
-monsterfinger

Super Renegade Response by monsterfingers
Devlog: Unavailable
Download: Click here to download!
Tested by Zizka: Click here to watch!
To be tested by:
N/A

Super Toaster X by Zizka
Devlog: Click here.
Download: Not yet available
Tested by:
alvarop November 15th build:

Marcgfx November 2nd build: Click here to watch!
To be tested by:
-Marcgfx
-alvarop
-monsterfingers

Yours,

Z.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:31:33 AM by Zizka » Logged

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »

Hi id be very interested in this, hope it becomes a thing.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »

I don't mind giving your game a shot if you want  Smiley.

I couldn't find a link anywhere however.

Let me know!  Grin

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »

Cool thanks. We have a few depending on what platforms you can record off.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 02:19:26 AM »

sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of something similar, just based on comments. If someone comments on my devlog, I will always make sure to give at least a comment back. if I am the one to start commenting and never get anything back, I tend to restrain myself from commenting again. for me this place should be a two-way street as everyone who comments is also giving you some of their time for free.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:31:54 AM »

@Monsterfinger: I only have a laptop so this is what I would use to record.

@Marcgfx: Well, what goes around comes around I think. This is just a way to put things clearly so that people know what their expectations are. I prefer the video format as I find it more informative. It's more "work" to do but it's actually faster than writing so it evens up.

If you are interested in participating, make sure to provide a link with your message so that I can add it to the first post.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:09 AM »

sure thing: http://data.cyberlympics.com/html/nav.html
use:Googles Chrome Browser
Test: Championship A
missing: final score screen, some kind of reward

of course there is also the question of how easily something is downloaded/installed. maybe some people are more/less willing to test specific genres. I guess we can just see how it goes Smiley
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:42:32 AM by marcgfx » Logged

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 06:50:49 AM »

Alright, so I gave your game a shot, MarcGfx. Other people can still test it but you'll have to test their games in return too (just like you'll test mine when it's out). So when you have enough feedback about your game, let me know so that I can remove it for the list.

Unfortunately, I can't get the audio to work, there's only silence in the video, I don't understand why that is. I know it worked, I can see the audio graph going up and down but I can't hear anything!

I'll try to fix it and send it to you otherwise, well, someone else will have to give it a shot!

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »

well thanks for giving it a go zizka. sounds like a weird problem (great pun?). I hope you did not have a hard time figuring out the controls. I used to have a different start-menu where the keys were configurable. I only just added the keyboard/gamepad-infos to the settings menu, so you can at least see the keys. currently you can use all 4 settings + gamepad at the same time. the whole keyboard stuff was designed for multiplayer (not activated atm). the fire and special button are of little interest. but it's quite good to know that there is a strong-left and strong-right. I usually play with the numpad.

I was just thinking this thread might be better suited for the playtesting subforum Smiley

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 02:33:53 AM »

Yes, it was pretty fun.

It's really weird:

You can see the audio is there but I can't hear anything when I press "play". I can send you the project file if you want. You could try to make the audio work. I'm still trying though!

Could a moderator move this thread to the playtesting subforum please?

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 03:45:02 AM »

just had a look at that picture, maybe this is the issue: music/ silent machine

http://www.ezvid.com/ezvid_with_no_music

...Want to remove or silence the default or built-in music from Ezvid, or use your own music? Ezvid is designed to create videos which will be *allowed* on youtube — and the most important part of being YouTube legal is to only use music which either you created yourself...

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 06:48:46 AM »

So I had to redo this 3 times but here it is:

I've modified the original post.

I've added the devlogs in the original message. If you'd like to have your devlog listed, kindly provide the link. Also, make sure you mention the name of your game when submitting so I don't have to look around to find it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:56:24 AM by Zizka » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »

thanks for the video, worked this time Smiley
visuals were bad quality, but important was to hear your voice.
I noticed the key-settings blunder last night, but by then it was already too late Smiley nothing to do with your computer, there was just nothing behind the button. working on it now.

the menu is still very wip. I will add some kind of track-preview and infos to the cars, I was not sure about that until now.

the car/environment are destructible. that was harder to notice without the extras Sad
tire marks appear if you are skidding fast enough, also extras Smiley
the car gets smaller, because an opponent used a shrink extra. no bug Smiley but I think I must make it more clear that something is happening. maybe flashing or so. also the sound is two quiet.

I noticed you did an extra lap on the last race, as you skipped two checkpoints at once. I should add some info when this occurs e.g. turn back.

some nice ideas, unfortunately very hard to do. you mentioned jumps on my devblog and I actually added them (was quite a lot work). the thing is, they were annoying in the game. I will need a real track-editor to make jumps fun, positioning is very important. also the AI was kind of lost with the new jumps. as its all just 2d graphics, things like trees falling on roads is out of the question. it also makes 3d terrain pointless, as I would have to have car picutures from so many more angles. switching to 3d now is too crazy, it would mean ditching the entire art. but yes, I agree, sometimes it would be nice to have 3d.

will be watching the video again, thanks for your effort Smiley

P.S. by the way, you call me greg for the last two minutes...

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »

I'm hoping tonight I can try these.

Here is our Gamejolt page and happy for reviews/videos on any of our titles really.

http://gamejolt.com/profile/monster-finger-games/351397
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 06:07:40 AM »

I checked out 3 games in 15min for monster finger games - cuboid, gravitroid, uggs-eggs
I was mostly confused, rarely entertained. I do think the games have potential, but need a lot of polish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXHtf0EZNo&feature=youtu.be

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »

Hi i appreciate that, the games you have tried are all unfinished. You may find Rush Hour Mayhem better
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

might have been good of you to give that information Wink
by saying "any of our titles really" I assumed they were all in a playable state. for some reason those were the ones listed at the top, maybe that can be changed?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:17:35 PM by marcgfx » Logged

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »

Hi yeah sorry about that, our finished games are on Ouya and we tend to use Gamejolt to test new ideas hence alot of unfinished stuff. Uggs Eggs is our latest title so it was good to hear your thoughts on it. Im confused as didnt realise there was a problem with Cuboid.

We have Super Renegade Response which is a finished demo of sorts of our Ouya game, the gamejolt edition of Rush Hour Mayhem and Colour Combat which is also complete.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »

Cool marcgfx! I'll watch the video when I come back from work.

@monsterfinger: Don't forget that you owe marcgfx a testplay of his game  Wink. Try not to delay too long if possible. If you end up playtesting an outdated version of his game, there's little use to it.

I've edited the first message. Please limit yourself to one game in the future.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 02:34:08 AM »

no need to worry about the outdated part, I'm constantly updating. but it's possible that one of the updates introduces a bug...

what I do wonder though: this forum area is for playtesting. but it seems very few are willing to test other peoples games, but expect theirs to be tested? or is the "make a video" part too much work?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:01:37 AM by marcgfx » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic