Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:27:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Blast Off! - Green Alien vs Cats! (2D Action Platformer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Blast Off! - Green Alien vs Cats! (2D Action Platformer)  (Read 2197 times)
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »

Game Summary:

In search of an adventure, Ero travels through the galaxy in his spaceship when a malfunction causes him to crash land on a mysterious island located on Earth. Our hero quickly finds out that some “cats” just don’t want to be friends. Follow Ero on an adventure to fix his spaceship, collect items, score the most points in style, and blast the almighty Mr. Fat Cat and his cronies in a litter box of machine randomized worlds!

Features:

• Randomized procedurally generated levels
  • Randomly generated enemies, bosses, and items
  • Detailed driven competitive score system with online leaderboards

Platforms: Mac & Windows

Release Date: TBD

=====================

Every Game Needs a Ero

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #2. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

Hey everyone!

It’s been a very long time since I’ve written an update about Paragonyx’s first game; March 1st, 2015 to be exact. A whole lot has happened between now and then.

At that point, Paragonyx was only a few months old and Super Blast Off! was just an idea for a 2D platformer with a very raw working prototype that didn’t even contain the main feature: random procedurally generated levels.

Fast forward a few months to today and I am happy to state that we are nearing completion of the pre-alpha build. We will hit that milestone next Friday; September 11th to be exact. The pre-alpha build is generating random procedural levels rather nicely. Of course, there is still a lot of work to do but the state it is in is rather impressive. We can restart the level as many times as we want and we’ll get a different variation every time. It is unlike anything that is currently on the market but don’t quote me on that!

While Mike has been busy with the programming side, our very talented artist Mike (yes, we have two Mike’s on the team) has been busy with everything from character concept art to animation and everything in between. I have a bunch of art to show off and I will be doing so for the remainder of the game’s development along with GIFs. Gameplay video will come later on when we’re ready to show off Super Blast Off!

As a studio, we’re striving very hard to create a great game, plain and simple. And it will be evident in everything that we do from art to sound design to programming to marketing. Mediocrity is not in our vocabulary.

Anyway, I’ll stop talking and finally show off some art! This week’s showcase is the protagonist of Super Blast Off! Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Ero…

Bringing tighty whities back!

“I wonder what’s over there…”

Ero in several action poses.

Ero in several action poses (again).

Ero’s feeling a certain type of way…

Next week we show off GIFs of Ero. Good times ahead!

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/every-game-needs-a-ero/

=====================

Follow Paragonyx!

Paragonyx.com | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr |
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:30:58 PM by Paragonyx » Logged
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »

Ero's Got the Moves

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #3. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

When we came up with the idea of Super Blast Off!, we looked back to the Mario franchise because not only does it occupy a special place in our hearts but also because of what it did for the platformer genre. Some would even argue that Mario invented platformers. Regardless, we want to help break the 2D platformer genre out of the proverbial chains of what it’s supposed to be. And for our first game, that starts with how you play…

I’ve always felt that most 2D platformers were too limited to a few basic movements like jumping, shooting, and walking. It is these movements along with the challenge of the AI that makes up most of the essence of these games. In Super Blast Off!, you will be able to do a lot more than that.

When we created Ero, we designed a character that is light and acrobatic. He is going to be able to do a lot in the environment that he occupies and you won’t feel like his feet are stuck to the ground.

We know that one of the challenges in creating a great game is making sure that the game feels fluid and that is largely based on the controls. The controls will not be a challenge to pick-up the first time you play the game as we’re aiming for intuitiveness. From fighting enemies to traversing the levels, we want you to say, “oh wow, this feels great!” And at this stage, it sure feels awesome… but of course, I’m biased.

Unfortunately, I am not able to show off all of Ero’s moves and abilities because what fun would it be to spoil all the surprises now? We rather save it for later. The good news is that we do have some animations to show off. In case you wonder, Ero is animated using Spine.

Walking.

Running.

Jumping.

Double jumping.

Next week, we introduce Super Blast Off!’s main bad guy, Mr. Fat Cat!

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/eros-got-the-moves/
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »

I Can Has More Power?

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #4. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

In the past 2 weeks, we have shown off Super Blast Off’s playable hero, Ero (pardon the rhyme). But what’s a video game without the main bad guy that attempts to make our hero’s adventure a difficult one? Imagine a Mario game without Bowser or Batman without the Joker. It wouldn’t be so exciting, huh?

Our game’s main villain is a wealthy, greedy, and powerful individual who runs the daily operations at Meow Enterprise as the Chief Executive Officer. He just so happens to be a cat. But don’t let that fact fool you. He is willing to go to extreme lengths to get what he wants; all for the sole purpose of advancing his company and the price of its stock.

His name is Mr. Fat Cat. And he wears a suit… without pants. And he has more money than all of us combined. He is part of the 1% and laughs at us, the 99%.

What does he look like? I’m glad you asked…

Initial concept art for Mr. Fat Cat.

Fine-tuning Mr. Fat Cat’s look.

Mr. Fat Cat action poses.

Every CEO has a portrait.

CEO of Meow Enterprise, Mr. Fat Cat!

I know you’re probably wondering: what does a cat do with all that money? That’s a great question but unfortunately, it will remain a great mystery.

Next week, we show off another boss that you will face in Super Blast Off!

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/i-can-has-more-power/
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »

One Really Really Ridiculously Good Looking Cat

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #5. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

So now that you’ve been introduced to Ero and Mr. Fat Cat, Super Blast Off!’s main characters, we can start showing off the rest of the bosses that you will encounter and fight throughout Ero's journey.

What exactly is this adventure and the point of it? Without giving too much away: Ero is trying to head back home but he can’t do so with a wrecked spaceship. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but Mr. Fat Cat and his executive team of conniving cats don’t want that to happen for reasons that will be explored later.

This week’s character introduction is Mr. Fat Cat’s own son, Mr. Fat Cat Jr. (clever name, huh?). Future heir of Meow Enterprise, he is more concerned with how good his hair looks than the future of the company his dad built. But he is as dangerous and uses his hand mirror for more than just self-admiration. He’s one cat you will have to keep an eye on (but don’t stare for too long).

Initial sketches.

Getting closer.

“I look good but something’s off.”

“Hmmm…”

“There we go. That tie was really constricting.”

Looking purrrdy.

In the next update, we continue with boss introductions and this one will be HUGE.

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/one-really-really-ridiculously-good-looking-cat/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:01:57 PM by Paragonyx » Logged
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »

I'm loving the character designs! Incredibly expressive.
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »

I'm loving the character designs! Incredibly expressive.

Thank you for your compliment!

- Alexis
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »

Get In My Belly!

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #6. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

Last week, I mentioned that this update would be huge. And when I say huge, I am referring to the next boss introduction.

As we all know, some cats love to do things like play with yarn. I haven’t actually seen cats play with yarn but that’s what cartoons showed me so I assume that’s what they do. Anyhow, this boss wouldn’t play with yarn, he would eat it. He likes food… really really likes food. And what he lacks in mobility, he makes up for in damage.

Take a look at how huge he is. But he’s just so suave with that tuxedo bib…

Initial sketch.

He’s coming to life!

“I’m a classy slob…”

Now let’s add color!

“Feed me more!”

In other news, we are in the middle of the very first Orlando Interactive Experience. It’s a cool convention geared towards start-ups, game developers, and everything in between within the local Orlando area. It’s great to talk to other independent game developers and see how far they’ve come along.

I plan to write a more elaborate post about our experience at Orlando IX. Look for it sometime in the middle of this week.

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/get-in-my-belly/
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »

A Way Overdue Update

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #7. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

It has been a little less than a year ago since our last update. And wow does time indeed fly.

In our last blog post, I mentioned our visit to the first Orlando Interactive Experience or OrlandoIX. We promised to write about our experience but honestly, there was nothing really interesting to write about other than the cool games that we saw. We were simply there as spectators gamers.

But to bring it back full circle, we’re excited to announce that we have reserved a booth and will be showcasing Super Blast Off! at the second annual event. This year’s OrlandoIX will be taking place from October 14 to October 16 at the Orange County Convention Center. If you’re near Central Florida, definitely check out the event and pass by our booth to play Super Blast Off! We can’t wait for you to try it out and hear your feedback.

Anyway, progress on our game is going great as we’re currently in our alpha phase. Admittedly, we had slowed down a bit primarily due to the technology behind our level generation. It basically boiled down to not having the resources to pull it off. It was somewhat disheartening but we did not want to spend upwards of a year on just that when the rest of the game also needs to be worked on. And in the end, we came up with a solution that results in what we originally aimed to achieve: nonrepetitive levels. It all works out in the end.

Because we have made progress, we are ready to start pulling back the curtain on Super Blast Off! In our prior updates, we mostly showed off concept art. The reason for that was simple: we did not have actual gameplay to show off. But we also thought that some of you would appreciate it. It’s hard to say whether or not that was the case but we’ll definitely keep showing it off in future updates. But it’s also assumed that you guys, for the most part, want to see the actual game. And that is with what I will end this short but much-needed update with; some animated gifs of Ero in action!

Let's do this.

Uhh… you’re missing an eye!

Smooth…

Enjoy and let us know what you think.

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/a-way-overdue-update/
MikeD
Level 0

wello horld!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »

Nice to finally start seeing Ero come alive!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

For those of you in Central Florida, come check out Orlando IX in October. We saw a few of you local devs last year. Here is the website:
http://www.orlandoix.com/

Come on out and play some Super Blast Off! this October!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:32:25 PM by MikeD » Logged
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »

The Blast in Super Blast Off!

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #8. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

This week’s update is short and sweet.

Mike, our CTO and code monkey extraordinaire, implemented a new projectile and particle effect for our shooting mechanic. This is a huge visual improvement as our last one was just placeholder until we got around to it. Huge props to our artist who also happens to be named Mike. I am going to share a fun fact about him.

Mike, our artist, also worked on the game art for Fuzion Frenzy on the original Xbox. Of course, this is just one of the many games he has worked on but it is the one that has always stood out to me the most. The main reason being that I really enjoyed it at the time and think it is an underrated game. So imagine how excited we were to bring on Mike to our team when we found out.

Anyhow, that is it for this week. Thanks for reading!

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/the-blast-in-super-blast-off/
longneckgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »

Your animations look really smooth. Really nice work.
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 04:25:12 AM »

Your animations look really smooth. Really nice work.

Thank you for the comment! Smiley

- Alexis
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »

The Grass Is Always Greener on the Other Side

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #9. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

Progress on Super Blast Off! is coming along as we rapidly approach OrlandoIX. Even though we are eager to show off our game, we definitely do feel some pressure. And some of it comes from ensuring that our first public demonstration of the game meets the standard we have set for ourselves. And of course, having enough time to include everything that we want to show off.

The best way I can describe what we are feeling is “bittersweet.” We cannot wait for you to play the game but at the same time, we like the feeling of not being in crunch mode. Hence the title of this blog post. It also happens to be that we’re showing off some environmental grass. So I had to tie it in somehow…

Look at that dust cloud.

Look at the grass move!

Also, keen observers will notice that we have added a shadow to Ero so that he looks like he’s actually in the level.

Anyhow, we would love to hear some feedback on the visuals so far!

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/the-grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:37:19 PM by Paragonyx » Logged
Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »

This is Super Blast Off! game development update #10. One of many in a series of posts set to follow the progress of our first game.

We are officially two weeks away from OrlandoIX 2016! What that means is that there will only be two game development updates from here until then. So let’s get to it.

This week, we wanted to show off one of the common enemies you will encounter in our playable demo. Codenamed “Thorn Spitter,” this stationary enemy shoots, you guessed it, thorns!

Watch it grow!

“You gotta be quicker than that!”

“Thorn Spitter” will prove to be more challenging when there are many of it on the screen. We will be looking forward to your feedback at OrlandoIX.

And for those not attending the event, who knows? Maybe we’ll give you a chance to play the same demo. If so, stay tuned!

Note: This update was originally posted at our blog - http://www.paragonyx.com/game-development/a-thorn-in-your-side/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:01:20 PM by Paragonyx » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic