Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:54:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDiaries of a Spaceport Janitor - an anti-adventure game by SUNDAE MONTH
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor - an anti-adventure game by SUNDAE MONTH  (Read 11471 times)
Bradford Horton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:54:15 AM »

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor is an anti-adventure game about picking up trash in an alien bazaar. You play as the Janitor, an Alaensee woman with a municipally-subsidized trash incineration job and dreams of leaving the planet of Xabran's Rock far behind her.

Explore the spaceport!

Eat perception-altering hallucinogenic eyeballs!

Suffer through an ancient curse placed upon you by a mysterious, screaming skull!

As you clean up the spaceport with your trusty Incinitron, discover unique and flavorful pieces of trash that reveal the adventurous culture of the planet you're stuck on... and, if you're lucky, a way off it.

Do you dare enter the dangerous sewer dungeons beneath the city, in search of treasure? Or will you execute your menial, thankless custodial duties forever?

Stay tuned for more information about an upcoming preview build and, later on, the full release! If you want to see older posts about our development process, check out our development blog at praystation9.tumblr.com!

The Diaries team is:

Bradford Horton, writing and game production

James Shasha, writing, game design, and art direction

Campbell Fletcher, 3D art

Tristen Wade, 3D art

Jam Stangel, 2D character art

Xiomara Isaac, 2D character art

George Sutherland Howard, 2D art help

Matt Briganti, music

Jack Yeates, sound design

Follow us on twitter @sundaemonth! https://twitter.com/SundaeMonth <3
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:25:52 AM by Bradford Horton » Logged
heartbeast
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »

The colors are quite nice. Already 90% complete. That is great.
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »

woah, just found out about the game on twitter and already on 90%  Beer!
love the art style and how brigh the palette is, it gives me the impression that everything is crowded and loud

Bradford Horton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »

We took some new gifs to show off our neat environments and some very nice VFX!

The covered market

(imgur converted these ones to videos because I guess they're too big? IF anyone knows how to embed gifv files here on TIGForums please message me! <3)

Falling leaves at the shrine to Thedelule
http://i.imgur.com/dkZVEwp.gifv

The back-alley shrine to Aggra Mona
http://i.imgur.com/7j03ile.gifv

Ships over the spaceport at night
http://i.imgur.com/g4Vb7n5.gifv

Approaching the Ziggurat
http://i.imgur.com/fi9oiLl.gifv
Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »

Love the look of this!
For GIFs, you can just get rid of that v at the end of the url.
archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »

I'm totally down with the idea of an anti-adventure game; there needs to be more slice-of-life games out there. Your meshing of low-poly and pixel aesthetic, with that color palette is really money; my imagination ran wild just from the screen shots I saw warpdoor reblog on tumblr. I'm actually sad I didn't come across this game sooner; I wish tigsource was more pro-active about uploading devlog stuff on tumblr, then I wouldn't miss stuff like this!

Super excited about the preview build!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:02:42 AM »

Sign me up for the preview build. Stuff like this is my kinda thing. Keep those gifs coming too.

pixel-boy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:11:10 AM »

Wow awesome art :O

pottering
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »

Wow, that's a pretty amazing looking world.
troyduguid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 04:45:56 AM »

love this project! been following it on tumblr. will now be following it here too Wink Beer!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 05:27:17 AM »

Wow, neat! Makes me think of early ps1 games. Xenogears comes to mind. So the gist of the game is picking up trash? Are there stories behind each dirty rag? Or is the fun in exploring the city?

Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »

Dig the style, the low resolution rendering in particular, although the noisy patters (forgot what the phenomenon is actually called, sorry) from sub-pixel details bugs me a bit. Are you planning to resolve that somehow?
Also I'm not too sold on the character being a flat sprite. I like the look of the skull a lot more which I assume is a mesh.

Will follow with interest! Smiley
Bradford Horton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »

The colors are quite nice. Already 90% complete. That is great.

Thanks yeah! We're so excited to be almost done @_@

woah, just found out about the game on twitter and already on 90%  Beer!
love the art style and how brigh the palette is, it gives me the impression that everything is crowded and loud

That is the exact impression we are hoping to give! Thanks so much! (and Beer! is right!)

Love the look of this!
For GIFs, you can just get rid of that v at the end of the url.

Thanks! And maybe I'm just incapable but this fix isn't working for me?

I'm totally down with the idea of an anti-adventure game; there needs to be more slice-of-life games out there. Your meshing of low-poly and pixel aesthetic, with that color palette is really money; my imagination ran wild just from the screen shots I saw warpdoor reblog on tumblr. I'm actually sad I didn't come across this game sooner; I wish tigsource was more pro-active about uploading devlog stuff on tumblr, then I wouldn't miss stuff like this!

Super excited about the preview build!

Wow wow WOW Thank you! We can't wait to put out the preview build (soon!), keep an eye on this thread!

Sign me up for the preview build. Stuff like this is my kinda thing. Keep those gifs coming too.

Will do! Thanks so much!  Smiley

Wow awesome art :O

Thanks! We worked with a really phenomenal team of artists to get everything looking perfect.

Wow, that's a pretty amazing looking world.

Thanks so much! We hope you get lost in it.

love this project! been following it on tumblr. will now be following it here too Wink Beer!

Thanks for your interest and support!

Wow, neat! Makes me think of early ps1 games. Xenogears comes to mind. So the gist of the game is picking up trash? Are there stories behind each dirty rag? Or is the fun in exploring the city?

"makes me think of early ps1 games" is the highest praise I can ever hope to recieve for a project I am a part of! And yes, the game is all about exploring the world through garbage - every item, both on the ground and in shops and stalls, has a little snippet of flavor text that might reveal more about the world!

Dig the style, the low resolution rendering in particular, although the noisy patters (forgot what the phenomenon is actually called, sorry) from sub-pixel details bugs me a bit. Are you planning to resolve that somehow?
Also I'm not too sold on the character being a flat sprite. I like the look of the skull a lot more which I assume is a mesh.

Will follow with interest! Smiley

The game looks a tad crisper when it isn't reduced to gifs on the internet Smiley As for the sprite/mesh decision, the skull is the only character with a 3D model... this is meant to show it's "alien"/otherworldly nature in a really immediate and hopefully visually appealing way!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 04:53:00 AM »

This looks so wonderfully weird. It reminds me a bit of that experimental first-person adventure game from the 90s whose name I can never remember.
Bradford Horton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

We're on the front page of Kill Screen Daily! I can't express how excited I am to get such wonderful coverage for a game before we even release!

Since it is Screenshot Saturday, here are some more gifs showing off a bunch of trash!

Now also seems like a good time to repost the credits of the game!

Bradford Horton, writing and game production

James Shasha, writing, game design, and art direction

Campbell Fletcher, 3D art

Tristen Wade, 3D art

Jam Stangel, 2D character art

Xiomara Isaac, 2D character art

George Sutherland Howard, 2D art help

Matt Briganti, music

Jack Yeates, sound design

Thanks so much to our whole team and Sundae Month for helping make this game come true! Thanks also to Michelle Ehrhardt for her fantastic writeup! <3 <3 <3
pixelballoon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »

Oh wow. There's something about the art style in this that's incredibly appealing.

Looking forward to giving it a go - have you got a planned release date?

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »

This looks great, it combines 2D and 3D better than most examples I've seen.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »

track, nice style!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »

I don't have too much to add. It looks nice/really neat and I wish to follow progress. That's all.

charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »

I love the style, but I think it may look better with unfiltered textures.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic