Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:43:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThat was a bad idea
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: That was a bad idea  (Read 11915 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »

I have honestly found lots of parallels between fighting games and rts where at higher levels you have to rely on consistent input, tons of psychology and builds/combos

Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I've been saying - is probably the funnest and most popular RTS there actually is.

You might also look up Killer Queen, a new 10-player (5v5) arcade game I've ran across since my relocation to Portland. It's like a Joust x Mario Bros x MOBA, but MABA since it's not online, but a live, in-person cabinet game.

/most off-topic post ever

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2015, 04:40:28 AM »

I was thinking about a casual rts, but "tug of war" and moba are kinda that already.

This was a game I was working on. It's kind of playable, not sure if I'll finish it.

Edit: I'm actually interesting in hearing if anyone is interested in this.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:46:53 AM by pmprog » Logged
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »

Porting platformer games onto a touchphone. Where's the left/right and jump buttons? No problem, let's just add a picture of a controller.

Using click-to-move-to-location controls on a touchphone. Watch your units disappear under your finger!

When the most important part of the game is how well you control things, let's make it frustrating by giving people really bad controls.
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »

Gamepad controls are absolutely terrible on mobile. I think the control scheme is what prevents mobile from graduating from casual games (that and the fact that mobile players only play for a few minutes at a time.) I spent a lot of time making my mobile games gamepad supported, but it was a wasted effort. Not enough people use gamepads to make the time investment worth it. At least not for a mobile-only game. A cross platform game with gamepads factored in at the start might be easier.

Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2016, 10:28:06 AM »

I thought I was super smart when I came up with the idea of a platformer where you play a ball that never stops bouncing. I was thinking up all these level ideas and ways to make it fun for speedruns, all the while patting myself on the back for such a brilliant original idea. Turns out that idea is so old it's literally the first platformer to include sidescrolling movement. Since then I've learned to be cautious of any ideas I come up with.

Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2016, 09:34:12 PM »

I have honestly found lots of parallels between fighting games and rts where at higher levels you have to rely on consistent input, tons of psychology and builds/combos

Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I've been saying - is probably the funnest and most popular RTS there actually is.

You might also look up Killer Queen, a new 10-player (5v5) arcade game I've ran across since my relocation to Portland. It's like a Joust x Mario Bros x MOBA, but MABA since it's not online, but a live, in-person cabinet game.

/most off-topic post ever

Killer Queen looks really fun. Must be tricky to dev and playtest for it, since 5v5 is a lot of players. Especially without online play!

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2016, 10:12:43 PM »

What works with KQ is that the gameplay and it's mechanics are highly simple. If you can play Mario Bros., and you can play Joust, barrier to entry is gone. The real challenge is the amount of business and spacial awareness involved in the game. 1v1 (two queens) is basically *JUST* a game of Joust; but as more players enter the game, more of the gameplay mechanics become meaningful *and* become things that each player needs to keep an eye on.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2016, 12:29:59 AM »

I've had the worst idea hands down: Dwarf Fortress on mobile phones.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »

I've had the worst idea hands down: Dwarf Fortress on mobile phones.
You'll have to paywall the framerate below longer than 1 fps spf (second per frame) to beat Dungeon Keeper mobile.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:49:29 PM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Dinghai
Level 0

Have you seen it?

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »

Well, we could get a game solely built around seeing how many credit card numbers you can enter.  Noir

I like games.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2016, 04:22:17 AM »

How about a Steam Greenlight simulator about getting your game on Steam? Who thinks that would pass the Steam Greenlight voting?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »

already done

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic