Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:35:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThat was a bad idea
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: That was a bad idea  (Read 11944 times)
JWK5
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »

Well smash bros does it
In Smash Bros. it happens by sharing stock (A+B to hijack one of a teammate's reserve lives). It can still be abused in the same manner but I think the more intimate nature of the teams generally keeps it from being a common occurrence. The other thing is that even if you bottom out your teammates lives you can't take the one they currently have so they could still potentially win the game by soldiering on with their current life.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

Yes but smash bros is not primarily a team based game.

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »

All of the following were what I thought to be good additions to a melee fighting (Nidhogg/Smash) game. They all sucked.

• Shooting, with guns
  • Throwing the sword as fast as a bullet
  • Slow motion for throwing a sword
  • Slow motion for killing a player
  • Slow motion for being near another player
  • Slow motion for two people hitting each other at the same time
  • Slow motion in general
  • Sword attacks using a physical sword
  • Directional only blocking
  • Jumping goes in whichever direction the left stick is aiming
  • Ceiling jumping?
  • How about sticking to a ceiling?
  • Why not just, like, stopping when you hit a ceiling.

Some of these sounded great on paper. Some of them probably COULD be great in practice. For the game though, they all sucked. Multiple playtesters hated every single one of these, were confused by them, felt uncomfortable by them, or just generally abused them into oblivion (ie Mach 10 swords) It's interesting to look back through everything to see just how close I came to making that game terrible.

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »

I had this terrible idea to make a mobile shooter using multi-touch. The first touch positioned the player, the second, where the player shot. If you lifted the first finger, the player teleported to the second location and the next touch was where you shot.

All fine until you actually play it.

Can't see anything through your hands. Ugh. This is why testing on devices early is important.

Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 12:40:03 AM »

Any game that Allows the player to create their own stages, but does not have very good quality control.

(Presently a huge gripe of mine with Super Mario Maker...)

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 04:19:36 AM »

I think with Super Mario Maker people have to play it before anyone knows if it is any good. Although Nintendo doesn't have a dislike button, you can skip levels, and I bet their algorithm takes that into account. At least, it better...  Concerned

There are a few levels where they force you through tiny tunnels. Not sure how long those levels are, but I bet they probably take several minutes to navigate and if especially devious, put some incredibly difficult thing at the end so you die and have to do all over again. They're easy to recognize, and I always skip them. Mario Maker immediately replaces the level.

I think the biggest issue with Mario Maker is that there is no overarching goal. Nothing to strive for. If you could organize levels into a set and play those, that at least would give you some kind of narrative. All I do is play my kids' levels which is worth the purchase, I guess.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 04:47:50 AM »

you know what a really bad idea is? spending so much time on your cool editing tools that you forget to actually make your core mechanics good, aka little big planet. mario maker is (probably, haven't played it) much better because standard mario gameplay has already been refined over decades and there isn't much you can do wrong.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:17 AM »

I frequently see people contemplate making games where the killer is a bad guy, and you're supposed to experience the badness of it, then as a result you enter a cycle of revenge and death becoming the killer. It's a run of the mill game where you play an antihero who tries to imitate a pattern he witnessed and forgets emotion, the message that it was a bad thing is lost as the player learns the cool thrill of becoming an antihero. These stupid games look hypocritical. Give up on this formula, it's broken.
Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

Instant death anything... Though that's personal preference.
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »

Oh, that reminds me. Indie-games love spikes. ENOUGH WITH THE SPIKES.

If "hey, we can make spikes kill the player" is seriously considered in your game design, you are a failure.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 01:43:35 AM »

Pft, you lazy kids these days.

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 03:14:51 AM »

you know what a really bad idea is? spending so much time on your cool editing tools that you forget to actually make your core mechanics good, aka little big planet. mario maker is (probably, haven't played it) much better because standard mario gameplay has already been refined over decades and there isn't much you can do wrong.

Have you seen the large amount of crap people have posted in Super Mario Maker, there's plenty that people can do wrong, refined mechanics I can agree with, but the lack of quality control is a major problem. I've played a stage that can only be beaten, in the event Bowser Randomly jumps, otherwise he will force off the edge into Magma. Worst stage I've played so far hands down.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 05:05:51 AM »

• Slow motion in general

You clearly haven't played Starwhal because it practically does all of these things and it's great fun

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 05:23:59 AM »

Oh, that reminds me. Indie-games love spikes. ENOUGH WITH THE SPIKES.

If "hey, we can make spikes kill the player" is seriously considered in your game design, you are a failure.

Barrels as level filler are still good, right?
I love me some barrels.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 05:31:22 AM »

Yep, just like crates in FPS games!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2015, 05:37:46 AM »

Have you seen the large amount of crap people have posted in Super Mario Maker, there's plenty that people can do wrong, refined mechanics I can agree with, but the lack of quality control is a major problem. I've played a stage that can only be beaten, in the event Bowser Randomly jumps, otherwise he will force off the edge into Magma. Worst stage I've played so far hands down.

i meant you can't do much wrong in terms of mechanics design.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

SO far even bad level have been insightful, especially when you see someone else playing, there is at least one good idea to extract and refine, and I find myself much more enjoying chaos (full of surprise) than orderly ordered level.

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »

• Slow motion in general

You clearly haven't played Starwhal because it practically does all of these things and it's great fun
Oh yeah they work great for Starwhal, but for my project none of them ended well. It either ended up as an interruption to gameplay, a feeling of shitty feedback, or it detracted from the intent of gameplay. But yeah, Starwhal is great!

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »

Moving away from Mario Maker here...

Heavy RPG Elements in a platformmer. The more restrictions of HP, & Attack the better in this case, so significantly lower level Cap in say Super Paper Mario would've been a better idea, makes it too easy to just grind your way past any issue, which is something I feel should not be possible in any game of the platformming genre.

Also, not having a level system in an RPG like what was done in Paper Mario Sticker Star, makes any battle outside of a forced boss fight redundant giving players no incentive to fight the regular beasties at all.

Honestly though, I felt both Super Paper Mario, & Sticker Star were great games, that I at least found enjoyable for what they were, but they were not without fault.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

iunno, castlevania SOTN is pretty great.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic