Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 10:54:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallIn Another Brothel
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: In Another Brothel  (Read 14625 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »

The game is so pointless. What does stacking boxes have to do with whores?

It was novel when it first appeared, but come on, now its just stupid and boring.

Come on, there has to be more interesting applications to simulating physics than STACKING BOXES!
Comments like that drive me NUTS.

What are you supposed to say? SORRY!? The physics problems are probably because physics are HARD TO PROGRAM, and "pointless"? Give me a break. Every game you make will be better than the next. This is the first time Hideous and Sereneworx have teamed up, and I don't think Hideous has made that many games.

Take everything with a grain of salt, people.

I think the game was a great effort, and if you don't be an asshole, you can enjoy the challenge of it. While the physics are annoying at times, you can always restart, and it's definitely better than I could program it.

The music and atmosphere are awesome, and I don't think it's one of the better games I've seen yet that's made with Construct. I think it was pretty ambitious to be developed in such a short time Smiley and you guys did a good job.

A great stepping stone, anyways. It always feels good to finish something.

Just ignore the complainers, and pay attention to the pleasant critics. THE REST OF YOU CAN SHUT UP, the game is free for cripes sake Lips Sealed

[/rant]

Peace out. :D
Zaphos
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:47 PM »

Right, I actually _thought_ about placing a crate limit at first, but I really wanted to leave it up to the player - If he think it's fun to spam through, then he should be allowed to do so.
One alternative would be a 'par for course' number of boxes on or after each level, so the player has something to shoot for.  That could motivate puzzle play for the interested player right away, but be non-intrusive enough that they could ignore it if they wanted to.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 01:13:30 AM »

Great seeing this released!  I'd like to play it through all at once, so I've downloaded now but it'll have to wait until Wednesday; I'll post some feedback then.

Again, it looks great guys!  Kiss
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 01:21:09 AM »

What are you supposed to say? SORRY!? The physics problems are probably because physics are HARD TO PROGRAM, and "pointless"? Give me a break.

I think part of the problem with that is people are now so used to games using things like the box2D and APE engines that they expect physics of this kind to be more responsive/accurate. It DID get frustrating when you got stuck because the block you were on was at slightly too steep an angle and you had to restart, but like I said, I still enjoyed it. People are always more critical in blog comments it seems, and often without any actual constructive parts to their comments. Props to hideous for reacting so patiently.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 03:08:11 AM »

they needs to keep in mind that is an entry to a contest too, a noir themed contest, and imo the game nails the point pretty good.
we need to do a noir contest too D:

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ChevyRay
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:50 AM »

Props to hideous for reacting so patiently.
Haha true. I can't even take it and I didn't even make the game Shocked
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 03:27:28 AM »

Props to hideous for reacting so patiently.
Haha true. I can't even take it and I didn't even make the game Shocked
Yeah, I don't usually read the comments on the IndieGames Blog (or TIGS frontpage, for that matter), but man, what vitrol!  Shocked
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 03:51:15 AM »

What are you supposed to say? SORRY!? The physics problems are probably because physics are HARD TO PROGRAM, and "pointless"? Give me a break.

I think part of the problem with that is people are now so used to games using things like the box2D and APE engines that they expect physics of this kind to be more responsive/accurate. It DID get frustrating when you got stuck because the block you were on was at slightly too steep an angle and you had to restart, but like I said, I still enjoyed it. People are always more critical in blog comments it seems, and often without any actual constructive parts to their comments. Props to hideous for reacting so patiently.

But, uh. This is Box2D.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:41 AM »

Oh .... well how come it's so finicky about landing on slanted surfaces. Is box2D controlling your character movement as well? If so what is the character's particle type, a rectangle particle that you replaced the draw functionality and stopped rotating? I thought that the boxes were using some engine like box2d (and they react great) but i assumed the character was separate and just using information from the box2d engine.
mirosurabu
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:46 AM »

Have you tried mixing platform behavior with physics behavior for protagonist? Not everyone likes intertia.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 05:21:26 AM »

Had I done that, he would have gone through the boxes and stuff and things wouldn't have worked as expected.

And yeah, Box2D is controlling the character, and I turned off his rotations and stuff. Really, I was using Construct, so I don't know what half of what you said meant - but the character is essentially a box that i'm drawing a sprite on top of.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 05:34:09 AM »

So how are you deciding whether or not he is allowed to jump? Checking his speed or whether there is ground/boxes beneath either of his feet? That was the main issue for me, and it worked most of the time, just occasionally got a bit stuck.

I guess i'm getting a little off topic here though.  Coffee
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 06:32:46 AM »

I have a tiny little sprite that covers most of the bottom of the collision box - if that is colliding with something I decide is ground, you can jump and walk.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 06:39:07 AM »

gotcha. i guess if it's slightly smaller than the collision box then you can collide with a steep edge, so not move, but also not register to be walkable/jumpable. Still, it's not game breaking thanks to the rest button Smiley
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »

featured on Bytejacker.
http://www.bytejacker.com/episodes/026

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »

Holy fucking shit, my months-long dream has finally come true  Kiss

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »

They didn't mention, you, though.  Sad

mirosurabu
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »

He's way too hideous to mention him.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »

But, uh, yes they did. I'm Andreas Jörgensen.

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »

Oh...  Corny Laugh

I know I knew Sereneworx's name... Sean something, right?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic