Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:10:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrashomancer - An online COOP trashy monsters roguelike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Trashomancer - An online COOP trashy monsters roguelike  (Read 15201 times)
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »

All the entities look either too cute or too dumb, and that's a good thing :p

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »

All the entities look either too cute or too dumb, and that's a good thing :p

Thanks man! that's the whole point  Smiley.

Update 9

Masochist tomato/apple guy likes sparky stuff:

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »

Update 10

We finally put two of the basic normal in game weapons, we don't want to have many of these, most weapons will be weirder. Also now we have breakable boxes and a hit system, as well as aoe damage! Check it out!

Next on the list are some particle effects that are on the way as well as start making enemies and adding some more animations to the characters that will most likely be needed. With the current character system we'd better do every animation we will need now because creating new characters is really easy, but adding new animations when there are a lot of characters already created is a pain.

What do you think about the new colours for the bullets? I think they are way more readable now. The gun looks kinda lame, but it is the starter weapon for the marksman class so it is supposed to be quite lame-y.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »

Update 11

Daywork is taking a lot of time from trashomancer development lately but, here are the news  Smiley

This past week we added on hit particles to mostly anything that currently impacts right now:

And we finally allowed the test enemy to actually die, even though he still doesn't move quite as we liked:

We are still testing diferent timings for the purple flames and particle speeds, but we think we are getting closer to the generic death look we want. Purpley flames looks cooler than generic smoke screens (for my taste at least) but maybe we still need some explosions in the similar vein just when the enemy dies, What do you think?

Finally, we think the environments still look kind of plain. This particular environment, the cavern, is probably the most dull visually as caverns tend to be but we still want to add a bit more life to the scene and a bit more of destructible life so we started working on a system that will allow us to add scenery elements using tiled. More news on that soon I hope  Grin, but here's a screen anyway:

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »

Update 12

Opinions on UIs needed!

Obviously red stuff is the hp you currently have, black stuff are empty containers and the blue stuff are shields. In the second model the shields look a bit less intuitive but it would cap your max shield to your max hp which is nice. What do you think? squares or circles? shield as extra hp or as a mark over it?

Also we thought that adding an extra bar for ammo was a bit too much for a 2hp UI so numbers seem to look nicer.

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

I would actually prefer something like a circular rectangle that is one piece, rather than a bunch of separated blocks or circles.

None of the less, everything looks great!  Keep up the great work!
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2015, 07:45:23 AM »

I would actually prefer something like a circular rectangle that is one piece, rather than a bunch of separated blocks or circles.

None of the less, everything looks great!  Keep up the great work!

We also considered this:

But is slightly less clear if you consider we wanted the player's Hp to be very deterministic. We want for the player to really know exactly when he's a hit or two from death so the way we are designing items and classes are meant for the player not have more than 8 hit points at a time per object considering you have a pretty tanky build. That's why we thought that typical "energy bars" would not be the best choice unless you put numers on top of it which we tried to avoid, and of course zelda-like hearts are a bit overused XD (although they function pretty well).

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »

Update 13

Made some progress on weapons (still mocks):

Also we got some rotating platforms working, they will have a couple of rotation patterns :D, these will be in game soon:

We are still a bit slow due to work but we'll have cool stuff to show soon, stay tuned!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »

Looks neat! And that banana is totally my avatar, oh lord.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »

Looks neat! And that banana is totally my avatar, oh lord.

XD, I think we might end up with more than one playable avatar unintentionally.

Update 14

We had some pc-related troubles lately that screwed up a lot of progress made on weapon, which is not something you want to happen specially when you have a little time to work on a project  Cry.

Fortunately we were able to recover a lot of stuff and the rest has already been remade, here are some of the melee weapon concepts for you to taste!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »

Update 15

Have you been playing Guilty Gear lately? I have!

Right now we've got 32 ranged weapon designs and 20 melee weapon designs. They are not yet in game and each projectile is yet to be made.
Since programing work is advancing a bit slow due to christmas extra work we decided that we are going to start designing a new environment this week since it is more art-related. Stay tuned!

Also this was posted a while back in twitter but... skullsception!

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »

I came because of the title and stayed for the sweet, sweet GIFs. Especially those sword moves. Subscribed!

castled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »

So many great animations and weapons, I love your pixel art here! Looking forward to seeing more!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Update 16

We are already working on the next environment, a High-tech botanic garden kind of forest-ish thing!

Right now we got a nice solid platform tileset and I'm working on general parallax. I also want to have piece of trunks with metal robotic parts sticking out in a megaman-esque way. I'm having plenty of troubles making leafs for the trees in the back in a way that doesn't seem to be tiled, but I'm getting there using an object system instead of a tiled system.

The tiles were a bit tricky since I planned to have also multiple ramps for the ceiling as I had in the cavern but it didn't work out well with the wall and ceiling aesthetic planned so I decided to use different curves for corners that makes the general structure for the platform different from the cavern and looks very good.

lobstersteve
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »

Nice choice of colors in new environment Smiley
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2015, 01:58:55 PM »

Nice choice of colors in new environment Smiley

Thanks!

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »

Those metal beams really fit in!  What type of enemies are you thinking about having to fit into this theme?

Looks great!
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »

Those metal beams really fit in!  What type of enemies are you thinking about having to fit into this theme?

Looks great!

For this environment we are adding mostly plants and insects (hopefully very mutant-looking) aside from the generic ones. We are still deciding if we'll add water to this environment or not, because the cavern environment will have entirely flooded rooms and there are specific underwater enemies but we'll probably consider them as generic enemies to be able to add at least small pools to this environment.

Also most of the enemies here will be able to poison you. Since instead of an Hp bar you'll have several hit points (at most 5 hits and one of you parts comes off) poison will make you loose an extra Hp point if you are damaged by anything.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »

This concept is brilliant - this looks really fun! It keeps looking better and better Smiley

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:03:48 PM by Pixel Noise » Logged

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 12:58:49 AM »

Sweet new environment and weapon designs! Super curious about that question-block cannon :O

CHEEEEESE AXE!  Corny Laugh

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic