Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:06:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrashomancer - An online COOP trashy monsters roguelike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Trashomancer - An online COOP trashy monsters roguelike  (Read 15195 times)
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2015, 07:55:44 AM »

@Pixel Noise Thanks!

@flipswitchx The misterious question-block cannon will have an arrangement of random bizarre projectiles for the joy of the player and those soon to be dead enemies, but you will have to wait a bit more to see them XD.

update 17

Some forum reader asked me in a pm to post some of the art process of trashomancer, so here is what I'm working on now!

Thats actually 1 tile for leaf backgrounds. First I pick a pallete to work from, if its a background and it is a non glossy object I try to use 3 colours but I pick a fourth too just in case. Then I always tend to start from the darkest one and work through the pallete layer by layer adding volume. In the 4th step I decided to add more irregularities.

After I finished at least one tile of that particular background element and material I contrast it with a mock up of what's currently done to see if it fits where I want it to fit:

The original pallete popped out too much, even though I dulled the colours from the original leafs material in the platform tiles so I dull them more to make the object move further to the background. This way I can use trees and leafs in the same parallax layer or I can use leafs for a non parallax background and everything fits and blends nicely. The idea is making everything not background related pop out much more.

Now the rest of the tiles are left (about 13 or so), and the most difficult part at least for me is the one I do last which is checking out the tiles join together nicely. For this particular background tiles I try to make sure you can rotate or flip them as much as you want and they still match, this way you can create a lot of irregular patterns with just one element (check out old cavern environment backgrounds for that).

If anyone is making big complex tilesets like this I recommend also using just 1 colour at first for every tile and check out if they give the impression you want, if it doesn't probably you will have to change the size. With smaller tiles (such as the one in the cavern) you can make more complex form easyly and with larger tiles (like this one you can give a good impression of volume easier. If I can't make the forms I want with this tile set I'll definitively change the size.

Also as a bonus, a weapon I did a while back and didn't post :D

Merry christmas!

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
jovanmilic97
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2016, 03:50:14 AM »

This looks so fun and great art! Will you launch on Steam Greenlight soon, you will be greenlit tho without any problems?
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:50 AM »

This looks so fun and great art! Will you launch on Steam Greenlight soon, you will be greenlit tho without any problems?

We want to wait a bit for Steam Greenlight. We want to show more enemies and weapons and working multiplayer. Right now multiplayer works good but we are having a bit of lag troubles coordinating enemies, even though it works really good with 3 to 4 characters using machineguns, after adding a few enemies we've encountered some problems on the clients (not on the server) so we are right now trying to fix that. When that's done we'll work towards having some more weapons the UI working to make the first pre alpha trailer and we'll start thinking about greenlight.

Update 18

If you want to check out how trashomancer moves now in multi-player check this twitter post (server side): https://twitter.com/FatPixelGames/status/688402442438979584

Also we added some new trash items, here are some of them mocked up:

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »

Update 19

Hello guys! We've been working slow but steady lately, and we need some opinions on latest stuff.

First we've got new platforms for the Garden environment (and others that are not shown here)! together with some nasty spikes for you to die!

The sausage mushroom makes you auto-jump

Then we've got some new enemies! along with others for the cavern that we still cannot show since they are not ready. Animating these is what is coming next.

And finally we've got this:

This environment main hazard is poison, so we are trying to decided on a cool looking poison particle effect. The ones we like are number 4 and 8 but the only way we can think of doing this consist on a costly shader using 2 full screen buffers and a generated screen size texture with the dark green parts. What do you guys think about the effects? Does anyone have a better solution for numbers 4/8?

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »

Update 20

Enemies moving!

guess what happens to the yellow fruit like dude after that  Crazy

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

As a side note: is the development progress really at 0% (as seen next to the title under Devlogs)?

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »

Is not at 0%, but it isn't at 10% either.

Right now we have most of the obstacles and decoration of the cavern environment done. The character randomization works (without skills yet), and we have some enemies but only one of them implemented and working on line. Everything we have from the second environment is assets and art only yet. We also standart ranged weapons and standart melee weapons working. The main UI is also to be implemented.

Currently I'm working on enemy assets and I'll begin with new weapon projectiles soon while the programmer is working on a system to add dynamic objects in any layer of the map using Tiled (destructible objects, animated platforms...).

When the object loading system is done and working on line we'll have reach about 10% of the game :D, but considering this kind of game has to have unlockables, achievements and such I believe there's still plenty to be done.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

Ughhh so good. Loving these new animations.
The wasp and the plant are great as is vibe you've got going on.

These weapons are lovely.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

Is not at 0%, but it isn't at 10% either.

Right now we have most of the obstacles and decoration of the cavern environment done. The character randomization works (without skills yet), and we have some enemies but only one of them implemented and working on line. Everything we have from the second environment is assets and art only yet. We also standart ranged weapons and standart melee weapons working. The main UI is also to be implemented.

Currently I'm working on enemy assets and I'll begin with new weapon projectiles soon while the programmer is working on a system to add dynamic objects in any layer of the map using Tiled (destructible objects, animated platforms...).

When the object loading system is done and working on line we'll have reach about 10% of the game :D, but considering this kind of game has to have unlockables, achievements and such I believe there's still plenty to be done.
Thanks for the explanation.  Smiley

I know progress can be measured in many different ways but to me 0% means the game is mostly at the conceptual or very early stage.  10% would be when the game is still early in development but some work has already been done. Since, you've already created many assets, that's why 0% seems low.  But that's just me.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:11 PM »

@Bones - Thanks! Weapon projectiles are coming next so hopefully you will be able to see some of those ingame soon  Smiley

@io3 creations - Yup, we'd rather think in terms of the whole project and the time we could consume developing it. The concept of trashomancer was really laid out very quickly that's why we did not count that as a heavy percentage of the game dev process.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »

Update 21

Working on weapon projectiles and explosions. Right now this is what we have (that's flashy enough to show), I smell recolours and slight modifications of that smokey explosions in the near future :D

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »

Hey guys - looking great. Love all the new art and assets, weapons, etc. Keep it up! Smiley

Edit: You've gotta show that creepy chameleon-armed tomato guy you posted on Twitter. That thing was wild.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:44:56 PM by Pixel Noise » Logged

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »

Update 22

Finally the dynamic background items loader is up and running. Now we can add stuff like this directly on tiled map editor:

fancy breakables!

fancy breakables behind the floor too!

fancy unbreakables!

Also we fixed a bug that affected breakables affected by physics that made them almost imposible to stay on a pixel perfect position (still visible on the gifs), so now they look much better!

Finally here's something I didn't want to show, but I couldn't resist...

Which will be the final weapon design out of those 4 is still undecided

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2016, 05:34:43 AM »

the box one seems to be a good reference to Schrödinger
BeTeslohan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »

C: great concept, looking forward to more progress. I find the style particularly charming. <3

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2016, 07:57:16 PM »

This game looks absolutely stellar. 

Very impressed with the work from your two man team.

However, I have to say that cat you just posted doesn't look nearly as good as the rest of your art.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2016, 04:41:33 AM »

Looks really good.

From the first look it reminded me very much of "Trash TV", do you know this game?

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23146.0
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2016, 06:11:54 AM »

Lookin good  Gentleman

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 05:15:04 AM »

@b∀kkusa Thanks! glad to see you've got the point  Smiley

@BeTeslohan Thanks a lot!

@FauxOperative Do you mean the actual cat or the catgun? The cats are more plain mostly because they are projectiles and I thought they would be easier to read, but they are subject to possible change once the weapon has been implemented. Also it's easier to make more different cats this way. If you can elaborate on your opinion it would be greatly appreciated :D.

@Chromanoid Wow! I didn't know of thrash TV but it certainly looks like our concept but made by michael bay XD. I'll definitively check that out. Even the logos look close  Waaagh!. Maybe we could get a cameo!

@hyperduck yet again, thanks!

I hope I can update tomorrow with the first tune from the OST of trashomancer you will hear, stay tuned!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2016, 01:59:50 AM »

Update 23

Finally we've got a song from the OST ready to listen to! Note that it doesn't mean to be the final version of this tune but we wanted to have something good enough to work as a preview. This tune will give the feel to the garden environment.

Click to listen

And last but least, some eyecandy of what has been done lately:

Yes, weapons that shot skulls. These are chargeable to modify the shot in certain ways.

Generic enemy spawn effect and death explosions to spice up death animations. Everything explodes in Trashomancer!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic