Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:32:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionHeldensagen vom Kosmosschlachten / Legend of Galactic Battles [Techdemo 5.April]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Heldensagen vom Kosmosschlachten / Legend of Galactic Battles [Techdemo 5.April]  (Read 10988 times)
saltopus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:24:57 AM »

After watching the anime series Legend of Galactic Heroes I wanted a game with the feeling of the battles shown. Since the official game is doesn't do this job, I had to do it my self.
The last weekend went by and this appeared on my Hard disk.:

You are the supreme commander of an inter galactic fleet. Positioned in your mothership you command the sub fleets and watch the engaging battles. Everything is controlled from ego perspective while you can move freely through your command room. Looking through the windows gives view on the carnage and allows to get information and order fleets around. The latter can also be done at the simulator where the battle is shown in an abstract view of pyramids.

Done:
Engine - allows ~2000+ ships at once and stays playable
Ship battle system

ToDo (in planned order):
the "game" - nothing to do yet
Simulator
AI - maybe AS (artificial stupidity)
Command room
Maybe sub commanders
maybe better models
Maybe sound (sure, sound in space ....)

[5. April 2009]
I couldn't finish it before the deadline. But it is somewhat playable.
So here is a preview of the first level:
http://sharebee.com/ad63f7d1

I hope to put up a bigger version tonight. And some more version till the end of the week.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:06:29 AM by saltopus » Logged
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:05 AM »

Looks good! Wonder how it will play out.

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »

Oooh, very nice!!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »

Those screenshots are crazy. 2000+ ships? Sounds great!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »

Huge creds for a great idea that I too have thought about! If you want coding help I'll gladly team up with you on this one since this is exactly the kind of game I love and would make myself!

<semi-OT>You've made me want to see the series too, is it worth grabbing?</>

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »

Sounds way awesome and looks very good so far!

Shouldn't it be "Heldensagen von Kosmosschlachten" though!?  Tongue
saltopus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:27:44 AM »

First preview of the simulator. Fleets are selectable and move orders can be given.
Also included deflector shields for the ships so there is more eyecandy during battles.

Framerates are currently around 15-20 FPS with 1200 vs 1200 ships. The main leak is the target selection which needs a lot of tuning.

@Mikademus: The series is definatly worth it. It is one of the very best series I watched. The only drawback it has are 110 episodes. A lot time to spend....

@battlerager: I'm German, so yes it is wrong. But the opening title of Legend of Galactic Heroes said Herdensagen vom Kosmosinsel, changed later to Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel. Quite nonsense. I want to keep the strangeness of that. And I like the ambiguity of Kosmosschlachten (Cosmos battles or Slaughtering the cosmos) the latter is even gramatically correct Wink
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:34:17 AM »

@battlerager: I'm German, so yes it is wrong. But the opening title of Legend of Galactic Heroes said Herdensagen vom Kosmosinsel, changed later to Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel. Quite nonsense. I want to keep the strangeness of that. And I like the ambiguity of Kosmosschlachten (Cosmos battles or Slaughtering the cosmos) the latter is even gramatically correct Wink

Ah I see. Should have guessed that.  Smiley

I also wondered what exactly you meant by "Kosmosschlachten". Nice to see that it's ambiguous on purpose.  Gentleman
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »

oh this looks nice.,  Smiley fits very well with the theam here too.  radar will be my next addition too,. although my battles are a tad less vast.   Shocked

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:04:16 AM »

That's looking very good. I'm actually disappointed that in most big commercial strategy games you aren't given a first-person perspective, even though the graphics are definitely good enough for that by now. Most probably don't see a use in this, but I think it just creates a totally different, great atmosphere. Walking around in your self-made dungeons in Dungeon Keeper 2 from a first-person perspective? Very cool! Wandering around your spaceship in Noctis IV, fiddling around with some controls, while it is flying towards a planet? Tears of Joy

Anyway, it looks like you're really going for that, so I'm quite excited for it Grin
Gutes Gelingen! Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:47:08 AM »

first-person perspective in an RTS

TA Spring gives you this ability. Check it out.

Das Spiel scheint mir interessant, hoffentlich wirst du's schaffen. Viel Glück!

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:00:49 AM »

Wow, I love Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Watched all 110 episodes + 30 of the other episodes and three of the four movies. Good times.

The game looks like it will be quite sweet so far. I think it would feel quite awesome if you manage to get the sense of large scale battle down right.

As for the graphics I have a few things that bother me slightly. The fire from the ships' tails annoy me a bit. Maybe that could be toned down a bit, I don't remember the ships actually using their main engines unless they were trying to retreat or whatever.

Also, the trails from the gunfire could look more interesting. The transparent green and purple lines look a bit dull, and the colors aren't very striking. I'd suggest you use nontransparent whites with a hint of yellow or red depending on which side is firing maybe, and also thin the lines a bit perhaps.

Anyway, graphics aren't that important, and I'm really looking forward to trying this out. I am excited about seeing how you will do the gameplay Smiley

Definitely worth it! Give it at least five or ten episodes to build up, though. The first two episodes feel a bit bland because they throw you straight into things that don't feel very important because you haven't gotten to know the characters involved.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:16 AM »

<very-much-OT>

Definitely worth it! Give it at least five or ten episodes to build up, though. The first two episodes feel a bit bland because they throw you straight into things that don't feel very important because you haven't gotten to know the characters involved.

And here I had promised myself never to get involved with a 100+ eps series again and you gang up on me like this Sad Now I have no choice, I have to watch the series!

</very-much-OT>

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 04:34:58 AM »

Just for reference, what sorta rig you running this on?  Im sure the specs would go much appreciated by people wanting to play it.
saltopus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:24:11 AM »

Just for reference, what sorta rig you running this on?
I have a Athlon 3200+ with 1 Gig RAM. So it is not highest class, but not too bad.

The fire from the ships' tails annoy me a bit. Maybe that could be toned down a bit, I don't remember the ships actually using their main engines unless they were trying to retreat or whatever.
This is already gone in newer verions. It's main purpose was to make the ships visible on great distances.
The shots became smaller - the last shots had a wrong scaling factor apllied.

Currenty I'm working on the interface. Since I'm not very good at graphics this tends to take a while.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »

I was keeping my eye on this when it first showed up. Are you going to be able to complete it with the new deadline? I was looking forward to it!

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 03:24:50 PM »

I was keeping my eye on this when it first showed up. Are you going to be able to complete it with the new deadline? I was looking forward to it!

+2

saltopus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »

I planned to complete it till today night.

Unfortunately there came the deadline extension, so I didn't do anything yet this weekend  WTF

I'm writng a little bit of story and dialogs, then the levels need to be designed and put together.
If I get motivated now, maybe I can put a small demo online tonight.
saltopus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »

I won't get it finished till midnight  Cry
Too much work to be done last week, and the level design is a lot of work.
I give you a tech preview of the first level, not yet finishable, but playable. Later tomorrow I hope to put up a demo of the first 2 levels.

Download it here:
http://sharebee.com/ad63f7d1

Forgot to create a readme...
Just unpack, and start options.exe.
Then start Heldensagen.exe
Controls are:
Left mouse button - Select, next text
right mouse button - release mouse pointer
wasd/cursor - move
shift - run
use mouse to look around
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:45:13 PM by saltopus » Logged
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 06:49:24 PM »

Hells yeah, taking a look. Hope you decide to finish the game anyways.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic