Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:59:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEarth Jets V2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Earth Jets V2  (Read 3680 times)
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:35:41 PM »

Earth Jets

Earth jets started out as a 2 player multiplayer game in which you grab a friend, choose on of the many ships, then battle it out.
However 2 player games are never that popular among people, therefore it is also a single player game. The single player game is said to be very difficult, and there are a lot of mixed feelings about this game. Some love it and catch on quickly, some hate it and get frustrated. I would like to see what the great Tigsource public thinks, as you guys are quite accepting.

Fake Ad:

Screeny:

Download EARTH JETS V2

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 03:41:07 AM »

This seemed like a fun game but I couldn't really play it.

The first craft I selected, the thing spawned outside the tutorial area so I couldn't continue.

The next time, the game worked ok. I didn't like the "lock in this direction" function although it was better than just shooting in the facing direction. It didn't seem to always lock in the right direction, and I felt I was at a disadvantage because locking on to diagonals was hard, yet the enemies could shoot in any direction they liked. Then I got stuck in between two tiles and died. The crashing into the ricks kind of sucks if you're just walking. What this game really needs is some kind of twin-stick control, even if it's mouse + cursor keys.

It certainly seems like it is a fun game.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:25:50 AM »

There were a couple of things that made this game really hard for me to play.

It's pretty brutal to damage the player from just walking into a barrier. And I wasn't sure what I could walk into without getting hurt. I could just walk over top of trees and cities and then when I run into a rock I lose my life somehow.

It seemed to me that the player spawns in random locations for the single player levels. The first time I played I started somewhere where I couldn't get to the objective in the first level. Another time, I spawed inside one of the rocks and I couldn't move and died in a couple seconds. I also spawed right next to the objective once and just walked right into it and won. There needs to be a definite starting zone.

It is also strange that you can walk off the edge of the world into a black area that drains your life very quickly. It should be a solid wall or maybe pac-man it to the other side of the level or something.

The controls for the plane are not very easy. It seems to me that up should make the plane accelerate forward instead of making it go up on the screen. Left and Right keys should turn the plane and Down should make it slow down.

I couldn't get past the second tutorial level because I kept spawning in areas where I couldn't complete the level, so I gave up. It seems to be a pretty cool game so far, but there are just so many things that make it hard for the player to continue playing at the moment. Keep working at it! Grin

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 07:03:45 AM »

Yep! There definitely seems to be a bug in that the player in single-player just seems to spawn randomly across the map, even into objects that force it to explode. I like the style, and there's definitely a fun game in there, but at the moment it's sort of a little hard to get far enough to say anything else about it... heh. I'll be sure to play some more of it if I can though!

I also played a little bit of Peg Soldier, which my PC seems to not like much in that it plays in a tiny little screen in the middle of my screen, making it kind of hard to see anything, but that's more likely my own fault with this stupid Vista laptop and it's disdain for Game Maker games, so I'll give it a shot on another machine later. Reminded me of Assault a little bit, which was a great shareware game I played a while back. It's good though, and like I said, I'll try to get to play more of them both.
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 08:58:45 AM »

Oh wow. That single player random spawning must be a new error.

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »

If it helps at all, though it's unlikely the other two ran into this, I've been converted GM applications to run them on Vista, so there might be a few bugs that cropped up from that. That said if it keeps happening for them then it's probably not it (Though I'm sure that's why I'm having trouble with Peg Soldier. Vista is such a gorgeous pain)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:37:56 AM »

Hello there!
I just tried the game and my comments are basicaly what HandCraftedRadio said...

The first time I spawned in the tutorial I landed right next to opponents who were shooting me and I ran for cover, which happenned to be the city. The tutorial ended and I didn't learn anything except that I could move. When the second part loaded, I was imprisonned and couldn't do a thing except crash into walls...

Well, keep us noticed when you got a new version!
Guert

Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 12:58:45 PM »

The YoYo plugin didn't worked for me. The download of the game always give me an error. Are there any downloadable versions?
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 03:48:30 AM »

You probably didn't extract the game from the zip before running it. The download link at the bottom right of the yoyogames page works fine for me.

I played the game, aside from the obvious issues that others have pointed out, there are a few points that I'd like to bring up:

1. Random uber-shots. I noticed that the mechs occasionally fired spreads of bullets that were nastier than the normal shot. While Team Fortress 2 is doing that now, I'm wary about this sort of thing. Far better to have it as a sort of charge shot?

2. Fixed aim point. The aim point locking works, it's not fantastic, but it works. However, its very hard to tell where your gun is pointed. You could use a GUI element to bring it out or, if you want to go with no GUI at all you'd have to make the facing of the player's object a lot more apparent.

3. Mechs losing life on collision. This really does seem a little too harsh. It's not so bad for the planes but the mechs? For that matter boosting into the turrets didn't seem to have an effect.

4. Player object size. They're tiny. I find that a good way to bring the character closer to his in-game avatar is to have them be larger on the screen. There are limits to this but having a larger unit means it can be more detailed and it's easier to tell where you are in the game (centre of the screen isn't good enough if its just a small speck). For split screen games a dynamically scrolling view like that of Star Control may be a workable way to do it.

5. Z effect. I liked the art style, it's pretty good and coherent. However some particle effects don't seem to be scaled. What I mean is that they utterly fail to give a fake 3d effect. There's a word for it but I can't recall. Basically, you should try to give your effects more apparent depth.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:54:47 AM by th15 » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic