Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:03:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpiritSphere [Release]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: SpiritSphere [Release]  (Read 17456 times)
shellbot
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »

Following because this looks cool as hell Beer!
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

Following because this looks cool as hell Beer!
Awesome, thanks!

Somehow every sword I draw ends up looking like the master sword. Damn  brains.  Droop

This was totally not what I was going for, but I kind of like the right one. It's out of style with the rest of the game though Sad

I might try something more abstract and otherwise I'll pick one of these for now.

So I made another one. This one is probably more suitable as a logo. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Right one is a bit more extreme on the lighting

Oh, and does a better name than "Spirit Sphere" pop up in your mind? Because my mind is blank  Shrug
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:10:23 PM by Eendhoorn » Logged

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »

I finished up the art for the character select last night. It took way longer than I expected but I'm happy with it.

The background will be scrolling diagonally,  reminiscent of arcade game screens.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »

I couldn't figure out anything cool for the main menu so I just went with something simple. I want to change the scrolling background texture, but I'll put something cool in there once I have more in-game assets  Tongue

Unity sucks at downscaling text, but I didn't want to give you guys a big ass gif :p

After this I will implement the character select and game result screen. Then I should be done with all the boring UI stuff for a while.

KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »

Woah! This is awesome! Following Smiley

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »

Looks really good and playable so far. The spin sword animation looks cool and the slight screen bump when they hit is really nice.

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »

Looks really good and playable so far. The spin sword animation looks cool and the slight screen bump when they hit is really nice.
Thanks Ashton! The spin animation is actually completely recycled, I just grabbed a bunch of slash animation frames from each direction  Tongue

I haven't been able to work a whole lot on this. I have finished all the UI stuff, although I will probably rewrite the tech for the character select, as it became a horrible mess.

I wanted to get a build out so I can get some feedback on the core mechanics.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo24mvbym0dzu7r/SpiritSphere_Pre-Alpha.zip?dl=0

It's a super early build though, the gameplay has not been worked on after the first week of development.

The training room is the best place to get a feel for everything.
I'd like to know how everything feels; Are things to fast or too slow, does the dash work as you think it should?

You will need a controller to play though. I've also tested 2 player mode with controllers and that should be fine too.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:11 PM »

Thanks for the overwhelming response on that playable build everyone  Shrug

I've been super busy with my dayjob, but I took most of the day off today because it was driving me crazy.

I had already added the bushes some time ago, they can be hit once and dissapear for 30seconds after that, I think the game was a bit too hard with the wide goals.

I have also added some grass that slows the ball down a tiny bit, and it can be cut down and possible drop coins. So you get the choose if you want a bit more defense for your goal, or go for that phat loot.
I learned about lootables, it was fun learning those.
The coins can be used to purchase usable items at the shopkeeper at the side of the arena. In the case of the gif I bought a bow, which does not do much yet atm  Durr...?

The shopkeeper has a list of possible items he can sell, as you buy the cheaper items, more expensive powerful items will become available in turn.

I made no visual of which item get's bought on purpose, so if your opponent doesn't pay attention to the shop, he does not know which item you just bought and you can him surprise him.

I'm not sure if I want to have the shopkeeper there at all times, or if he comes and goes. What do you guys think?

lyphiix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 01:42:04 AM »

Wow! Loving the warlock character  Grin

Definitely following this - I love games that take classics and then give a twist.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:01:18 PM by lyphiix » Logged
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 08:56:20 PM »

I feel like my dayjob's project is coming to a close soon. After that I will focus 100% on my own company.

I dragged Spritsphere to a local gamedev event and I had great time. People had fun playing it and they had some great feedback. Met some guys from tigsource there as well!

Been fooling around with the second character for a bit;

He's a bit more agile than the girl; faster movement speed and you can hold the dash button to keep sliding. He can even move while he's attacking. He totally lacks in power and has a smaller hit radius though.
Not sure what kind of special to give him yet, I want to keep him low on power so it has to be something other than a strong hit.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »

Thinking of giving the warlock a ranged attack.

Nice vertical range, but little horizontal range as compensation.

It would become an amazing move to block shots on goal when turned sideways though.
Not quite sure if I want that though, since I'm still thinking about permanent strafing.

The warlock will also get a teleport instead of a roll to mix things up.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »

Nice progress I like how you're integrating familiar mechanics into a new game Kiss

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »

Nice progress I like how you're integrating familiar mechanics into a new game Kiss
Thanks  Coffee

Leftover animations always look cool when using palette swappping.

Looks to cool to leave out of game as a palette option, but only as 10 dollar DLC  Cheesy

Kitkat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 08:20:57 PM »

This looks really interesting and the sprites and characters are super cute!
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »

This looks really interesting and the sprites and characters are super cute!
Thanks! Your avatar is cute as hell.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »

Some progress on the warlock. Doesn't feel quite right yet, I have to play around with him for a bit.
Still clue for his special move yet (substitute for spin attack slot) , and the dog doesn't have one yet either, argh.

I also threw in a second ball, in the end I'm aiming to have 6 different balls, which tie into the story of the game.

Here's a better look of how the teleport operates.

When the warlock (and dog) are complete, I want to create an early version of the dungeon level, and another 6-faced level, for which I am not sure of the theme yet. Then I will create one single player level mockup-up so I can create the trailer and put it up on greenlight.
If my dayjob won't intrude too much I'm aiming to have this done in 30 days. Need to get this shit out in the open!

Oh, and I need to pick up a sound designer somewhere along the way too  Shrug

KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »

This game is looking really sweet Smiley When you say six faced level, do you mean its gonna be shaped like a hexagon instead of a rectangle?

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 12:52:16 PM »

This game is looking really sweet Smiley When you say six faced level, do you mean its gonna be shaped like a hexagon instead of a rectangle?
Yeah that's what I meant, I could not find the word haha.
I imagine it would be a great level for some higher level players, since you need to be able to anticipate the ball's trajectory when it bounces of an angled surface.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »

I let some people play the game at my local card game shop (I play magic the gathering there every friday  Durr...? ).
They all liked it, but the warlock was very hard to play. The teleport is just too easy to overshoot.

So I added a charge-up to the teleport. If you hold it for 0.5 second the teleport with spawn a short blocking hitbox in between your teleport origin and destination.
I will have to see in the playtest if it is of any real help.

Also played around with the warlock's special again.
As a compensation for his weak horizontal range he can summon 2 bats.
It looks pretty cool, but I don't think it works very well.
A lot of time the bats will bounce in unwanted directions.

I think I should just go for the easy approach and give a charged move with a lot of horizontal range (dependant on the amount you charged). I do want to make a puppet type character, so the bats might find their place in the game later on.

What do you guys think?

shellbot
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »

I kind of like the bats, but it's hard to say what would be better without seeing the other possible options.
One thing I can say is that the bats look a little lackluster ... like they don't do anything...

I dunno  Shrug
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic