Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:54:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionEliminH8 - The Tunnel (now with demo)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: EliminH8 - The Tunnel (now with demo)  (Read 9707 times)
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 09:26:35 AM »

Ok, here is the build:
EliminH8.zip

Control the ship with arrow keys and shoot with space. Escape pauses. If you destroy an entire group of enemies your cockpit flashes yellow and you either get better control or higher rate of fire. The ship is destroyed after 3 hits, and you have 3 lives. Avoid destruction.

I've noticed an occasional bug, sometimes the screen turns completely white (but the game continues running) - press escape to pause to fix it. I think I know why this happens, so I should be able to fix it.

Comments and critique is very much welcome.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »

Okay, may I suggest a targeting reticule, and also some better firing rate and control? Yeah, you did say that we would get these upped if we destroy a group of enemies, but so far it's been really hard to do that.
Günter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »

The upgrades could use a bit of tuning, but only a tiny bit. It was really easy to get upgrades to start with, but it jumps up in difficulty so much when the ships get stronger that it becomes incredibly difficult to get upgrades. I would suggest either making more of the upgrades count towards rate of fire and making them slightly more powerful, or making the upgrades for more difficult enemies more powerful.
As for the aiming reticule, I don't think you need one. What you should do is make the cockpit more prominent so you can use the vertice in the middle of the screen as your crosshairs in the heat of the moment. I managed to do it early on, but it tends to fade into the background with all you've got going on in the graphics.

Aside from those quibbles I'm really digging it so far. This is the only game (so far) that I've been interested in enough to download the demo.
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 10:01:28 AM »

Thanks a lot for your comments, I haven't had time to work on it since the release and won't for a couple of days but I appreciate your comments and I will keep them in mind when I get time to at least think about the game.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 04:28:04 AM »

This is pretty nice! I have a couple of suggestions, also;

Like Günter said, the power-ups don't add enough to your firepower, so eventually the enemies become too difficult to destroy entire groups of them. The difficulty of the enemies should only increase when your firepower increases, really, otherwise you'll get into a state where if the player messes up too many times, the enemies will become too strong for them to realistically destroy. This way the player is powering up in order to score more points, not because not doing so makes the enemies too difficult for them to beat. Some kind of display of the current fire rate and ship speed would be nice, too; perhaps a bar on either side of the cockpit showing the individual levels. It's good to let the player know how powerful they are.

Also, I found a few bugs; Z and X seem to speed up and slow down the craft, and generally make things unplayable. Are these debug keys? Also, taking focus away from the window breaks things quite badly, and the game stops responding.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »

I crash by left clicking every time.  Sad Interesting so far though. Surreal atmosphere with the blur...
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »

Cool  Cool

The only thing I would change is the controls, to me they are a bit too slow and floaty, I'd like more responsive, fast-moving controls, for a better hardcore feel.
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »

Unfortunately I have not been able to work on this very much, there are loads of things I would like to add but I probably won't have enough time. Here is the newest build anyway:
EliminH8.zip

I've added a boss (but only one, so it repeats...), tweaked the gameplay quite a lot and added some sort of levels (but only 3, so they repeat after that, and they are quite similar since I haven't had time to make new enemies). Still, it is a lot more fun (IMO) than before, so please give it a try and tell me what you think.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic