Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:25:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Is "MS Paint" a valid art style?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Is "MS Paint" a valid art style?  (Read 7338 times)
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:29 AM »

I can't stand that style at all, Im afraid. It just reminds me of cheap clipart that used to come free with PC magazines  Cry
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 10:32:36 AM »

I guess you could use it, though in most cases it'll look worse than if you'd put some effort into it.

It all depends on the direction though, some people could make visually pleasing images in mspaint in mere minutes, for instance dinorun is really nicely done.

This is 100% mspaint, and something like it could probably be used in a sidescrolling SHMUP with relative success.

I AM FREE!
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »

I don't see what makes MSPaint an art style at all.

That was my first thought, too, when I read the topic.

i think with MS Paint style nayon means "a thing that you COULD do with paint in a matter of minutes"

Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »

Is "sketching or doodling" a valid art style?

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Renton
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:45 PM »

Yes. Doesn't have to look good. You don't have to like it. Hell, you might even hate it (e.g you can see me rant about deviantart and therefore contradict this post); but if it gets the job done, it's valid.
Strictly my opinion, though.
medieval
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »

something that can be done in ms paint in a matter of minutes, in my opinion it's not defined enough to judge
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »

Yeah, I have seen some stuff made in MSPaint in a few minutes that is fantastic. The lack of contrast, anti-aliasing, and simple shapes is what the point of that post was though, Michael.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »

In one word, yes.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »

Personally I think that bad graphics can improve the overall experience.
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »

i think with MS Paint style nayon means "a thing that you COULD do with paint in a matter of minutes"

While it's not what I'd normally expect to see in a finished game, I think it's just fine for graphics during alpha, and perhaps early beta.

In addition, since this is the sort of graphics that's easier to create for the less artistically gifted, you could use this in some sort of closed early-beta specifically for artists so you can get them to go "This game needs some decent art.", hopefully ending up with the graphics replaced by such graphics.

But for one man productions, I will likely make concessions, because programmers aren't usually the best artists, and I can imagine that after having worked on the game for so long, they would want to get it out, without having to spend a few more weeks/months on creating graphics that still won't be very good.
Fuzz
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »

While it's not what I'd normally expect to see in a finished game, I think it's just fine for graphics during alpha, and perhaps early beta.

In addition, since this is the sort of graphics that's easier to create for the less artistically gifted, you could use this in some sort of closed early-beta specifically for artists so you can get them to go "This game needs some decent art.", hopefully ending up with the graphics replaced by such graphics.

But for one man productions, I will likely make concessions, because programmers aren't usually the best artists, and I can imagine that after having worked on the game for so long, they would want to get it out, without having to spend a few more weeks/months on creating graphics that still won't be very good.
It works for people like Jazzuo and Mr. Kubus, but that's because their games are already so insane the graphics compliment the insanity. It works for CoolMoose in an entirely different way; his graphics are nice looking and the style just makes them feel like they were made by a real person.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 11:49:37 PM »

I think the unantialiased (aliased) unshaded graphics with horrible colors look cool. Of course, awesome pixel art looks awesome, but sometimes "ms paint" graphics appeal to me more.

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »

MSPaint is a (shitty) program not a style. You can do MSPaint "style" in PS if you want to. *sigh*

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 05:16:55 AM »

MSPaint is a (shitty) program not a style. You can do MSPaint "style" in PS if you want to. *sigh*

No need for *sighs* here, ptoing, they already said that. Roll Eyes

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 06:15:57 AM »

I dunno, just annoys me when people do that. Zomg MSPAINT STYLE Durr...?

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:23 AM »

I must admit, MS paint has some handy little secrets like pixel resizing etc, but I could never learn to enjoy using it for anything other than copying and pasting.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »

Dude, we all know. Chill.

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 06:14:54 AM »

Ugh, looks like I have to expend a lot of effort (several keystrokes worth) to bestow upon you my faux outrage at MSPaint. I'm gay. I'm gay. I'm gay.
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »

Wait a sec, isn't the new Windows 7 MSPaint supposed to be something of a more advanced tool, with brush effects and anti-aliasing and whatnot? It'll be the end of an era. No more of the MSPaint "look".

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »

MSPaint is a program for drawing things really quick, I don't even know if it's supposed to look good. However people have been drawing quick pictures without putting too much effort into them, using this software. Those pictures have been recognized as "paint drawings" and their look has been named "paint style". The style is named after the software it was originally associated with. That doesn't mean it can't be made in another software.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic