Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:29:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionDamsel Game [CANCELLED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Damsel Game [CANCELLED]  (Read 6568 times)
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »

This game was cancelled because 3D math is tedious!

=============ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS=============

What does a cockpit do? Two things: it obscures your vision and it immerses you in the game. What can do both of these better than a cockpit? A blindfold!

In this game, you play a damsel or a dame or a princess or something. I'm not sure which yet. You can't see anything, but you're a human with five senses! In particular, you can hear things and feel things. Hearing is done with audio, of course. Feeling is done through window positioning. The window will shake and resize itself to give the impression of motion.

The basic story I have so far is that you (the damsel) are waking up or putting on your makeup or something. Suddenly, you get captured by a villain! He blindfolds you and carries you to his horse-drawn carriage and drives off. You can press some keys to struggle in his grasp, which shakes the window. If you struggle a lot, he hits you and tells you to stop, which shakes the window even more. If you struggle a lot a lot, you fall off the carriage, which shakes the window a fair amount. If you fall off the carriage just anywhere, you hit your head on the gravel. If you fall off the carriage near some water, you start rolling down the hill that separates the road and the water. When you're rolling, you need to press some keys to keep your head above the ground so that it doesn't bump into rocks. When you fall into the water, you're upside down and you need to press some keys to get right side up, then you need to swim to the surface. At the surface, you need to tread water long enough to call for help. That's all I've thought up so far, and it should be plenty to implement in itself.

An idea I had would be that no matter how poorly or well you do in the game, you always get saved at the end by some manly man. Maybe during the carriage ride, you have the ability to be saved by a hero and his horse. If you hit your head on the gravel, you get saved by some town-dweller. If you hit your head on a rock on the hill, you get saved by a farmer or other outdoorsman. If you can't swim very well, you get saved by a marine biologist. If you manage to call for help, you get saved by a policeman.

All voices and sound effects will be done by me, male and female, water and gravel. This is because I know nothing about sound design.

Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:07:12 AM by Super-Dot » Logged

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »

...Nice!  Convention busting is awesome!
Fuzz
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »

I love the window shaking idea. I'll be looking forward to this!
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:48 PM »

Window motion demo woo! This is to certify that I have X, Y and Z axes. In practice, it'll move a fraction of this much, so you don't need to worry about motion sickness or anything.

I get horrible performance in VMWare and superb performance in native Windows. What about you?

Blindfold.exe

Edit: Now the Z-axis uses math and science and The Kobel Touch to behave realistically! Coffee
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:22:56 PM by Kelsey Higham » Logged

Günter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »

I can imagine this turning into some sort of awesome interactive radio drama. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:38:16 AM »

Nice idea, really! Smiley
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »

So, how is this different to DooM 3?

Durr...?

(That was a zing at DooM 3 being too dark, not at your game. I think this twist on the 'cockpit' game is hilarious.)
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:46:17 PM »

Mine will have a plot!

Durr...?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic