Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:20:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGolden Krone Hotel
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Golden Krone Hotel  (Read 11072 times)
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

Steam Trading Cards and Price Increase

Boom goes the dynamite.

Golden Krone Hotel now has Steam Trading Cards. There's 5 cards, a badge, 3 backgrounds, and 10 emoticons to collect. Apparently, I forgot you also have to check a box to tell Valve your game has trading cards and achievements (even though it clearly already knows that). So... I've checked those boxes. Now you can see the features are present on the store page. Woot!

Some of you may have already been awarded cards for your playtime. This is really good, as I was initially concerned that recent changes to Trading Cards might prevent the cards from dropping completely for games like this one. Fortunately that's not the case.

One more thing
I'm putting the game on sale soon, though I can't say exactly when. When that happens, Golden Krone Hotel will be the cheapest it's ever been (and cheaper than it will be for several months).

Shortly after the sale ends, I'm planning on raising the price from $5 to somewhere around $10. This is a really tough decision to make, but I think after adding a tutorial, save system, unlockable classes, morgue files, a bunch of new branches and monsters, and all around polish the game is worth more than it was at launch.

If you have feedback on pricing, I'd be glad to hear it.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/497800/announcements/detail/1341358701085518174

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »

Also of note, for trading cards I basically needed a new logo (you need like a 200x40px one which is really wide and short) so I made my own little pixel font/logo. I had a lot of fun with this. I think it's good enough to replace the main title screen text, though I'm still tweaking it a bit:

I realized later that some of the motifs are not particularly unique (looks somewhat like Wolfenstein), but that's ok.

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 12:41:53 AM »

Nice start!

My last game:

Supporter of
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 04:02:33 AM »

Continuing my "Things I Hate About Roguelikes" series with a post about Identification systems: http://www.goldenkronehotel.com/wordpress/2017/06/25/things-i-hate-about-roguelikes-part-2-identification/

I am so bad/slow at writing blog posts and well marketing in general. But this series seems to be working out well. I already had 2 people say they were intrigued enough to buy the game just based on the post.

My Word!

And now back to development!

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 04:44:58 AM »

OMG  Hand Any Key I was interviewed for Roguelike Radio and it's out!

Roguelike Radio Episode 138: Golden Krone Hotel

Also just released an update featuring the Underworld branch. It has a ton of new bosses, infinite descent, procedural enemies, lava, ice, demon blood, etc. Full details here.

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »

Nearing the end of EA and tackling some big remaining items:

• Mac & linux support: testing seems to be going fine except I've given up hope on getting the steam overlay working
  • Optional diagonal movement: so this can be a proper roguelike
  • ASCII Mode: for the grognards in the audience

entire spritesheet converted

the underworld and a baron (constructed out of several characters)

thinking about keeping an absurd tiles+ASCII mode

in a happy coincidence, the character for vampire eyes (") matches up pixel perfectly with the big vampire character (V) and that's with no tweaking of the font I'm using (code page 437)

I think ASCII mode is looking OK, but I keep wondering if I shouldn't ensure every single monster has a distinct character representation and then redo the whole thing in only black/white/red.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 08:45:18 PM »

Is that an actual "spritesheet" (image) or you made that just for reference?

Heard about you on RLR, great talk. Kudos for committing to a price increase.

The core mechanic sounds cool and I want to play, I just don't have time to get into Roguelikes right now (waiting for Imbroglio on Mac). Maybe in the future. Congrats on innovating with sunlight + vampire mode. Sunlight especially and knocking out the glass is  Hand Clap

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »

Thanks!

It is an actual spritesheet. I figured the fastest way to do an ASCII mode would be to create a new spritesheet directly layered over the old one. I prefer this over text anyway, since I've had problems getting that to look good on canvas.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »

Thanks!

It is an actual spritesheet. I figured the fastest way to do an ASCII mode would be to create a new spritesheet directly layered over the old one. I prefer this over text anyway, since I've had problems getting that to look good on canvas.

Cool. Canvas? As in HTML5?

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »

Yea! I use HTML5 and build executables with nw.js. Other than struggling with performance sometimes, it works out well.

Tried this and definitely think red/white/black is a better fit for the horror theme:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »

I love the red v there!

nw.js you say? And it works on windows ok?

I've had a few issues with electron running on windows: https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/10407

So I'm going to check out https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js !

Can you share anything about performance -- is that from Canvas or NW.js?

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »

I've never had problems with Windows. I'm using Greenworks for the Steam API and have had trouble with the Steam overlay on Mac/Linux (there is a problem on Windows where you have to draw a 1px canvas to get it to respond, but I've solved that).

There was once a performance problem with compressed folders on nw.js. They might have fixed it, but I don't use it anyway. My main performance issue is simply HTML5. If I made better use of webgl, I might  be OK, but you run into hiccups with the standard canvas API so damn fast.

I wrote about it a little here: http://www.goldenkronehotel.com/wordpress/2015/10/10/tightening-up-the-graphics-on-dungeon-floor-3/

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »

Thank you so much!
I've had trouble getting the Steamworks Mac tools to even run without error ( abandoned for now), incidentally.

That's great to hear about your success with nw.js. I've added to my kanban board and I will check it out!

What are your plans after this project?

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »

Hmm, but it looks like you did use nw.js (as far as I can tell from the files) in Quantum Pilot? Neat little game by the way!

Oh boy. I always have a few dozen ideas kicking around. From a roguelite action game set on a tidally locked planet with both desert/frozen wasteland survival.... to a 2D MMO about creating graffiti in a dystopian city run by cyborg cats. Who knows!

I'll probably take a short break after I wrap up this game at the end of 2017 and then prototype some ideas before selecting one to stick with.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »

Hmm, but it looks like you did use nw.js (as far as I can tell from the files) in Quantum Pilot? Neat little game by the way!

Oh boy. I always have a few dozen ideas kicking around. From a roguelite action game set on a tidally locked planet with both desert/frozen wasteland survival.... to a 2D MMO about creating graffiti in a dystopian city run by cyborg cats. Who knows!

I'll probably take a short break after I wrap up this game at the end of 2017 and then prototype some ideas before selecting one to stick with.

Thanks! I just updated it yesterday. Got a __MACOSX folder stuck in there  for some reason but it worked on Win7 which is a win. Thank you Jerimiah  Gomez

Hah, some interesting concepts. I think sticking with 1 for a roguelike is an interesting approach - roguelikes have potential for a lot of gameplay but they need a ton of refinement. I'm impressed with the mechanics in GKH and hope you continue to innovate!

Have you tried 7DRLs before for prototyping?

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »

quantumpotato, I'd say every 7drl could be considered a prototype of sorts. You're highly encouraged to make a finished game and yet they can be expanded later. If you want to see my other 7drls: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=User:Jere

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »

HOLY CATS, WE'RE LEAVING EARLY ACCESS NEXT MONTH.

This month it's all about playing the way you want to play. That means Mac and Linux support, tools to prevent stupid deaths, keyboard examine, ASCII mode, and optional 8-way movement.

The final class has been added as well: Berserker. With the highest starting strength of all the disguises and an ENRAGE spell, you'll surely wreak havoc on the hotel. That brings us to 12 classes and 19 achievements to collect!

Diagonal movement

Four way movement has always been helpful for players without numpad. But sometimes it just doesn't feel like a roguelike without diagonals.

Adding optional 8-way movement to Golden Krone Hotel affects A LOT. Expect the game to feel different, but hopefully still balanced. It's now easier to dance around lone enemies and it's possible to dodge light beams. But remember it's also easier to get surrounded and magic becomes 8-directional too.

ASCII Mode
ASCII can look cool as hell. It's often easier to understand what's going on too. So here it is.

There's a Muted Palette option that almost turns the game greyscale (the main exception being hints of red). This an excellent option if you want to crank up the horror aesthetic.

Grognard Mode

If you really want to go old school, there's GROGNARD Mode. This flips a bunch of options simultaneously to make the game look and feel more like a classic roguelike. You'll get ASCII, diagonal movement, and a bunch of display effects turned off (like animation, damage numbers, bounciness, etc.).

But feel free to play with those on if you prefer! It's quite fun playing a little bouncy @.

Changelog:

• Mac and Linux now supported. Please let me know if you have any problems.
  • Optional diagonal movement added
  • ASCII mode added
  • Bump animation added
  • You can now Examine with keyboard (press V) and hovering over tiles also displays their name
  • Added a "Confirm dangerous moves" option. If you die to sunlight a lot, this might help
  • Berserker class added
  • Shapeshifter now turns into a wolf whenever in moonlight
  • Spiridus and Moroi toned down a bit. Moroi range reduced
  • Options menu reorganized and several new options added
  • Sound play when selecting options
  • Added highlighted text to tutorial to make it easier to understand
  • Fixed a very weird bug with ice/stairs that created ghost enemies that could be killed infinitely
  • Fixed a crash when playing the game outside of the Steam client
  • Fixed an issue with the revolver cancellation not clearing selected tiles
  • Fixed an issue with certain attack types being displayed
  • Fixed an issue with rebinding ESCAPE/ENTER
  • Fixed the display of 1HP in morgue files
  • Fixed an issue with ring display in morgue files
  • Fixed an issue with resting while poisoned/burning

Since the game is wrapping up, please let me know of any last minute ideas on balance/polish. Big changes are probably not making it in, but there's still a month to fine tune things.

And I'm super serious about the price increase this time (I wanted one last opportunity for Mac/Linux players to buy at $5).

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »

I like the muted palette option a lot! I'll probably play Grognard - thank you for including these options.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »

How was implementing trading cards & achievements with nw.js? Don't you have to reach the Steam SDK somehow?

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »

I use Greenworks, which is a pretty great library. They have release binaries, just pray the combined versions of Greenworks+NW+SteamSDK works for you. One you get that setup, it's really a breeze as far as the technical part goes. It does a bunch of other stuff, but I only need it for Achievements. Trading Cards are actually handled automatically and require no code.

As far as the work into each... Achievements were super easy for me because the image size is like 64px and I have 16px tiles. I just resized a bunch of sprites I had in game.

Trading Cards are a lot more work. You have to make at least 5 pieces of art, 3 backgrounds, badges, emojis. Having not dived into the system before, I was really surprised by what all was required. I still basically reused art I had, but it was a bit more work. Plus the template for your logo is such an odd resolution that I had to redo that from scratch (seen earlier in this thread).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic