Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:29:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopThe Last Alchemist Setpiece, Critique and suggestions.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Last Alchemist Setpiece, Critique and suggestions.  (Read 2529 times)
redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:36:56 AM »

I'm trying to work on my first set piece for my game. I feel like something is just wrong and doesn't tie together correctly, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is or how to fix it. Only the front face of the building is really fleshed out. I just am looking to get some help before sinking even more time into it. I feel like the character and the building aren't cohesive, and I have no idea why...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »

pitch black and black outlines are generally not a good idea for background. Those windows and doors suck the attention away from charcter, especially when everyhing else is white.
Also perspective may be a problem if theres another building, unless every building in a game is its own sprite
redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »

pitch black and black outlines are generally not a good idea for background. Those windows and doors suck the attention away from charcter, especially when everyhing else is white.
Also perspective may be a problem if theres another building, unless every building in a game is its own sprite

You're absolutely right. It calls all the attention away from the character and the rest of the scenery. Thanks!

Decided to go with a completely straightforward perspective, and am trying to fill in the windows and doorway to get rid of the attention grabbing black. Really struggling with what to put in the windows... Tried curtains and shutters, but I can't get either to look right.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:41:26 PM by redsuinit » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »

you could just replace black with violet or another dark color
redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »

Headed towards more of a Mediterranean style. Could anyone help me out with the shadows. Something just looks wrong.... I have no idea how to fix it. Ignore the oddly shaped window up top, I'm just experimenting with a bunch of different things, but I have no clue how to do shadows like that and am looking for some advice.
redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »

I think I am starting to realize that I am not a very good pixel artist. This is taking me an incredibly long amount of time to do, and I feel like it's just plain bad.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »

i honestly was really fond of the first take, only with a tweaked palette. probably pump the saturation and contrast over the character and lower them on the background. the projection was fine

redsuinit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »

i honestly was really fond of the first take, only with a tweaked palette. probably pump the saturation and contrast over the character and lower them on the background. the projection was fine

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm still not sure what I will end up doing. It's really early on. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to work on this over the past week. So there hasn't been much progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic