Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:56:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Main character mini poll
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Main character mini poll  (Read 1634 times)
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »

Hello guys!
We are currently trying to decide which of these designs will become the main character of our upcoming game, Trashomancer:
Right now the red suited human is winning, what do you guys think? Dog faced ones are a bit less expressive.

Update 02/sep/2015:

I've tried adding an assistant to the dog hero that is the one who actually makes him move his butt and make him create minions:

Oh, she also takes him for a walk sometimes

Dog hero seems to be winning some points, I'll make some portraits and update this very soon again to have some more perspective into which character we end up with  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:50:15 PM by stringkiller » Logged

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »

make it look not like asian faux-nazi band
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »

Yeah... like cobralad said, don't make them look like nazis (take away the red band).  If you take off the white dot's I'd go with the red human.
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, here's the same image without the white dot:

It makes them look less naziesuqe and also it makes the sprite less noisy so is quite better overall. I couldn't get any colour for the band that I liked in the non red dressed ones though (beside red of course). So most likely red human will win  Smiley

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 01:57:51 AM »

i vote red suited dog, but would prefer even more if the dog was a labrador

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »

Red suit is very nice for a main character. But I have to say that I totally love the second dog. It would be an amazing bad guy. I'd love to see a full army of those.

Ananda.C
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »

Red is more eyecatching, but imho color palette is something that should relate to the general narrative/mood of the game and is quite hard to make an informed decision without that info. Same with the human or dog thing, I don't think one looks better than the other, but one might be more appropiate than the other.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »

I like dog face! That blue haired guy seems like I've seen him in a million JRPGs already.

Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 02:40:11 AM »

Red is more eyecatching, but imho color palette is something that should relate to the general narrative/mood of the game and is quite hard to make an informed decision without that info. Same with the human or dog thing, I don't think one looks better than the other, but one might be more appropiate than the other.

All of this

Also, compositional issues. What is the colour of your environments and atmospheric effects? Something which looks good on the forum's default backing would look WILDLY DIFFERENT in a game about going through lava stages.

White tends to be a good choice because few environments have that little saturation, and it's bright. Also because of the tabula rasa thing, but whatever.

If we're just going off what I'm looking at here, I like the purple man. I agree he likes a little animu but again that might fit your aesthetic.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

Thanks guys! So many opinions and answers...

@Mittens If dog is the final character I'll try to make it a labrador in cutscenes. The day I can make 10x6 pixels (or so) seem exactly like a labrador I will be consider myself an accomplished pixel artist.

@bombjack It's definitively tempting, I'll keep it in mind most likely for future projects.

@Ananda.C and Drof The character is a powerful person in its environment. He is a trashomancer and although he is the main character you'll never see him your main character creator room where he makes trash minions (the ones you actually control). Red seems good for an eye catching powerful character but this dude is also pretty lazy as he never takes matters into his own hands even though he is an accomplished magician-sortof. Most likely the mood in the character selection screen will be a dark-ish lab, with some wacky elements here and there as you'll see your possible characters created from piles of trash.

@diegzumillo True stuff that he was kind of jrpg-like, it was intended as a possible look but I think every dark haired or dog combination looks better. These are the first comments pro-dogface I'm getting so my imagination is kinda flying at the moment XD.

Based on your comments I'll also think about adding a possible "secretary" that actually gets the job done and scolds the mc but that only seems like a good choice for dog faces. It seems to me that dog face exalts the lazy aspect of the character while human face exalts his power, so evil secretary seems to go better with the dog face. I'll update with lil' concepts when I get some extra time to do them  Grin

Thanks a bunch guys! Updates will come soon.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »

I updated the main thread with the assistant designs, I think it can be a pretty nice touch to add to the dog hero but I can't find her a non cliché place to the human one.

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 05:41:58 AM »

I checked out your game and it looks great, but I was wondering why a dog?

What if you did something like a raccoon in a suit?  I would definitely vote for that instead of the dog.
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »

I checked out your game and it looks great, but I was wondering why a dog?

What if you did something like a raccoon in a suit?  I would definitely vote for that instead of the dog.

A racoon would be great specially since they steal a lot stuff and that fits his lore, but the head looked way to noisy on such a small scale Sad. Thanks for the suggestion though Smiley.

By the way we continued this discussion on the devlog, you can check it out on my signature if you'd like.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic