Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:10:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow can I learn level design
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How can I learn level design  (Read 3304 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »

Level designing requires a deep understanding of the particular game you are designing levels for. So keep that in mind when learning about level design. Your knowledge acquired on, say, mario maker, will be useful but it will not transfer entirely to another game. There are fundamental and very abstract pieces of knowledge to be gained that can be applied to more games, but these come with experience. I guess what I'm trying to say is, design levels for a wide range of different games, and learn what it takes to learn designing levels for a game. That was a very confusing sentence, I hope I can get my message across.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »

Try to play some games thinking like a designer, paying attention and trying to figure out why everything is the way it is. Why is that Goblin in this place? Why are those platforms arranged like that? Try to think about those things, also, think about what you like and don't like in that level and why.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:14:31 PM »

"Meaningful Choices in Level Design"

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 06:49:07 PM »

I don't like this talk very much. His power of synthesis is non existent, and most of what he talks about doesn't seem to be general. To be fair, games is way too big of an area to talk about 'level design' in a general way, but if I were him I would start by specifying "here are the kind of games I'm pretty sure about this stuff, anything else I don't know".

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 06:12:16 AM »

Yes, games are too vast and different to talk about level design in a general way. That talk definitively doesn't cover everything but has a lot of ideas that can be applied to a lot of different games. You just need to abstract it a little more.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 06:53:43 AM »

I think mechanics design and level design are one and the same. Or at least i think it's a good idea to design mechanics with the level design already in mind.
JWK5
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic