Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:16:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIndustrial Petting - 3D automation game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Industrial Petting - 3D automation game  (Read 5636 times)
anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2015, 05:09:18 PM »

Hey people! Currently working on a new game that's kind of a puzzley automation thing.

Totally have forgotten about this devlog. Just leaving a link to the download page in case people are interested in updates.

Download it now on itch.io!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:22:11 PM by anotheryeti » Logged

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »

OOh! automation is fun.

I don't get your remark about voxels though. Does this tetrahedron tessellation imposes a different data structure?

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »

Yeah, voxels are connected cubes, which means each node has 6 connections, and the shortest loop you can make is 4. In a tetrahedral setup, each node has 4 faces, and the shortest loop is 6.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:36:33 AM »

sounds like a cool idea. I'm having a really hard time understanding what I am seeing though Smiley
I think you will need quite a lot of contrast between lit and unlit areas of the terrain.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:42:15 PM »

Yeah, it's not exactly readable at the moment. Once I have the basic tech work done I'll get the art to something understandable.

Speaking of tech work, spent most of today banging my head against Unity's SerializableObject and ScriptableObject. But now I have a working item type database, along with custom inspectors. Now for any particular item that gets made, the relevant prefabs and info can all be kept in one place and edited from one place. I'm pretty happy about it.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 12:52:07 AM »

I like the idea, but i'm not sure about the choice of truncated tetrahedrons. It's harder for me to get my head around the three-dimensional structure of those compared to truncated octahedrons, for example (because they are closer to a sphere, i guess):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Truncated_octahedra.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/Bitruncated_Cubic_Honeycomb.svg/440px-Bitruncated_Cubic_Honeycomb.svg.png
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:57:25 AM by zorg » Logged
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 01:09:43 AM »

Although cubes are usually used to represent voxels, the definition seems a little broader. But I don't really know this stuff, I could be talking nonsense. And it's irrelevant anyway.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:52 AM »

Voxel may be the right term after all. People usually think of cubes, though.

I looked at the truncated octahedra when picking a packing, but I was afraid that having 8 connections at every node might be a little overwhelming when making things. Also looks a little blobby.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:45:58 AM »

Maybe your game will help me to get a better understanding of tetrahedrons. I'm looking forward to the first build. Smiley

Do you plan to fill the empty spaces between the structures?

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »

Current plan is to have the generated terrain be filled using triakis truncated tetrahedra, which is a full space-filling tessellation, and to have the player-built objects keep the spaces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triakis_truncated_tetrahedron

At the moment, the terrain is just a bunch of the normal ones filling it up. Even on the inside. There's a quarter of a million triangles been drawn there right now. >.>

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 03:42:32 AM »

Been a productive few days, got a whole bunch of fixes to the item system working, as well as factories and better transport mechanics. Also added a 2-click interface for transporters so that it can do the 3D pathfinding for you.

Going to fix up a bunch of bugs in the factories and add some super-shitty programmer art, and I'll push that version up on here!

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »

Finally have a build ready(ish) for public consumption!

It's butt-ugly and potentially a little confusing, but I've been having fun with it so far.

D/L links and info on the first post.

Here's what it looks like when you place the first three starting blocks:

And after a half hour of building:

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »

the visuals are a lot better than in the first version! I finally understand what I am seeing. well, maybe not understand, but I am no longer confused about the shapes.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »

Alright, been thinking about the art style I'm looking for/can do myself, and have been thinking a lot about triangles. Everything in this is some sort of simplex, so I decided the textures might be as well. I spent this morning modifying the unity standard shader to do a triangular-based sampling of textures. So after much fiddling, finally ended up with this!

Which doesn't look like much, but it means I can have pixel-perfect triangle patterns on triangles like this, just via texture mapping:

Which I'm pretty happy about.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »

Got some more art in the game, along with a bunch of work on the gameplay side of things. I'm really happy about the triangular textures, gives everything a really interesting look.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 12:15:04 AM »

Ah, I've been interested how this would look once some final art got into the game. The textures look very crisp, I see you're also going for lots of geometric shapes, which I think is going to look really nice. I'd be interested in seeing a bit more of that!

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »

looks great! making the assets is probably a lot of work?
the white box area looks like it is outside of the normal triangular setup, is that a test?

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 01:29:41 AM »

Will you add hexagonal holes instead in the future?

I like the textures, very unique!
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 02:13:24 AM »

I'm really happy about the triangular textures, gives everything a really interesting look.

How is it done? Is the texture real big in resolution containing lots of square pixels per triangle? Or did you find amore clever solution?

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »

looks great! making the assets is probably a lot of work?
the white box area looks like it is outside of the normal triangular setup, is that a test?
The white squares are currently placeholder stuff, I've been playing around with having certain inputs on blocks only take certain items i.e., if you're building a Whatnot, and it needs a Foo and a Bar, then one of those inputs will show the Foo icon, and the other will show the Bar. I may not keep that.

Doing the modeling+mapping+texturing has been taking around 3-4 hours for each shape so far, but I'm getting faster.

I'm really happy about the triangular textures, gives everything a really interesting look.

How is it done? Is the texture real big in resolution containing lots of square pixels per triangle? Or did you find amore clever solution?
The way the triangle textures work is via a custom shader that changes how unity does texture sampling. Instead of square texels, it reinterprets the texture coordinates to make triangles. The actual texture is pretty low-res, each of those triangles on the blocks is a single texel. Here's what the factory texture looks like, complete with test patterns in the corners:

Will you add hexagonal holes instead in the future?

I like the textures, very unique!

Not really sure what you mean by hexagonal holes...
Tomorrow I'll probably have another build uploaded w/ more art, and you can see for yourself what's going on.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic