Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:35:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51617 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »

I just realized (or I'm forgetting something stupidly): How did the Player escape the Underground in the Neutral ending? They needed a Monster Soul to do that...but Flowey killed Asgore and they can't absorb other human souls. How DID they get out, since the ending bit implies that they did?

iirc it's the other way around. the monsters needed frisk's soul to cross the barrier. he can cross through perfectly fine.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »

what about all those monster you kill (because neutral)? I don't really know either Who, Me?

monsters you kill stop spawning afaik. the monsters in this game are all unique characters.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »

I have never seen fan art of an indie game take over the internet SO FAST :O

@silber It's not that I was refering to, but anyway I think I'm wrong there. I know they don't spawn back.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »

oops i should have paid attention to context.  Embarrassed
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2015, 03:03:17 PM »

iirc it's the other way around. the monsters needed frisk's soul to cross the barrier. he can cross through perfectly fine.

Right before you leave the Core Alphys reveals that this was a lie - she states explicitly you need a monster soul to cross the barrier.

You can fight Asgore and escape the underground with zero kills (not counting Asgore, which is technically killed by Flowey, not you) by not doing the sidequests to unlock the pacifist ending, which does seem like a plot hole. The best I can come up with in that scenario is that Flowey killing Asgore nets you Asgore's soul and you use that after the Flowey battle.
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »

But Flowey destroys his Soul so...

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »

Where does the game explicitly state that Flowey destroys his soul? The soul shattering animation probably isn't a soul being destroyed, since it happens even if you're killed by a monster that wants to steal your soul.

But you are right, the game is also never clear on how you escape in the Neutral ending.
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »

That is true, but you never level up or gain anything. They do state that Boss Monster souls last...but I'd assume Flowey absorbed it or it went away since you never see it when you get out.
Not that I care much for pointing out plotholes. Even some of the best works of fiction have issues, though it is interesting to note.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »

you may be trapped underground after neutral endings, it sounds ambiguous
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »

hOi!

Totally late to the party here it seems...

I've always thought about making a game where you didn't have to literally fight tons of creatures and it was wonderful finally seeing one in action. And pure pacifist last part had a strong emotional impact on me.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of the writing and scenarios borrowed so much from theater acting, which really multiplied its charm.

Twitter
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2015, 02:16:24 AM »

BIG OL' SPOILERS

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:06 AM »

this game just topped stanley parable by being an actual game

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

I think The Stanley Parable is a game  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »

it's a joke, I think it is too, I just wanted to draw a comparison with stanley parable and have a punchline, I'll agree it was bad taste (I thought that the context of me defending art game would make the joke clear, but not all people know)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »

tbh i also think its better than stanley parable bc there is more to it than the LOL SO META stuff. its a really good game.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »

to be frank, Stanley parable was an experiment in the same level that passage was, it set out to prove something about game design by removing everything else and keeping the element to prove. See the genesis of the project from valve to the current author.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »

tbh i also think its better than stanley parable bc there is more to it than the LOL SO META stuff. its a really good game.
Oh yeah, I'd totally agree. Undertale explores, questions, and subverts far more medium conventions, and tells a wonderful story, too. The most interesting thing to me is that where many games shape their story to fit a system, Undertale shapes its system to fit its story.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2015, 03:02:38 AM »

there are other games that have tried this (david cage/quantic dream games kinda). but undertale is better, not only because the gameplay changes happen in a very "fluid" way that makes them seem almost effortless, but also because the interactions are not banal or gimmicky (which is a problem with david cage's games), but make sense from a narrative point of view.

also i should say that undertale is one of the very few games where interactivity actually draws me into the story rather than pushing me away from it, so that's cool.
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »

Agreed. This game achieves Ludonarrative Harmony.

It does help that Toby used classic RPG turn-based encounters and since dynamic conversations happen inside the encounter, it solidifies the story moments rather than "wail on boss to move to next plot cutscene."

There's probably some ways that a similar 3D real-time encounter system can work beyond combat/stealth/QTE, but it would likely take a ton of prototyping and playtesting.

Twitter
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2015, 04:35:17 PM »

Bonetrousle 16 Bit (SNES Earthbound Remix) - Undertale

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic