Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:38:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51641 times)
DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: December 10, 2015, 06:13:27 AM »

The problem is Toby was well over 18 when he started.

I'm not. I got 2.5 more years before I turn 18.

I dont know if making a game like undertale would be a impressive thing or not. either way. about 300 freaking dollars would be invested into making this game. (gamemaker, fl studio, etc).

This also means I can't invest into a kickstarter

Unless if anyones got a huge alternative to fl studio.

It's OK, man. Nobody expects you to churn out a masterpiece before you're 18...Just the fact that you're dreaming big this young is good in itself. Smiley

If you want a passable free alternative to FL Studio, try OpenMPT. It's a really nice tracker that's not quite as robust as FL Studio, but more powerful than MIDI composing. Once you become a very good composer using that, then I'd suggest upgrading to FL Studio.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 10, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »

Yeh, it's extremely rare for someone's very first game to be amazing and it doesn't mean you should give up if yours isn't. i can think of maybe 3 games where that was the case. even undertale only half counts bc toby made romhacks before it.

Actually i would advise against "trying to be good" at this early stage tbh. You'll learn more by doing stuff than worrying about whether your stuff is good enough.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:35:15 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
JWK5
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2015, 07:46:11 AM »

Make some shit. Sprinkle some love on it. Water it with some learning. Watch it grow into better shit.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »

zarxto, you and I should make something together with GMstudio.
Youngsters unite.
KunaiFire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2015, 02:26:26 PM »

alternative to fl studio

I don't know anything and I never tried it myself but I think the closest thing to a free alternative to fl is LMMS. It even has VST support!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »

Whoever said that Undertale music wasn't memorable obviously never appreciated the full extent of Papyrus's meme worthy theme.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »

There is only 3 characters in the game Toriel, Asgore and chara/frisk/flowey/asriel

JWK5
« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »

I tend to have an apprehension with games, especially indie ones unfortunately, that have been declared "artsy" or "moving" because I've played a bit too many of them where I am sitting there like "Really, all that noise over this!?" I don't even mean the games are bad, I just don't think every little nudge in one direction or another is mind-blowing and earth-shattering. It seems like nothing can just be "hmmm... not bad", everything has to be absolutely the best thing ever or so terrible the creator and their family and anyone mentioning their name must suffer and die.

Eventually I will give the game a try, but I will wait until all the hype and furor dies down. I don't really like playing a game with a choir of hyperbole echoing in the back of my mind, I want to approach it with a fairly open mind. It sounds interesting enough, at least more than it looks.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »

The hype will only continue to grow now and forever.

Gimmy, why don't Sans or Papyrus make your list? Of all the characters, Asgore is probably the least interesting or memorable of the major characters since he appears so briefly and gets so little character development.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »

In term of stake in the story, other support that trio, asgore is important in building the core even though he is almost absent. I should have said the game is about 3 characters, although chara vs the "trio" is debatable.

edit
My parent separated too (never married) and I'm on the same ballpark as you but the story is really about flowey/asriel/chara/frisk perspective, I assume they are the same character or that at least the death of chara spring the whole "perspective", flowey is basically anger and frustration, asriel the former self, and frisk the consciousness that deal with the thoughts and impulse that traverse it, hence why flowey is beyond time. When you restart after the genocide run (I believe) the soulless flowey do feel guilt and hint the pacific run, in some replay the game is cal floweytale and your name is flowey. The only other character with determination is Asriel. The whole game is about loss, the goto "deep" theme, it's very like majora's mask (and chrono trigger) in its treatment for me, repeated play to get all the story from many perspective, maybe the best (stealth) time travel game out there. Oh well it's less about divorce and more loss (chara). It make more sense as to way Asriel return and use the souls of everybody to break the barrier even though that seems to contradict the supposed lore, he then says he do not want to return as a souless flower, ie the mental state he tries from breaking of (the perspective of the stories, it's allegorical.

Edit: (the divorce stuff I thought when Toriel stay mad against asgore (don't want to be call dreemur) thus implying their relation is not repaired).

About earthbound
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mother-3-faces-some-significant-hurdles-to-be-localized-for-wii-us-vc-or-any-other-nintendo-console.454360372/

edit
Another way to see it is that undertale is the successful localisation of mother 3 into the west without the problem associated with it (read the first spoiler of that link, you will see the common motif like sunflower field, etc ...)

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: December 10, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »

asgore borders nearly on macguffin tbh

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/erikscheele/moms-bonetrousletti

https://soundcloud.com/le-ruse-bird/asgore-give-me-a-sign

zarxto
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »

zarxto, you and I should make something together with GMstudio.
Youngsters unite.

I would, but if I ever created another project it would be an ironic game like Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2015, 11:41:04 PM »

After playing through and getting the neutral ending a few days ago, my plan was to go for full pacifist, then genocide afterward to see all of the game's content.

Completed pacifist and it was beautiful. I was surprised by the amount of extra stuff I hadn't seen the first time through. I'd hung out with Papyrus, but had no idea Undyne and Alphys were even an option until Flowey told me about them.

I started genocide afterward, and...I think I seriously can't bring myself to finish it. I got as far as killing Undyne, but that was too much. Each major character's death was made that much more impactful by just having seen the pacifist ending. I knew it would be rough, but it turned out to be WAY more emotional than I expected.

If you enter Frisk as your name, is the game different enough to warrant another normal/pacifist playthrough? If so, maybe I'll do that instead...

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »

If you enter Frisk as your name, is the game different enough to warrant another normal/pacifist playthrough? If so, maybe I'll do that instead...

Sorry, but that secret is more of an easter egg than a fully-fleshed feature. When you do that, the game sees some changes but becomes as short as the UNDERTALE demo. It's worth checking out to see what's different, but it can be finished in about an hour so don't get your hopes up. Sad

Either way, I really hope Toby Fox patches the game and finishes that feature one day. For me, the Neutral route was a cakewalk (1 death), the Pacifist route was way too easy (2 deaths) and even the Genocide route could not satisfy my masochistic needs (8 deaths). Come on Toby Fox, you can do better than that! Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:23:37 AM by DragonDePlatino » Logged

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »

you might want to enter Gaster as your name

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/bge20_vote meltdown imminent

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »

when has an online poll actually meant anything
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »

Since when it's been monetized and called kickstarter. That and marketing.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »

look I like Undertale but a 93 on metacritic seems a bit much lmao
it's pretty much proof that you don't actually need "groundbreaking" mechanics to be considered a good indie game, just a good story and some funky tunes

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic