Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:41:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDegrees of Separation
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Degrees of Separation  (Read 4905 times)
AlexTemina
Level 0

Moondrop game developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:36 AM »

I guess now they are in the Bergen Game Collective though and we'll be going there this year.
Yep!

I know about Pode, yes, but very little about the actual gameplay.
It's focused on helping each other progress rather than fighting monsters or something like that, and has a rather beautiful æsthetic just like this game, so those were the similarities I noticed. You also made a post about vegetation, which is something they've been blogging about recently. Tongue

I read through it and looks a very nice and interesting post. Our post is about wind, though. You can make move flowers, leaves, a curtain, clothes, hair... We actually intend to use the shader and wind machines for other objects in the game. We are already using the wind machines to make leaves swirls around, for example.
AlexTemina
Level 0

Moondrop game developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 04:19:27 AM »

Hey fellas!

We made a blog post about how to create a colorized fog in a 2D game, and I think it's a good moment to show you how we use fog in Degrees of Separation.

Our fog is highly customizable, with the main parameters being 8 color gradients, 4 for each temperature:

- Back fog is the one that you can see far away, in mountains and trees.
- Front fog is the one for objects between the camera and the place where Rime and Ember are. It's normally dark, and it helps giving the scene a depth feeling.
- Top and bottom make fog blend into 2 colors, so mountain peaks can have a darker color, for example.

Thanks to these options we can apply different tones in each world, in order to change the ambiance depending on the context of the level. For example, the first part of the game and the first world have slightly different tones:

Meeting:

First World:

The fog helps standing up the contrast between cold and warm, and makes the game gain depth and beauty. You can check how different a scene looks without fog and with fog:

Without Fog:

With Fog:

You can check the entire blog post to know how the fog is made in-depth here.
FrostyChao
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »

The concept is very cool, and wow that soundtrack is stunning!

I've noticed this "line" that shows up between the characters in the later gifs. Does it mean that the characters can't touch one another?

I also loved the fog and the cold/warm effect.

Good luck! It looks great so far.

AlexTemina
Level 0

Moondrop game developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 01:34:01 AM »

We are very happy you like our work, @FrostyChao! Indeed, they live in 2 different worlds hence they can never touch each other... and that is one of the main points of the story Smiley

Keep in touch with us to check out every new features we work on!
AlexTemina
Level 0

Moondrop game developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 05:19:37 AM »

We updated the GIF's in the first post to reflect the current status of the game.
We hope you like how it looks!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic