Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:28:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionKlonk
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Klonk  (Read 5686 times)
Phreax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:00:05 AM »

Hey all,
It's my first post, and it features what would be my Cockpit Compo entry, if time was on my side.

Name of the game: KLONK

The concept:
You are Klonk. You have built a giant robot to explore a world you are too small for. Right now, you are inside the robot, ready to make it move, only the engine doesn't move.

The outside would be a mode7 world seen through the eyes of the robot. The inside would resemble old LucasArts point'n'clickers only controlled as a platformer, and Klonk having an extendable right arm, that you control with the mouse.
Inside you have to solve puzzles, to get keep the robot going. At first, you have to find what's wrong with the downstairs engine and the robot has to be fed chicken wings down a burping hole once in a while. You have to 'empty' it and 'dump' the trash, when the wings are digested. Plus there would be hidden rooms and a storyline of smaller puzzles

You use the arrow keys to control Klonk in sidescrolling platformer manner and with the mouse, you control Klonk's robot hand.
You can use it to grab hooks, so you can jump and swing around and you can use it to grab levers and pull them sideways, up and down etc.

For the outside mission I would have gone simple for the demo and name it: Klonk find flower (He's not too bright)  ... and have him follow the radar in the screenshot to find the flower and then pick it up.

The technicalities:

When you stand in front of a control panel, you can activate it with 'Space'. Now you use the keys to control left hand levers, and can still use the right hand to grab different handles.

There are 2 main panels. One by the left eye to control moving and rotating the robot and one by the right eye to control the robot looking up and down and picking up stuff.

I attached 3 mockups:

shows the start of the complete 'level' (it's the inside of a robot...cosily decorated of course).

shows a screen from the game (The left eye of the robot) and Klonk operating a panel. Pixels are double size, which they would be in the game.

Shows the handsome young Klonk

Well, let me know what'cha think Smiley

*EDIT*

I will show progress in the following link:
http://gpx.dk/klonk.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:32:09 AM by Phreax » Logged

muzui.com - free mobile phone games download
fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:11:46 AM »

Beg please don't drop out, please.

I have mooselike reflexes
Phreax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:14:55 AM »

Thanks A Person. Obviously I haven't turned my back on it, then I wouldn't post. Hopefully some late nights could dish up a demo :D

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:43:31 AM »

I too would really love to see this done. Keep it up  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »

This is a great take on the "cockpit" theme, and I for one am really looking forward to playing this game! The graphics is... I'd say "pleasing" is the best word (because it makes me feel good!) and enjoyable!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:47:29 AM »

I clicked this today and it made me happier on the inside.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:35 AM »

The graphics give me a fuzzy feelings!
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »

That art style brings back HAPPY memories!   Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »

That first screen gives me a design idea: notice that the tunnel leading to the head and the room looks a bit like the oesophagus and stomach cavity. Perhaps you could design the layout of the robot's rooms to resemble look and layout of human organs and passages?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Phreax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »

@Mikademus: That's exactly the idea Wink In the room downstairs, there would be a hole with green bubbles coming up. Here you throw chicken wings in, and when it's full, it burps! Then once in a while you have to empty the stomach... :D

Also I want a hidden room on top, where the brain should be.

To all of you, glad it makes you fuzzy and happy :D That's how it feels drawing it :D

For platform, I think I'd just go for Flash, for ease and accessibility.

Phreax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

I spent an hour setting up the basic Klonk and a lever you can drag sideways.

Move Klonk with the left and right arrow. Move the hand with the mouse (it has a range of 150 pixels from Klonk). Click and hold left mouse button on the lever and drag left/right to pull it.

http://www.gpx.dk/klonk.html

Phreax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »

Haha, I guess he could look like Barney, if Barney had eaten Fred :D

Phreax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 02:32:52 AM »