Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:21:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWhat is Bothering Carl?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is Bothering Carl?  (Read 3212 times)
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:38:37 AM »

Hey everyone!

You might remember seeing this project when I posted some screens and videos in the Art section a while back. Well, it is finally finished!

So I just wanted to formally announce the launch of Story Fort along with our first interactive book, "What is Bothering Carl?" I know this isn't the hippest project, since it is for little kids, but I thought people might still find it cool, or even.... *GASP* have kids already. Unthinkable Smiley

A free trial is available on the site, and the downloadable full version is available for purchase.

"What’s Bothering Carl? is the tale of a cyclops named Carl whose laidback attitude is disrupted by a single nuisance.  Young readers will discover Carl’s dilemma as they read along with the voiceover, and discover new words and meanings thanks to interactive pop-ups.  Bonus materials include two songs and accompanying music videos, plus a memory-based game, that will provide hours of fun."

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »

Awesome, looks really nice  Smiley The website is real nice too  Smiley
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

Great work, man!  You did it!  This is a great gift for the younglings.
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »

Ageist.  Cry
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »

Very polished looking!

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »

looks very polished! good work.  Smiley

i remember that there were interactive books when i was a kid with sounds and sculptured sites.
(not on pc  Wink)
but they were technically limited. (but portable)

but this book / game with all the interactivity / possibilities - due to the technical progress of today - seems pretty nice and i think little kids will enjoy this interactive book pretty much.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »

I remember the videos, and god does it all just reek of cuteness. Great job.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »

cool artwork.  Beer!

crakkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »

Wow, this is really well done. Great artwork and software. My kids liked the characters immediately.

I think you may be charging a bit too much; most 12-24 page children's books go for about $10. Adding up the extra content and subtracting the discount of digital distribution, I think that would be a more justifiable price, given that it's not very interactive beyond some systems that will probably be in all of your books.

Very impressive first work and site, though. I hope the whole endeavor takes off!!
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »

Awesome! I am glad your kids enjoyed it... I'll think about dropping the price too. To be fair, I haven't sold many at all, but I am having trouble getting any exposure too!

Here is a question for everyone:

Do you think my time would be better spent trying to recode the book to get it on Mac?

Or do you think that I should just keep making other (PC only) books at this point?

Also- If anyone wants to help me with a Mac port, it would be much appreciated!

-Andy

(It would need to be coded from scratch, since I made this in MMF2... of course, all the content is obviously already done...)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic