Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:37:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallHacknPlan, a planning tool for indie gamedev, launches open beta
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: HacknPlan, a planning tool for indie gamedev, launches open beta  (Read 33518 times)
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »

Great initiative! It's fantastic to get a tool aimed at game developers. I particularly like the idea of linking the GDD to the task creation. I tried to do that somehow with my team but couldn't find the proper tool to do so.
I simulated my project with it and like it so far. However, I prefer Scrum over Kanban. I will see how I may simulate Scrum practices with your tool (I am very fond of stories, test cases and sprint goals). Of all the tools I used, I preferred Hansoft as it was the best to organise a sprint and track people progress. Target Process is a good Hansoft-light but my team (in different countries and not a lot of big team xp) still found it too complex. They preferred Trello for its user-friendliness; unfortunately it lacks any planning and budget tracking; not great for producers (which is why I like your Category Stats panel). Jira is just frustrating.
I think that if you achieve the link between GDD and tool, it could be ground-breaking for designers. I'd be happy to discuss more about that.
By the way, I felt that it's missing certain categories. For example 'Art Direction' didn't land in any category for the model. As other documents.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the idea. The tool doesn't enforce the Kanban methodology, just uses the kanban panel as many other methodologies including Scrum, but you really can apply the method you want. I wanted it to be a bit agnostic on that aspect, enforcing Scrum for instance would have left behind many indie devs which are just one person or very small teams. In the future I will maybe add some kind of add-on to "scrumify" it, but I want to keep the core generic in terms of methodology but specific about game development.

Working on HacknPlan, the planning tool for indie game developers.
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »

Really love what you are doing here! How will you guys "keep the lights on"?

Thanks! To make this project sustainable we will need to go for a freemium model, I think there is no other alternative for this kind of application. Ads are a no no for me when it comes to professional tools, so our approach will be keeping the core free and have premium add-ons, specially thought for scaling up (more user slots, more attachment space, advanced permissions and workflows, analytics...). Once we finish the beta phase and have all the core stuff in place we'll go for this, let's see how it goes :-)

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »

Hi there,

We added new features and improvements to the application today, specially the customization of categories that was a feature frequently requested by our users.

More details at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-3-2015-11-15/

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »

o

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 04:40:53 AM »

o

o? O? o!!

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »

Hi guys!

We added some new features to the application today. The most important ones are sub-tasks and milestone sorting, along with some visual improvements.

You can take a look here: http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-4-2015-11-25/

Cheers

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »

Hi again,

I come with new updates for HacknPlan. We have launched the first version of our notification system. You can read more about it at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-5-2015-12-21/

Cheers

Fmressel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »

Looks very interesting and cool. I'll definitely give it a try and come back here with feedback. Smiley
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »

Looks very interesting and cool. I'll definitely give it a try and come back here with feedback. Smiley

Thanks!!

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »

So I just came back to HacknPlan and I'm loving the new designs!
One thing though - one the Game Model page, the model elements list doesn't increase the size of the whole page when it goes offscreen, but it just puts a scrollbar on the list itself.  A bit off-putting to me from a UI standpoint, I was expecting to scroll anywhere and move down like on the Summary page.  So just a suggestion but if you could make the Model Elements list increase the size of the whole page that'd be awesome.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
starlightgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 03:40:24 AM »

Woah! That's a sweet tool! I can only imagine the amount of work, or hosting you would need to run that. Keep up the awesome work!
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:30 AM »

Hi guys,

It's been quite some time since I posted here. We have plenty of new features for HacknPlan, like attachments, task card pictures, task cloning, ui improvements, importance levels... Take a look at the last two entries of the devlog:

http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-7-2016-02-13/
http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-8-2016-02-28/

{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »

Hi

We have started planning our game in team of three. Now I'm dividing storyline, mechanics and characters using Model Elements. I must say I like this tool every click I made.

I have a small idea:

- Is it possible to sort it by name? It would really help Smiley
- Export model elements to csv list

Best!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:09:30 PM by {VeTeR} » Logged

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 08:02:26 AM »

Hi

We have started planning our game in team of three. Now I'm dividing storyline, mechanics and characters using Model Elements. I must say I like this tool every click I made.

I have a small idea:

- Is it possible to sort it by name? It would really help Smiley
- Export model elements to csv list

Best!

Thanks for the suggestions!
-Yes, we can sort it by name. Anyway, we will provide customization for the element type values, you will be able to add values, remove the default ones you don't need, decide the order... Just like the categories.
-We will provide data export options, yes, and not just for the game model, but for the whole project.

{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »

Thats OSOM! I accually miss the 'Story' or 'Screenplay' element type and adding new values would fix my problem Smiley

karnikanay
TIGBaby

have fun making games

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »

Great!! Really good tool, I was actually looking for such a tool to specifically manage game projects, and I have found it. I have already registered, and going to try a small game developing project on it first. Will give suggestions and reviews afterwards. Thanks for taking the initiative. Smiley Smiley

the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »

Hey guys, we updated HacknPlan today!

There are some new interesting features, like filtering and sorting of tasks in the kanban board, some UX and performance improvements... Take a look at the details at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-9-2016-03-27/.

Cheers

randomThrowAway
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 05:15:17 AM »

It would be cool if every task in the board could lead to an (optional) sub board, instead of just having sub-tasks which aren't fun to use or can contain much info, really. Then you could have features like show progress for each task while on the main board as well. Or am I supposed to make tasks so granular in general, that I'm only having a few "in progress" ones at a time?

I guess I can simulate what I want by creating a Category for each biggish task? Doesn't seem intuitive, though.
{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

I just thought that it will be convenient to assign task in same window where I am creating it.
I have a list of tasks and people that I assign tasks to. Such option will reduce like 5 clicks per task.

Alternate Craig
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »

Really love what you are doing here! How will you guys "keep the lights on"?

Thanks! To make this project sustainable we will need to go for a freemium model, I think there is no other alternative for this kind of application. Ads are a no no for me when it comes to professional tools, so our approach will be keeping the core free and have premium add-ons, specially thought for scaling up (more user slots, more attachment space, advanced permissions and workflows, analytics...). Once we finish the beta phase and have all the core stuff in place we'll go for this, let's see how it goes :-)

That sounds like a wise choice.

Up till now I've been using Scrivener as my main tool for planning. Your's looks a bit like that without the annoying "Stand aside people I'm working with Words" part.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic