Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:05:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSome real world monetization experiences to share about my first Flash game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some real world monetization experiences to share about my first Flash game  (Read 4798 times)
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »

I wanted to share some hard data about my first foray into the world of the Flash game business.  I personally have found these posts by other developers to be REALLY helpful during my journey and wanted to take the time to share some of what I have learned over the past month:  I hope some may find it useful.  I would also be more than happy to answer any questions whether business or tech related to any other flash or would-be flash devs out there.  I will not include the game's name or any links because I want people to know this isn't an ad for me or my games. If you care or are curious I'm sure you can figure out how to find out more info about me or my game.  Tongue

So, my game has been out about 3 days now roaming about the internet. This is not only my first Flash game but also the first thing I have ever really released onto the internet as well so it has been a real interesting learning experience!

Distribution and Ad channel technology I used - MochiAds:

I decided to go with MochiAds to do my game distribution.  It is non-exclusive and free so I am also able to make other deals as well.  One of the main benefits they offer is that they "wrap" your Flash game in a preloader that contains customizable and controllable ads from their network.  So, the further your game spreads on the internet the better for them and you.  You get a percentage of the revenue from the "impressions" that the ads receive as people wait for your game to download.  I like that people have the ability to skip the ad by clicking the 'x' because let's face it- ads are annoying.  I also then think that let's face it, I have to eat too.

Another great free benefit that MochiAds provides you is that the preloader that wraps your Flash game is encrypted as well as version controlled.  This means that I can update my Flash game with bug fixes, new links, new ads or whatever I want in ONE location and that anyone playing the file (even if they have downloaded or are linking to a SWF somewhere on a portal) will receive a "diff" of the changes in the version.  All seamlessly while it downloads.  This is really incredible in my opinion.  It has been a joy to work with and I have made quite a few tweaks and changes to my game already and it is nice to see them being picked up by all the portals which have received a copy of my game.  The encryption is a nice benefit too I would guess though I don't know much about Flash obfuscation yet I just hear it slows down someone decompiling your code a little bit.

Along with the distribution channels your game is automatically placed in you receive a full stat report at your MochiAd dashboard page.  This is where you setup all the keywords, game thumbnail, description, instructions etc. that are distributed when a partner of MochiAds receives your game.  I have watched my game spreading to over 40 sites now all without me having to do any further work.  They do this because they benefit as well as the developer the further the game gets.  They also have a more detailed stat service through MochiBot which I also signed up for which provides further detail on people who saw more than the ad.  In other words, people who actually played your game.

The stats are a blast to watch!  Especially for someone who is a complete stat and number junkie like myself.

Other portals I have released my game on:

Kongregate:

Kongregate was the first portal I uploaded my game on myself.  The submit process was very easy and only involved a few steps.  You must have a Kongregate user account obviously but besides that it is really straightforward to get your game up there.  You fill out the form with info on your game, upload a thumbnail, check any of the API options you may be using, and also let them know whether your game is "exclusive" to the Kongregate site or not. Options like this one, along with the stats API question control how much your percentage of the ad revenue will be.

Since Kongregate has a deal with MochiAds already they will suppress the display of your ads in your MochiAds preloader.  The preloader download bar still works fine but no ads will display.  They do this for many reasons and it seems to make fair sense.

Anyway, back to the percentage points:  You get 25% of the ad revenue that your game receives just for uploading it to the site.  If you also integrate either (or both) of their APIs (HighScore and Statistics) you receive an additional 10% for this bringing your total possible to 35%.  Now, if you make your game exclusive to Kongregate you can receive a another 15% bonus bring the grand total to 50%.  A nice thing about the exclusive is that they do let you turn that off if you ever feel like putting your game elsewhere and you will revert back to the 25% or 35% share depending on your other options.

Once your game is uploaded and published it will show up on their new games list.  At this point it is up to the portal users to rate and view your game past a 'under judgement' period.  The judgement period is a timeframe where you can't view the rating of the game yet when you go to rate.  I guess the idea is that this helps early reviewers judge with less bias.  In actuality most early commenters during this phase like to post their ratings in the comment feed below the game.  Once your game has received 75 ratings the rating number is revealed to all.  If your game does well enough it will move through the rankings accordingly. My game’s rating seems to fluctuate around 3.25/5 stars over there. It is ranked around 240/3200 in the puzzle game category currently on their site too.As of this post date my game was played over 3500 times, rated over 450 times, favorited 17 times, and earned me 1 fan.  I am sharing this data to give context to the traffic and revenue stats I post down below

Newgrounds:

This is the only other portal I have submitted to so far.  Similar to Kongregate it followed a manual form submission process.  Once your game is up on the site it also undergoes a judgement mode where people have to vote and review it for it to acheive it's placement ranking.  The system is similar enough to Kongregate's that I won't go into great detail here.  They also offer an API but I haven't looked into that yet.  I am allowed to have my MochiAds viewed up there and they seem to get me a pretty good eCPM rate so far based on my MochiAd stats so that is good.

It seems my game faired a good deal better on Newgrounds than on Kongregate.  My game got 7 reviews: 6 perfect "10s" and 1 "9" for a review rating of 9.9.  The voting system seems to indicate that my game has a vote rating of around 3.5/5 stars with 298 votes received and over 1200 plays. I am sharing this data to give context to the traffic and revenue stats I post down below

The cool news was the first day I submitted it my game did well enough to get voted 6th Most Hottest Game for Monday!  That was pretty exciting.  I missed the coveted 1-5 spots that would have gotten my game even higher in views.  It was still on the front page though just didn't have the icon next to it. 

Traffic Stats and Ad Revenue so far:

So, I wanted to provide all the above data for context to what I will now share so that other developers can see how these stats relate to what distribution technology I used and where I have manually uploaded it.  I will detail the rough number of hosts my game has reached (remember only two of which I submitted to myself) along with traffic numbers, impressions received, and revenue received so far.  I do this because I have found it really helpful seeing the other Flash developers who have been transparent about this business space so that all may learn to be better.

Game Stats:  3 Days in the wild

Dates:  Feb 28, 2009  – Mar 02, 2009
Ad requests
Total: ~15000
Impressions: ~10000
Skips: ~5000
Revenue: $2.40
# of Hosts: 42
# of Countries: 101

% of Plays by Top 5 Countries:
39% from Finland   (this is crazy.. also almost half the leaderboard scores are from Finland too.)
20% from USA
7% from UK
4% from Canada
4% from Germany

I have also made about $3 dollars from my 3500 plays at Kongregate through their system.

So, while this game hasn't been a financial success yet at a whopping $6 of ad revenue so far the education that I have received and continue to receive is fairly priceless.  Also, ad revenue is more of a long tail approach as my game (and future games) spread through the internet.  I try to visualize a day where I may have 10-20 games roaming about each bringing me a couple bucks a day potentially.  Well, that ads up when these little critters can "work" 24/7.  Heck, who couldn't use an extra 10x $1 a day.. that's almost $4k a year when you think about it.  So, while $6 earned so far on 200 hours of work at least might initially discourage some- I believe that is a short-sighted reaction.  There is also the idea that while most of your games will end up relatively "unplayed" in the scheme of things- you only need 1 or 2 to really "blow up".  I think the more quality games you can release over time the better.

In order to work on a different angle to monetizing the Flash business space there is also the world of licenses and sponsorship to consider. I have signed up for an account over at FlashGameLicense which lets you sell licenses to released games and find sponsorships of various types for unreleased games that portals buy.  It allows bidding and reviewing and other matchmaking services to allow Flash developers to get a fair price for good work.  I am excited about the potential that FGL offers to do this kind of work fulltime.  I will be posting more experiences regarding those adventures in later posts hopefully! 

I also look forward to any other Flash developers who are trying to do this for a living who care to share their experiences here.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:24:06 PM by HybridMind » Logged

Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »

Thanks for sharing your numbers HybridMind. Good luck with the future adventures Smiley

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »

Thank you for sharing, especially the numbers as most people don't really release details like that. Thank you!

I like turtles.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »

The comments on 'how easy was it to work with these people' were also very interesting.  Thanks!

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:18:12 PM »

Thanks, HybridMind. It's great to see this information. Smiley
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »

By the way HybridMind, I couldn't help but noticing that your Flash game is an extension of your last Ludum Dare project. Kudos - I liked it then and I like it even more now.  Beer! But I'll keep the identity of your game secret.

For anyone who's interested in some more figures, here's my related one. Over at Ludum Dare I'm known as Hamburger, and I created a Flash game of my own for the last mini LD compo--the one where you create your own Cryptid. I also dumped a copy of mine on Kongregate--the raw version from the compo, though, not an improved version like yours--and I think I've made roughly 2 smackeroos so far. Per my calculations, that's a dollar per day of development. Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »

Cray, Snakey, Lynx, David: I'm glad you found this helpful, thanks for letting me know!

Re: David - Hey, glad you enjoyed the new version of my LD entry, thanks.  I do remember your draw a cryptid game!  I really liked that one.  Very fun to combine art and madlibs.   Smiley  Interesting that you put it up on Kongregate.  I'll have to go see what the bizarre portal users thought in the comments..  Durr...? 

I've been cracked up by the various responses you see depending on the communities that surround these various portals out there.  Actually, Kong and NG have gone a lot better comment-wise then I thought they would.  Generally it seems like the quality of comment-thought is quite low on portals..with most generally just getting a lot of "lol 1st post" kinda stuff unfortunately rather than any constructive feedback.  I think I received a few constructive feedbacks on NG and some on Kong. 

I'm also getting some worthwhile feedback from Flash Game License's game area where you can actually see how long sponsors and developers viewed your game for, who they were (what portal they were from) and any feedback they may have left.  I figure I'll be doing another informational post to share my experiences with FGL as far as how it works out or what I learn in case others haven't taken that plunge yet and maybe want a "user story" about how it goes. 

Brief stats update to orig post above: (4 days "in wild" total)

~27000 plays tracked by mochi, ~19000 impressions = $6 earned  (you need to make $100 minimum before they will cut you a check/paypal but that is over all your games etc.)

~4000 views on Kong = ~$3 so far (on Kong you need $25 min before they pay)
$9 grand total.

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »

I figure I'll be doing another informational post to share my experiences with FGL as far as how it works out or what I learn in case others haven't taken that plunge yet and maybe want a "user story" about how it goes.

Please do.  This post itself was already extremely informative, thanks.
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:19 PM »

I've had about the same experience releasing Dream Hoppin', HybridMind. Our numbers for plays and income look to be pretty similar.

I stacked all my traffic on Kongregate, however - it's the official "play" link on my site and the one I spread around.

The payback rate seemed to be much better on Kongregate than on the MochiAds that ran on random sites that picked up the game. And I'm doing it with the minimum revenue sharing - 25%. If I decide to pool my efforts toward Kongregate again, I'm definitely going to implement their API and give the week exclusivity to raise that.

The plan for my next game is to seek sponsorship, but who knows how much luck I'll have with that. If I can't get one I'll probably go all out on Kongregate for the 50% revenue share. In the meantime I am trying to keep the same long-term strategy. I need to raise my profile as a Flash developer - by making good games - before I should expect people to notice, but when they do, I think all my games will get a boost.

But right now, I am making real money directly off of a game I made, and even if it's not a lot, at this point that's pretty cool.

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »

Thx TheBlackMask, good to know you found it informative.

CoolMoose,  thanks for sharing some of your thoughts and data data as well.  One note about the Kong API with MochiAds preloader (since I think your game was using that but maybe I'm wrong...) there seems there is some kind of incompatibility that I have not been able to resolve.  I have posted for help on like 4 different but relevant forums and still no one has been able to help.  I am sure a lot is I'm too new to Flash but I even got a response back from BenV (a dev at Kong) and he wasn't sure whether it would work or not either.

I killed about two days (not solid but wasted a lot of hours uploading version after version through my mochi svn account) trying all sorts of methods to get the two to play nice.  Never did get it working and needed to move on. Sad

I too was pondering the Kong exclusive etc.  I think my next plans are to learn AS3 and then try and get some experience with the sponsorship route for the next game.  Good luck to you as well!

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »

I killed about two days (not solid but wasted a lot of hours uploading version after version through my mochi svn account) trying all sorts of methods to get the two to play nice.  Never did get it working and needed to move on. Sad

I thought Kong had a deal with Mochi that suppresses any MochiAds.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »

I thought Kong had a deal with Mochi that suppresses any MochiAds.

They do.  What it boils down to in practice is that you can still use MochiAds preloader with all the benefits of the version control distribution platform and the encryption but if your game is on Kongregate the only difference is that players won't see an ad during your games download.  You will still see the preloader progress bar just no ad above it.  Did that answer your question?

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »

Ah, I see.  That makes so much more sense, thanks!
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »

One note about the Kong API with MochiAds preloader (since I think your game was using that but maybe I'm wrong...) there seems there is some kind of incompatibility that I have not been able to resolve.

I have had this problem to.  Upload the game without mochiads version control the kong api works fine, but with it bam nothing gets through.  I can not figure it out.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »

One note about the Kong API with MochiAds preloader (since I think your game was using that but maybe I'm wrong...) there seems there is some kind of incompatibility that I have not been able to resolve.

I have had this problem to.  Upload the game without mochiads version control the kong api works fine, but with it bam nothing gets through.  I can not figure it out.

Dustin,

I heard back yesterday from the MochiAds support forums that this is a known issue that plenty of others have had apparently.  So, I guess the word is that an AS2 game will NOT work with the MochiAds encrypted preloader (Which is AS3).

Other devs in the Mochi forums reported back that Kong API DOES work great with AS3 games.  I'm learning AS3 now in an order to push on to something more current and also looking forward to better interoperability with a lot of the portal APIs out there.  Apparently that preloader can cause mischief elsewhere than just Kong.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 04:36:27 PM »

Hm, that's interesting my code is all AS3.  Although this was a while ago (10 weeks?) so maybe someone fixed it for AS3, hopefully it does for my next game. Smiley
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »

Hm, that's interesting my code is all AS3.  Although this was a while ago (10 weeks?) so maybe someone fixed it for AS3, hopefully it does for my next game. Smiley

I have finally verified personally with my latest Flash game that Mochi encrypted preloader will work with the Kongregate API on AS3.  You have to follow the guidelines of the following post about how to load the Kong API at runtime in order for it to work though!   The exact same idea applies in order to integrate with the MindJolt as3 API too.  I basically took the code from the link above, studied it to see how it was doing the loading from stage and modified the MindJolt example code (from their developer site) accordingly.  Feel free to ask me for more specifics if you can't get it yourself I'm just short on time.  The link above though told me all I needed to know to get it working though so I wanted to share this here even if the thread is a little old.

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

Hey, thought I would jump in and share some more hard data from my flash game experience (and thanks, HybridMind, found the post very interesting):

This week I got my very first $25 payment from Kongregate, after releasing 5 games on the site. Here's a breakdown of the numbers:

• Brick Invaders; plays: 1,459, impressions: 2,245, share: 35%, net earnings: $1.53
  • Kingdom of Machines; plays: 12,308, impressions: 15,253, share: 31%, net earnings: $9.91
  • Smear; plays: 9,100, impressions: 11,180, share: 31%, net earnings: $6.15
  • Postal Panic; plays: 9,438, impressions: 11,540, share: 30%, net earnings: $7.14
  • Gravitat; plays: 1,445, impressions: 1,986, share: 25%, net earnings: $1.66

The only game I've used Mochiads on is Smear, which has earned a grand total of $1.56.

On the other hand, here's the stats for the two games I've had sponsored:

• Postal Panic; sponsor: Crazy Monkey Games, time spent in negotiation: 2 months (painful), cash: $3000
  • Gravitat; sponsor: Armor Games, time spent in negotiation: 2 weeks, cash: $1600

Sooo... sposorship is good if you can get it! (though ads may be better if you really push them on a game that's actually good... the one game that I tried only ads on (Smear) wasn't very good, so is probably not a great sigifier of how much one can earn from integrated ads.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic