Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:02:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame recommendations thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Game recommendations thread  (Read 9666 times)
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »

Machinarium and Botanicula had alot of hidden objects.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2015, 02:40:33 AM »

btw is the game "lisa" any good? (talking about this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/335670/)

i have very mixed feelings from what ive seen. on the one hand it looks interesting, otoh theres a distinct whiff of edgelord bullshit about it and taglines like "a life ruining gaming experience" don't inspire confidence. does it just rely on "disturbing" imagery or is there more to it? oh also how much "disturbing" sexual imagery does it use, bc im squeamish about that stuff.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:46:28 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2015, 04:31:39 AM »

Players will learn what kind of person they are by being FORCED to make choices. These choices permanently effect the game play. If you want to save a party member from death, you will have to sacrifice the strength of your character. Whether it's taking a beating for them, or chopping off limbs, or some other inhuman way. You will learn that in this world being selfish and heartless is the only way to survive...

Well, if with "this world" you mean "an artificial scenario completely controlled by the creators of this game", then yes.

Sounds like a lot of male self-pitying confirmation bias.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »

i decided to pass it up (it was on sale on steam)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »

I saw it for sale and decided to go ahead and pick it up after i watched a couple of videos in the community section of steam (Steam reviews are helpful, but I find browsing the Community section is even better - what people make guides on and talk about helps a lot). I'll write something up in the Watchoo Playin' thread after I play it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »

cool, looking forward to it   Smiley
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2015, 06:09:09 AM »

can anyone recommend some good procedurally generated platformers..
Spelunky

Other than spelunky..

Rogue Legacy? It's a dungeon crawler platformer.

Vagante maybe?  He had a devlog here.

gonna check these two

Click the Gentrieve in my siggy? Smiley
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:35:16 AM by baconman » Logged

atdagate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2015, 03:12:50 AM »

Recommend me plz? :D
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »

I very rarely play any mobile games but every now and then I see one that piques my interest because of a kick ass art style, or it looks like it leverages the device in an interesting way. DEVICE 6 is pretty incredible. I loved Hitman GO, it understood more what a Hitman game is than Absolution did. And the new Hitman Sniper is pretty rad too. I have a soft spot for Mr. AahH, Doodle Jump, and Wolf RPG. Minigore is neat too. And Fallout Shelter is pretty good for that type of game, I never felt the need to buy any in-app stuff and it never got dull waiting around for stuff to happen.
I really like a lot of the Donut Games games as well. Action Hero is probably my favorite of theirs.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2015, 11:17:18 PM »

Out There is fantastic and just about the only mobile game I play. Exploration roguelike - think FTL without combat.
Hoplite is another amazing roguelike for mobile. A randomized dungeon crawler that works quite well for being on a touch screen.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »

merged with recommendations thread

anyway, here are some of my current mobile faves:

Out There
King of Dragon Pass (masterpiece)
You Must Build a Boat
Pixel Dungeon (best mobile roguelike)
The Executive
Biz Builder Deluxe (and p much anything else by Kairosoft)
Hearthstone
Dream Quest (don't be put off by the graphics, this game seriously owns)
Fallout Shelter
Puzzle & Dragons
868-HACK (personally prefer this over Hoplite, but Hoplite is also good)
Xenowerk
XCOM Enemy Within
Tap Titans

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »

we have really similar taste in ios games. i'll super second dream quest and 868.

things i would add to that list of my own:
disc drivin'
ascension
auro
bean dreams
skiing yeti safari
ball king
spike dislike 2/3
kero blaster
desert golfing
drop7
honeycomb hotel
space miner
super stickman golf 2

yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2015, 01:02:36 PM »

Is there a game like Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey that anyone can recommend? I'm familiar with the EO series, Dark Spire, and the old Wizardry-likes. Ideally would like to avoid anything cutesy but at this point am flexible. Mostly I want depth to the grind - Dark Spire failed that test and EO typically gets a C- to B- there, if any of that makes sense.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »

the elminage games are pretty good wizardry clones i think. legend of grimrock is not a wizardry clone but a dungeon master clone (that means combat is real time) that is also very nice, mostly grind free and pretty puzzle heavy. barony is ultima underworld + roguelike and is also very good. it's similar to delver but barony is the deeper game. unfortunately it lacks real verticality but that's ok.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:23:17 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »

Oh, hadn't heard of Barony... yeah, this looks neat. That's worth two cups of coffee Smiley
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »

Is there a game like Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey that anyone can recommend? I'm familiar with the EO series, Dark Spire, and the old Wizardry-likes. Ideally would like to avoid anything cutesy but at this point am flexible. Mostly I want depth to the grind - Dark Spire failed that test and EO typically gets a C- to B- there, if any of that makes sense.

Have you played SMT: Nocturne or the Digital Devil Saga games on the PS2?

There's also Soul Hackers on the 3DS. SNES SMTs are cool ut hard to get into.

yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »

Thank you for the recommendations!

I played the early SNES SMTs, but have not played Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga... don't have a PS2 anymore. I suppose nowadays there are creative ways of approximating one. I will give it a shot!

Elminage, not so sure. Have you played? Reviews seem to be pretty mixed from self-avowed dungeon crawlers. I'm up for a traditional dungeon crawl, very much so, but I'm not in it for the sheer pleasure of hitting X. I liked the strange ingenuity of the Wizardry series.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor:_The_Depths_of_Dejenol is a thing I remember liking but I have no idea where to actually buy it. I THINK it might be on GamersGate somewhere?

Nocturne and DDS1/2 sort of have their difficulty overstated, but they're very not something you can just mash X to win to get through.

Also Daisoujou is OP.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »

Oops yeah if you didnt like the dark spire you will probably not like elminage. Its just a good wizardry clone, nothing really special about it

oh also you could try king's field. the japanese kf1 is crap but the other 3 are good. 4 has aged the best. only if youre into slow deliberate exploration tho and don't mind awkward combat mechanics. think of them as a 1st person la mulana with somewhat less obscure puzzles i guess?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:52:19 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »

I reckon Shadow Tower and ST: Abyss are better than the King's Field games. ST1 in particular can be a total pain in the ass though -- not quite souls levels of HAHA FUCK YOU, but it's hard and you have limited resources and you can make your save unwinnable if you're not careful. Once you get how the resource management works though it's not too bad. But strictly speaking I THINK that large swaths of the game are optional if you can't figure out how to do them, but be advised going into it.

The resource management stuff in ST1 is neat, though. Weapons have durability. You can fix them a little with limited-use items that enemies drop. You can also get them repaired at blacksmiths, who charge you in HP to fix them. And then HP is only restored with healing potions, which you can find, buy with the very, very limited amounts of money you get in the game, or more frequently, buy with old weapons/armor you no longer need.

I really like ST but I quit playing it cause it started giving me fucked up dreams.

STA feels really smooth and it's considerably more forgiving from what I saw.

Also, fwiw, I remember that King's Field 2 (King's Field 1 US) gets a much better framerate on ePSXe than on hardware.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic