Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:02:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame recommendations thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Game recommendations thread  (Read 9667 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »

kf4 is better than any shadow towers  Noir
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »

oh also you could try king's field. the japanese kf1 is crap but the other 3 are good. 4 has aged the best. only if youre into slow deliberate exploration tho and don't mind awkward combat mechanics.
Slow and awkward nothing, it's like your controlling someone who is suffering from mesothelioma.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »

that's the MAGIC
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »

The slow movement seems weird at first but it turns into a valid gameplay mechanic because of how your weapon range and windup times work, and also how you need to circle strafe enemies that you're just BARELY fast enough to get arounf.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »

Running about isn't that bad but the gradual turning speed combined with having to take a break in the oxygen tent inbetween casual strokes with my sword gave me plenty of time to contemplate why I should bother continuing. I could be playing something else like Arx Fatalis which is chalk and cheeses but is something that I'm more accustomed to.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »

arx fatalis is not as atmospheric as kf (imo). exploration in it is also much simpler.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2015, 02:58:24 AM »

Yeah the draw distance is further (burn).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2015, 03:53:56 AM »

kf4 doesnt have any draw distance problems (no burn)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2015, 05:03:31 AM »

I like Arx Fatalis, I really dig the spell drawing stuff  Smiley
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor:_The_Depths_of_Dejenol is a thing I remember liking but I have no idea where to actually buy it. I THINK it might be on GamersGate somewhere?

Haha, I loved those games. Talk about a throwback.

Anyway I am sensing some serious emotional energy being poured into the king's field series. I also remember playing KF2 (I guess KF in the USA) and dealing with a lot of shenanigans related to exploiting the really goddamn weird movement system. Is KF4 the one to try, if you're going to try one?
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor:_The_Depths_of_Dejenol is a thing I remember liking but I have no idea where to actually buy it. I THINK it might be on GamersGate somewhere?

Haha, I loved those games. Talk about a throwback.

Anyway I am sensing some serious emotional energy being poured into the king's field series. I also remember playing KF2 (I guess KF in the USA) and dealing with a lot of shenanigans related to exploiting the really goddamn weird movement system. Is KF4 the one to try, if you're going to try one?

I felt like 6 was the best KF by a /long/ shot.

Skopgat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:36 PM »

Loved playing Arx Fatalis! Never really played KF, might give them a try
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2015, 02:09:58 AM »

OK so I'm curious if there's a good modern racing game that fulfills the following criteria

1. Arcade style, i.e. no "realistic" driving physics or controls.

2. No "career mode" or "story mode". Or if it does have one, it needs to be totally optional. I don't want extensive customization or upgrades either, I just want plain old racing.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2015, 03:31:14 AM »

I totally want to say Test Drive Unlimited but that's got a whole bunch of shit in there that isn't racing. It's probably gonna be the closest thing to what you want though.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2015, 03:57:38 AM »

test drive unlimited looks cool, will check that out. which of the two is better?

Oh btw, it doesn't have to be a car racing game. I'm totally fine with hover gliders, jet skis, boats, snowboards, you name it.

It's so annoying how every racing game tries to be some sort of arr pee gee these days.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2015, 04:21:58 AM »

I haven't played the second one but the grapevine says that it's got too much bullshit getting in the way of the racing. So it's the first game or bust.

TDU is a great game for relaxing, you just drive around finding spots to take screenshots then when you're bored you go and do some delivery missions to get stacks of cash to buy a house which you then start filling with fast cars which you then use to blitz all of the races to get more money for even faster cars. You can also race motos but taking one of those as far as down the street will probably scare you off them for life. You can choose your wheels and your interior/exterior colours when you buy a car then there's after market packs that boost performance and that's all the customisation you're allowed. You can also be a chauffeur and earn special money to buy clothes which I never bothered with. You can also have a squiz at the inside of every car, drool over the dash and work the windows which is kind of therapeutic (but not the wipers which is criminal).

It's also really odd that the game is perpetually day lit, there is no night driving at all. Even stranger is that all of the NPCs are the same person. This is what I imagine hell is like. Oh well, it's fun to ram squad cars and street race against coppers so maybe it's more like being stuck in purgatory.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2015, 04:25:45 AM »

OK so I'm curious if there's a good modern racing game that fulfills the following criteria

1. Arcade style, i.e. no "realistic" driving physics or controls.

2. No "career mode" or "story mode". Or if it does have one, it needs to be totally optional. I don't want extensive customization or upgrades either, I just want plain old racing.

There's Burnout Paradise. It has a career mode, but... basically this just means that the more races you do, the more "unique cars" spawn and then you can kill them and collect them. I don't think the missions are locked.

The game is kind of annoying until you figure out the map a bit, then it gets really fun.

Or you could just get Outrun 2006. You should probably do this anyway.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2015, 04:30:06 AM »

I haven't played the second one but the grapevine says that it's got too much bullshit getting in the way of the racing. So it's the first game or bust.

TDU is a great game for relaxing, you just drive around finding spots to take screenshots then when you're bored you go and do some delivery missions to get stacks of cash to buy a house which you then start filling with fast cars which you then use to blitz all of the races to get more money for even faster cars. You can also race motos but taking one of those as far as down the street will probably scare you off them for life. You can choose your wheels and your interior/exterior colours when you buy a car then there's after market packs that boost performance and that's all the customisation you're allowed. You can also be a chauffeur and earn special money to buy clothes which I never bothered with. You can also have a squiz at the inside of every car, drool over the dash and work the windows which is kind of therapeutic (but not the wipers which is criminal).

It's also really odd that the game is perpetually day lit, there is no night driving at all. Even stranger is that all of the NPCs are the same person. This is what I imagine hell is like. Oh well, it's fun to ram squad cars and street race against coppers so maybe it's more like being stuck in purgatory.

oh so it's the first mad max in game form

@mesh: oops i keep forgetting about outrun 2006. i wanna get burnout paradise but i keep i hearing it's worse than the older games which i havent played either

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2015, 04:38:09 AM »

Without having played the older ones, I heard that burnout mode -- or whatever it is where you orchestrate ridiculous crashes for MAD POINTS -- was worse than in the older games but the direction as otherwise really different.

Also like I said it's kind of annoying as hell until you put some time into it and get a feel for the map so it probably leaves a really bad first impression.

Also I'm assuming the console version can shortcircuit EA's dumb "HEY JOIN US" intro screen, although the PC version let's you get rid of the Guns n Roses music if you, like me, can't stomach Axl Rose's voice for any period of time (the game also comes with the soundtracks from all the older Burnouts, they're just off by default, which is lame because they're better than the buttrock that's on by default).

-- edit --

re: I need to get Burnout 3 >:TTTT

Also Outrun 2006 is like the ASMR video equivalent of an arcade racer. It's easyish and super-relaxing which is part of why it's so fun. Just... cruisin' through beautiful areas, largely sideways 'cause the drift mechanics, listening to tropical 80s music...

Awww yisss.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:40:38 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2015, 04:41:36 AM »

It's hard to recommend the PS2 releases of TDU over the PC and XBob 360 ones since they got really silly with cutting content (no manual transmission, u wot mate?) but it does have one advantage over the other platforms which is club races that are really fun and get you exclusive cars. This is important information that I just remembered.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic