Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:11:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame recommendations thread
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Author Topic: Game recommendations thread  (Read 9671 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »

merged with existing thread
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »

super mario bros: lost levels

he said hard but FAIR

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »

you dhould play transformers devastation, and arthur lee's upcoming wondergam: Wasted
Dragonmaw
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »

transformers devastation sure is platinum but diablo
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2016, 02:15:17 AM »

So I've gifted myself the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Context: I skipped out on the Wii, so I only played the first two games before, and that was a loooong time ago.

Goddamn, do these games hold up well. But the thing is, the scanning and exploring is the most fun bit for me. Ever since I read the following article the constant killing of small local animals and plants feels kind of... odd:

A Maze of Murderscapes: Metroid II
The mention of genocide brings us to one of Metroid II’s themes: controlled extinction. 

Playing as a cold, lonely figure, you comb through the ruins of a long-dead avian species and kill in ecoscapes evoking claustrophobia and agoraphobia.  It would be dishonest to overlook that Metroid II is about the genocide of the metroids, an extraterrestrial species that is already nearly extinct.  The game’s premise of systematic extermination cannot be denied, yet Metroid II turns out to be an anti-genocide game where the initial goal is to commit fantasy genocide against goofy-cute science-fiction creatures.
(...) Imagine a game where Samus’ goal is less about killing and more about exploration. She befriends the fauna and they help one another. Regardless of the designers’ intent, Metroid II ends on a promising note that implies murder mazes aren’t the future of videogames. Regrettably, the bulk of the game is still a maze where Samus does her murderscaping.
This sentence made me realize that the game Waking Mars is essentially Metroid without the murder. Quite the opposite in fact: you are bringing an ecosystem back to life, like this article mentioned.

http://www.tigerstylegames.com/wakingmars/

So does anyone know other games kind of like this? Not just exploration (there's plenty of violence-free exploration games) but exploration and nurturing interaction with the environment?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2016, 04:10:31 AM »

transformers devastation sure is platinum but diablo
its the only non-arthur lee game ive played since 2012, which is the highest badge of honour a game can earn
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »

So I've gifted myself the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Context: I skipped out on the Wii, so I only played the first two games before, and that was a loooong time ago.

Goddamn, do these games hold up well. But the thing is, the scanning and exploring is the most fun bit for me. Ever since I read the following article the constant killing of small local animals and plants feels kind of... odd:

A Maze of Murderscapes: Metroid II
The mention of genocide brings us to one of Metroid II’s themes: controlled extinction. 

Playing as a cold, lonely figure, you comb through the ruins of a long-dead avian species and kill in ecoscapes evoking claustrophobia and agoraphobia.  It would be dishonest to overlook that Metroid II is about the genocide of the metroids, an extraterrestrial species that is already nearly extinct.  The game’s premise of systematic extermination cannot be denied, yet Metroid II turns out to be an anti-genocide game where the initial goal is to commit fantasy genocide against goofy-cute science-fiction creatures.
(...) Imagine a game where Samus’ goal is less about killing and more about exploration. She befriends the fauna and they help one another. Regardless of the designers’ intent, Metroid II ends on a promising note that implies murder mazes aren’t the future of videogames. Regrettably, the bulk of the game is still a maze where Samus does her murderscaping.
This sentence made me realize that the game Waking Mars is essentially Metroid without the murder. Quite the opposite in fact: you are bringing an ecosystem back to life, like this article mentioned.

http://www.tigerstylegames.com/wakingmars/

So does anyone know other games kind of like this? Not just exploration (there's plenty of violence-free exploration games) but exploration and nurturing interaction with the environment?

Maybe Earthtongue?  I'm not sure how large that world is for exploration, though; it's still in my backlog.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »

Oh that looks nice, thanks!
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »

I'm hoping to find some quality indie adventure/RPG/exploration type games. These seem pretty rare, but I know at least a few exist... My short list of games that fall into this category:

• Legend of Grimrock 2
  • The Real Texas
  • Anodyne (kinda; haven't played enough yet to know if it's what I'm after)
  • Ultima V (old and not exactly indie, but exactly the sort of thing I want)
  • The Witness would fit weirdly really well, if it had combat instead of puzzles

Basically, I want a crafted world to wander around and explore, probably with some loose overarching quest structure. Balancing character stats and upgrades is fun. Quirkiness is a plus. Characters to talk to would be nice. Game doesn't have to be new. Fantasy setting of some sort is preferred; sci-fi usually isn't my sort of thing.

Anything at all that fits that description?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »

i can't think of many indie ones so ill just list some games regardless of indie status

La Mulana, Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld, King's Field, Baldur's Gate, Divinity Original Sin, Lords of Xulima, Darklands, Morrowind (or any other elder scrolls, but morrowind has the coolest world), Dark Souls (kinda), Xenoblade.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »

I wish there was a mod for the Ultima Underworld games so the mouse interface would be more modern, but everything else stayed the same.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »

i wouldn't be surprised if there already was. there was one for system shock, which runs on the same engine

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »

the mouselook mod for system shock actually makes the game ridiculously easy because enemy speed and behavior and etc is balanced around the clunkier, older control scheme. i ended up deactivating it bc it felt like cheating.

also did u know that theres an official system shock remake in the works?
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »

Well I'd play it for the story anyway, don't have time for truly challenging games Wink
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 12, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

Is the hype around Stardew Valley real? Do I want this gam? Please advise.

PS I like Harvest Moon.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2016, 01:01:24 PM »

EarthBound is on the 3DS Eshop now, should I buy it? I've never played it before and barely know what it's about.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »

if u like undertale u owe it to yourself to play earthbound.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic