Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:22:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNightpearl a jrpg in 64x64pixels
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Nightpearl a jrpg in 64x64pixels  (Read 10361 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »

I thought I posted on this but must have forgot to. The art is amazing! Such great cartoony detail in a small space Smiley

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »

Love seeing how much you can pack in such a tiny space. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling like the days of chrono trigger.

puudelimorso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

Loving the pixelart and the dialogue boxes! Nice job!
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »

This looks amazing Smiley

What platforms are you targeting? I just got (yesterday) my Pebble Time Steel, and I think this game would be awesome on it! Though you'll have to adapt it to the very limited controls Wink

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! It's very encouraging to see as we chug along. Regarding the small font, I'm going to leave that to Christina!

However, I can talk about:
This looks amazing Smiley

What platforms are you targeting? I just got (yesterday) my Pebble Time Steel, and I think this game would be awesome on it! Though you'll have to adapt it to the very limited controls Wink

I think a platform like this would be very fun! The issue is that the game may have a lot of control/action outside of battle, so the controls may not be fitting. If this project works out, I can definitely see another, smaller, tiny resolution game in the future where we may deploy to a watch or a similar small screen.

We want to make the game only limited in resolution, color and pixel purity. Other than that, not much else. We can get as complicated or advanced as we like, so we'd like to capitalize on that as long as it makes sense for gameplay. I'll be writing up some more... complicated technical pieces soon, too, to show these obstacles in-depth.
castpixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »

Thanks everyone for the great comments and warm reception. To be honest, I think this game is against all current markets, and it may even be that the tiny size would have made it unattractive even in the days of limited resolutions (there has never been a 64x64 device, and even PICO-8 wisely picked their size to be 128x128). So it's very encouraging to see people aren't laughing at us right from the bat, even though we'd still be making the game if they did.

About a year ago I spent a while trying to find the perfect 3x3 G, and while I discovered such a thing isn't really possible*

*they all look like other letters, or like weird gibberish

I have here my personal favourite, for your consideration.

@Drogen , this is awesome!!!!! And I totally see some solid theory behind it, much like the cut off "#" we use in the 5x4 font. We're using this, thank you so much <3

danespacey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 09:58:58 AM »

Shit guys this is awesome! Some of my best memories of gaming are playing my gameboy when I was a kid, and this just reminds me of those times! If you want some tunes for it let me know! I actually really like how the vision area is so small, I think it adds to the immersion of the game as you have to pay more attention. Also just stylistically it look amazing. I really can't say enough nice things. What platforms are you planning to release this for?
Ariedhan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »

Wow Amazing stuff!

This style brings back so many memories and however you two made the style to talk with your voice. I like the story of how both of you got together, that's indie spirit 100%! You now need to find someone who does the 8-bit sounds and music and you are good to go! Smiley

I will be following this. Keep up the good work  Beer!

Game Designer in Tibi Games
Working on:
Sarani
castpixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »

oh yeah, I'll be composing the music for this. Deflemask and/or a mod tracker is being considered.

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »

Added on-the-fly palette swapping, so we can change our tones when the mood strikes...
Noyemi K
Level 0

[ * ] - we are all so hapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »

Not usually one for gameboy throwbacks (or other low-res stuff... yeah, ironic as I'm a pixel artist, right?) but this looks like some incredible fun!  Grin
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 02:09:54 AM »

Concept and execution are spot on.....it just looks too cute  Kiss
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:30:55 AM by ZeroTec » Logged

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 04:20:26 AM »

What about using a mid-grey in the font, like this set I did some time ago:
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 05:31:30 AM »

@Drogen , this is awesome!!!!! And I totally see some solid theory behind it, much like the cut off "#" we use in the 5x4 font. We're using this, thank you so much <3

yayy! no problem & also i just noticed the fonts in the first post! really clever offering different text sizes!

(btw sorry for the large images in my last post! i blame puush)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:47:04 PM by Droqen » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »

Lord, this game is wonderful on soooo many levels. Almost wish you could print it out on a gameboy cartridge and let me relive the good ol' days.

Subbing! Shoot, might as well. I can ever turn a blind eye whenever this thread updates.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »

Love this! Great beginning (real life) story too!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
castpixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2015, 01:49:21 AM »

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

What about using a mid-grey in the font, like this set I did some time ago:

Thank you! Αntialiasing is a technique I've mostly given up. Especially at these tiny sizes. It doesn't help readability, and is in fact a form of banding (aka the nemesis of pixelart). Lovely effort though, at 100%

And here's a full 8 direction runcycle for the main character, Cod.

and an 8 direction turnaround:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:10:07 AM by castpixel » Logged

aldiansolkai
Level 0

Hi!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »

Woohoo! I remember having a conversation with you on Twitter where you said it was probably not gonna be a thing, so I'm excited to see it's actually being made! :D

Best of luck, I'm really hyped for it!

22. Gamedev and pixelart. Computer Science Student || Hit me up for any sort of collab! Is there a character limit on this descri
Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »

SO much work has gone into preserving the quality and sanctity of literally -every- pixel placed.

Pixel art is something I've always known, but probably not something I've truly appreciated until now. One pixel can mean the word of difference when doing adjustments in speeds, a face, a number.

Christina has done some truly outstanding work here.
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2015, 12:36:02 AM »

I have nothing new to add to what's been already said, seems really cool Smiley Posting to follow.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic