Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:15:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsImmortal Redneck - Old-School FPS + Roguelite + Egypt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Immortal Redneck - Old-School FPS + Roguelite + Egypt  (Read 26123 times)
YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 05:17:50 AM »

very cool!

Thanks! We are huge fans of Heavy Bullets in the studio, btw :D

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »

very cool!

Thanks! We are huge fans of Heavy Bullets in the studio, btw :D

awesome! looking forward to playing this, I feel like there is tons to do with the FPS/RL genre still

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »

Looks great!!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »

Friday! New devlog! This one is goddamn cool because it's about really technical stuff and such, and more precisely, about how we create our randomly generated levels.

First thing: we mean levels, not individual rooms. Like The Binding of Isaac and other games, our rooms are not randomly created, they are designed by our team, but the way they are placed on the map each time you play the game is random.

That said, let's talk about algorithms!

BSP it’s not for us

We tried using Binary Space Partitioning, or BSP. It was great at first and we could fit our rooms into the random spaces it generated, but there was a problem: connecting them. Initially, this method required us to design corridors between each room and that’s something we didn’t like much, so we started dividing each space more efficiently.

We got rid of the corridors thanks to this, but another problem appeared: the more room sizes we inserted, the more unused spaces appeared. This was just a geometry problem: if we had one space with a certain size to divided in and three room to insert into it, placing one of them would determine the others two.

At the end, BSP was a pain in the ass and the layout were not good enough for us, so we dumped all of this and tried something different.

A new, better algorithm

We tried another algorithm, obviously.

Given an initial room with ‘x’ number of doors, this new level generation algorithm would connect those doors to new ones that are randomly chosen from new rooms. And within each new ‘generation’ of rooms, we would take the new doors and repeat the process until the floor was filled. This left some unused spaced, but nothing really problematic.

It was a rather easy process and we loved it because we were able to create great, random maps without corridors. Unfortunately, as always, we had a problem: each map had very fixed courses. For instance, in an ‘initial’ room with four doors, you would go only north, south, east or west. And once you went all the way in one direction, you would have to backtrack and take another course.

That's when we thought: ‘hey, why don’t we automatically connect the doors on those rooms that are really near?’ Didn't work out. Instead, we changed how the rooms were placed by testing the connections with other rooms before placing a new one.

This way, the algorithm always has a list of doors to connect and will test a few new rooms for each one of those. Since each room can be connected through a lot of doors, the algorithm would randomly choose some of them to evaluate how well they would connect with the previous generation. When it has the best room with the best position with the most connection with previous rooms, it place it.

Each time a new room is placed, its doors are included in that list of doors to connect and the algorithm keeps going and going until it fills all the given space. Yes, this would have a exponential impact on performance, but we solved this issues and now it doesn’t take that much processing time.

Now, enjoy some examples of randomly generated maps! We made some isometric ones because the looked really cool!

A gif of the map generation. This is the algorithm when it didn't connect the rooms properly and there was a lot of backtracking.

This is the final algorithm working. Rooms connect properly, there are a lot of paths to follow and the layour is great.

More layout tests

Isometric view! Looks like and old spectrum game :__)

Now, two examples of the room generation with lighting and stuff. Didn't insert them as gif because they were really heavy. Oh, and this rooms are a little more repetitive because we only have four final rooms yet Shrug

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:42:14 AM by YaW » Logged

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:22 AM »

I love those generation gifs, and videos, very cool indeed! How many unique rooms do you think you'll need to create to get a good sense of variation, and stop the locations seeming repetitive?

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 08:25:04 AM »

I love those generation gifs, and videos, very cool indeed! How many unique rooms do you think you'll need to create to get a good sense of variation, and stop the locations seeming repetitive?

I can't give you a exact number right now, but a lot! I mean, not only we are making different shaped rooms, but also different materials, floors, rocks, bricks, lighting... There will be a lot of possible combinations to make.

brantkings
Level 0

I like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2015, 09:22:19 AM »

Dude!  Who, Me? this game looks incredibly fun! I got attached by the art style, but the generation algorithm too!

Congratulations to you people! Following.

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2015, 02:55:07 AM »

Dude!  Who, Me? this game looks incredibly fun! I got attached by the art style, but the generation algorithm too!

Congratulations to you people! Following.

Thanks a lot, man! It was hard to nail what we exactly wanted, but our programmer is da shit, haha.

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »

New devlog! New enemy! Yay!

The Archer

Our archer is an anthropomorphic creature with a strange helmet that hides his face and make us wonder what’s behind it. Or maybe the helmet actually is his head, we don’t really know. I asked one of our 2D artists about it and he just gave my this look.

Anyway: it's a ranged damage, course predictive, agile and coward – because hit runs away when you are close to it – enemy.

As the Warrior, the Archer is taller than the Redneck. Our wacky fellow is about 1,8 meters tall, but the Archer is more than 2 meters tall. That’s about 5,9 feet versus 7,8. Obviously, since the Archer attacks from a distance, it looks a little smaller than he really is.

How we made the Archer

The Archer walks around searching for you until either he either sees you or you hit him. When one of this two things happen, he enters ‘attack mode’ and shoots arrows trying to anticipate your movements. If he loses eye contact, he will move until he has a clear shot again.

To make him search for us, we implemented a Wander node.

We also made a node so he know when someone is hitting him and then we inserted a selector between both possibilities. And since we need to constantly reevaluate this conditions until one of them ‘happens’, we added an until success decorator node.

When he enters attack mode, he starts following you and he attacks non stop thanks to a repeater. We added another brand so it constantly checks on the player, so if he doesn't see you, he walk towards you following the shortest path available. At this moment, it kind of looked like a hide and seek game because we didn’t have the shooting implemented yet. Quite funny.

That's what we made next. We programmed our own attack node and the we animated the Archer.

Now, the finishing touches. We noticed that the Archer sometimes just peeked around a corner and started shooting even tough the wall was pretty much between him and the player. This happened because we used raycast to configure his sight. We solved the issue using SphereCast instead. This way, he has to see you entirely before shooting.

Once this was solved, we implemented some course prediction in the shooting and we tested it all again. Let’s take a look at the final Archer AI and animation.

Welp, hope you like the Archer. Suggestions? Critiques?

?

siskavard
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »

Wow this is looking really good.

My only suggestion with the archers is to have them shoot faster, they pull the arrow out, place it on the bow, draw back and then shoot fairly slowly. I would think skilled archers can do all of that almost instantaneous. I understand you might want to give the player some time to react, but I figure if all they're doing is shooting at you then you may not need the warning.
YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »

Wow this is looking really good.

My only suggestion with the archers is to have them shoot faster, they pull the arrow out, place it on the bow, draw back and then shoot fairly slowly. I would think skilled archers can do all of that almost instantaneous. I understand you might want to give the player some time to react, but I figure if all they're doing is shooting at you then you may not need the warning.

We know right now the Archer is kind of slow, but when you have more enemies in the same room, they can be a real pain in the ass if the spam arrows very fast, haha. Even at the moment, when we put three of them in the same place they are kind of annoying with one or two warriors trying to hit you at the same time.

Once we balance the difficulty, we will probable changes in all enemies.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!  Smiley

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 04:01:33 AM »

Forgot to upload our screenshot saturday screen around here, sorry Embarrassed

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2015, 05:40:31 AM »

Devlog #12 - Moar rooms!

I've recently talked about the procedural generated floor layouts of Immortal Redneck. How we make the map, in other words. Today, I'm showing you some rooms and what they are used for.

We have different types of rooms and they are all made by us, so yes: proceduraly generated layouts, but individually designed rooms so they all have some specific stuff in them.

And what room do we have? In first place, ordinary room, those in which you'll shoot your enemies down and try to survive while you get scrolls, ammo and life, if you are really lucky. These are the most abundant and diverse kind of rooms, as they will hold like 85% or 90% of the map.

Next: skill rooms. They name almost says it all: rooms that challenge you to do some specific stuff. Really hard to achieve, but with really good random prize: a new gun, a great new ability, a lot of ammo or health... We don't know yet the exact range of gifts, but you get the idea: you'll have a room where you have to avoid any damage to win the prize; another one with a time trial; a room in which you’ll have to survive for a certain time before the chest unlocks; or even one that challenge you to open the chest without damaging any enemy.

Unfortunately, I don't have a in-game screen for this kind of room, they need more work and we're a little shy about unfinished work.

There's also special skill rooms to challenge your aim, the Bullseye Rooms, that we preferred to separate from the rest. In them, you either have to shoot some literal bulls-eyes without failing a single shot or you have to hit a target that is very conveniently hidden. You won't win in this last scenario unless you have some special guns with modified trajectories, but hey, they are optional.

Another one: gift rooms. There won’t be a lot of them, but you'll feel blessed each time you find one. Right now, blue is the color that identifies this rooms, but we don’t know if we’ll change that eventually. We want to play a lot with colors inside the pyramid and limiting one to one type of room may be a bad idea.

More rooms: the floor connections. These rooms are just normal ones, but they'll connect each floor of the pyramid and will end up each 'level'. We're not sure about using platforms in here, so we might end up using some stairs or something like that.

Last but not least: the boss rooms. Each pyramid will have a mid-boss encounter and a final boss fight. Really, really hard challenges that will probably make you angry, but hey, nobody said this game was easy. We are holding our bosses screens a little bit, sorry.

And that was all for today. We aim to create a lot of diverse situations by making a lot of room designs. Can't say a number because we have to finish other stuff before, but we want the players to feel that each one of them has something special.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:56:20 AM by YaW » Logged

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »

Hey guys! this project looks really good. I like the eccentric story behind the mummy-redneck  Grin
But what caught my attention is the approach you gave to this devlog, you made it really interesting! You got a new follower here  Beer!
Greetings from Bilbao!

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:03 AM »

Hey guys! this project looks really good. I like the eccentric story behind the mummy-redneck  Grin
But what caught my attention is the approach you gave to this devlog, you made it really interesting! You got a new follower here  Beer!
Greetings from Bilbao!

Thanks a lot, man! So happy you like our devlogs, we try to make them as clear and entertainment as possible. They are not always easy to read, but hopefully that's a good thing too, haha.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2015, 02:10:30 AM »

All of your concept art is wonderfully bright and magical, but the gameplay demonstrations are really dark, claustrophobic and lonely.

I'm sure it's just alpha progress, and you'll hopefully get closer to it  Hand Thumbs Up Right
YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2015, 05:28:16 AM »

All of your concept art is wonderfully bright and magical, but the gameplay demonstrations are really dark, claustrophobic and lonely.

I'm sure it's just alpha progress, and you'll hopefully get closer to it  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Oh, don't worry about that.

We still have a lot to do indoors. We are just showing a few enemies and the same room types we have some stuff sorted out and ready. Lighting and 'weirdness' are two of those things we need to improve a lot, since they will be crucial to the game appeal. So trust us, we'll get close to the artworks in the following months!

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:17 AM »

Hey, guys. We are a little absent because we are working on various things and also because we made a game for the LDJAM 34. It's called Mobsferatu and I thought you'd like it.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-34/?action=preview&uid=59414%20#LDJAM

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2015, 08:40:20 AM »

Really like it so far! Do you have any examples/demos for the OST yet?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2015, 04:07:19 AM »

Really like it so far! Do you have any examples/demos for the OST yet?

Hi there! Thanks for asking. We are working with a local studio to make the OST and sound effects, but we don't have something to show you just yet. We should have started a little earlier with this, I'm afraid...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic