Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:13:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Beginners Results From Derek's GM Tutorials
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Beginners Results From Derek's GM Tutorials  (Read 1453 times)
Ataraxia
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm a noob to pretty much every single aspect of making a game. I've messed around with the various RPG Maker iterations, and I've also messed around a bit with QuakeC When Quake was first released. I found Derek's GM tutorials about a couple of weeks ago and I've been off to a fairly good start. Being a noob I would greatly appreciate some suggestions, criticism and some overall feedback. So I've decided to release what I've created so far, using Derek's tutorials as a base. I present to you Super Ultimate Space Blaster. It's super and ultimate, at the same time.

EDIT: Link is fixed!

Don't expect much at all, it's very unfinished and has very little content, I am just really craving some criticism and suggestions with this being my first dabble into game making. Right now I'm working on a boss (a task far larger than I initially imagined) and once I have that completed I will re-upload my game along with the source.

Controls:
Arrow Keys - Movement
Z - Boost
X - Shoot

Known Bugs:
-The x-position of the view does not correctly reset after the screen shakes from an explosion.
-If you kill a turret before it spawns it cannon, the cannon will remain and shoot at you.
-Sometimes when shooting the cannon part of a turret, a hit will not be registered.

Anyways, let me know what you think! What I'm doing wrong, what I'm doing right, and some ideas. I appreciate it! Also, thanks to pretty much everyone in these forums, you're all great and I've learned a great deal in my short time here.

Credit Where It's Due:
Tileset and player sprite - Derek Yu
Music - Persona 2 IS
SFX - Made with sfxr
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:30:23 PM by Ataraxia » Logged
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »

Got a crash when I X-ed out.

But, pretty sweet for a first effort. The particles/explosions/etc don't fit very well with the pixel art though. Are they done with GM's particle system?

There were a number of nice little touches, like the screen bumping when you hit the bad guys or the rotating barrels on the cannons (that wasn't in his tutorial was it?)

There's plenty of room for improvement, but this is a great start!
Ataraxia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »

Thanks for the comments Nulldorf!

I also get the crash when I X out, I'm pretty sure it's caused by sxms and Vista. I get that type of crash on a lot of Game Maker games I play, so I really don't know how I can go about fixing that.

All the particle effects were done using GM's particle system, using pixels for explosions and smoke and sprites for the pieces the fly out of the enemies when you kill them. How would you suggest making the explosions jive a bit more with pixel art? Get rid of them all together? Maybe go with a totally sprite based particle system?

Derek's tutorials basically got me started with movement, making the player shoot, and creating walls, everything after that was me adding things I thought were neat to the game. Anyways, thanks for the comments!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic