Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:14:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Eldritch Zookeeper - Ticket Booths! Benches! Litter Bins!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: The Eldritch Zookeeper - Ticket Booths! Benches! Litter Bins!  (Read 43792 times)
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2016, 02:49:56 AM »

deab, very much agreed.

Another reason I need TextMesh Pro has been to display floating text above the fences, so as the player drags out a new build they can see how much it'll cost them.

(The observant will notice that 9 * 12 != 84. Was hardcoding the total in that screenshot!)

The colour reflects the 'blocked' nature of the fences themselves. I was concerned with having lots of floating text and numbers and a little multiplication calculation at the end might get to be a bit crowded, too visually busy. Seeing it in-game, I think it looks okay, what do you all think? Floating text that is in the 3D world is, I think, better than any alternative that I could come up with.

deab
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2016, 04:26:54 AM »

Wouldn't just a running total by the mouse pointer be enough? (I'm assuming you click and drag a whole run before confirming)
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »

Wouldn't just a running total by the mouse pointer be enough? (I'm assuming you click and drag a whole run before confirming)

There's no mouse-controls in the game, as the player controls the Zookeeper themselves, with the arrow-keys. I much prefer this to some invisible floating camera high-overhead, or with mouse-based indirection because the player is physically in the game, far more exciting when the monsters are smashing through the fences.

So dragging out fences looks like this:

oldblood made a good suggestion, one that I've been thinking about, which is that only the final fence post needs to display what it displays, unless the cost per fence post differs.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2016, 08:05:51 AM »

Spent a good deal of the week fixing bugs, glitches, like this one:

Much harder to show in screenshot form are the various optimisation work that's also gone on, in order to hit a 60fps that's smooth. In lieu of that, here's a screenshot of a big zoo:

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2016, 04:30:34 AM »

I've been starting some significant work on Visitor emotions, and their associated behaviours. One difficulty is that each visitor has this set of internal emotional values that right now aren't expressed in any visual way, and these sorts of behaviours are complex to observe because they're influenced by a myriad of outside actors.

As I'm only just getting going on this particular set of work, I've exposed these variables in floating text next to the visitor:

Need to make sure what I'm assuming about the emotion modelling actually works on a gameplay level, but then I'll start to talk about what the various states are!

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »

Are the emotions going to be planned out as actual faces the visitors have? I think that would be a clear and concise option. Maybe there could be a  more in depth visitor ID though.

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »

this will probably get really complex to debug. I don't envy you :D
maybe it would be helpful to keep track of what influenced the visitors happiness, kind of a log per agent that you can mouse-over in debug mode.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »

Are the emotions going to be planned out as actual faces the visitors have?

They absolutely are! I want it to be clear at a glance whether a visitor is happy, sad, angry or scared. The real challenge is to give the player feedback as to why they are feeling that. If they're scared because a monster is chasing them and about to rip them to shreads, okay, sure, that's clear enough. But the other emotions are a little more nuanced, so I'm still designing ways to articulate this to the player. I have some ideas.

this will probably get really complex to debug. I don't envy you :D
maybe it would be helpful to keep track of what influenced the visitors happiness, kind of a log per agent that you can mouse-over in debug mode.

Yes indeed, I'm continuing to work on debug interfaces for exposing the data. I've realised that the visitor emotions and the monster emotions are interlinked, and I need to iterate on them together, rather than separately. One piece of tooling I've programmed has been the ability to quickly set up a working zoo (enclosures with monsters and food, with visitors) with a press of a button. Because it's the same layout every time, it's easy to check changes.

The monster emotions have a great deal of power over the state of the whole zoo. If one monster breaks free, the effects will ripple throughout the simulation, so I'm displaying these emotions in a debug panel:

The text goes red when something interesting is happening, or about to happen. This one debug panel has been incredibly helpful today, and the simulation is far more stable than it was this morning. Feeling good!

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2016, 08:57:24 AM »

Displaying some expressions, currently just cycling in a fashion so as to look emotionally confused. The anger expression multiples the skin colour with a red hue, that needs to be faded in a bit. The gif doesn't really get the colours right.

Actionman
Level 0

ermm...

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2016, 05:37:12 AM »

Loving watching this game develop as well as watching your development videos  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2016, 05:53:34 AM »

The expressions are already adding a ton of life to the game. This game needs more vlogs.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

Loving watching this game develop as well as watching your development videos  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

The expressions are already adding a ton of life to the game. This game needs more vlogs.

Thanks guys! Worked today on getting a build into a state where I can shoot another video log. Check back tomorrow!

Came across this little bug today, only happens rarely, but it's also not complicated to replicate:

Poor lil' guy. Trying to get to that meat on the other side of the fence. There are other options!

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »

New devlog! Watch it!

I give a basic overview of the various monsters in the game, all of which have at least their basic animation set in them.

Going to take a few days off from the devlog next week, I have the small task of moving from England to Canada, so... brb.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »

I'm back! Move to Canada is completed, new place moved into and development machine set up. Back to zookeeping...

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »

Glad to see you back at it! Really looking forward to some new updates.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »

Thaaaanks ActualDog!

Spent some time to put together a site for the game. It's not got any screenshots yet, but there's some fun story stuff there, if you'd like to read that.

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2016, 01:35:17 AM »

Nice to hear that development continues. Keep it up  Coffee
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »

Thanks miguli! Feels good to be back at it.

I've been experimenting with something I've wanted to implement since about November, which is dynamic lighting. Looking at the screenshots so far, there's a sense that the two-dimensional sprites don't quite look as if they really belong in the environment, and instead kind of look as if they've been pasted in. Sure, part of that is unavoidable given the mad perspective I'm going with for this game, but I've been pretty sure that it can be improved upon given decent lighting.

One recent development on the Spine forums has been a freely available (and actively developed) shader for Spine characters, that receives light, with support for vertex lighting, pixel lighting, and normal maps. It's not perfect quite yet, but I thought it worth trying out, so that I can plan in environmental effects that really liven up the aestheic. You'll notice in the painting I posted a couple of days ago, there's a lot of lighting going on there. I'd love for the game to begin to look like that.

Here's the current state of experimentation, the first image is how it has been thus-far during development, no lighting at all, with the exception of casting a shadow.

The exaggerated set-up for this scene is two pretty powerful point lights (red and blue), also in daylight. The second image shows what happens when the new lit shader is applied, the whole sprite is washed with a hue resulting from the mix of the blue and red lights. I think this already looks better than no-lighting, there's much less 'pop', the character fits in with the grass objects which are actual 3D models, and there's some dynamic shadows from the point lights too.

Normal maps are a great way to fake height and depth on a plane, effectively, another image is applied on-top of the texture image, containing information of the normal (surface angle) of the various points on the flat surface.

I got in touch with the developer of the not-yet-released normal map creation tool Sprite DLight, which sets itself apart from other sprite normal mapping tools by creating normal maps automatically, rather than forcing me to paint it all myself. He's been quite helpful, exporting a couple of maps for me to test with from the current beta of the software.

Of the two, the one without smoothing seems to appear the more subtle of the two, more naturally lighting the edges of the face. The obvious difference between a normal mapped surface, and the sprite with lit data applied evenly, is that the sprite gets lit with different colours in different areas. So the left side of the head is lit with a red hue, and the face with a blue hue, giving the character a better sense of place in the world.

The rather unfortunate side-effect of the normal mapping technique, is the problem of seams, as can be seen around the elbows, knees, and most clearly where the legs enter the body. This occurs because the automatic behaviour of DLight doesn't take into account the segmented nature of the Spine atlas.

The character atlas image is a horrific Tetris game of body parts from all the different characters that share the Human skeleton, spread all over the place, and DLight treats each of those separately. It's a known problem when it comes to Spine characters and automatic normal mapping techniques. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions as to nice ways to reduce these artifacts.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »

party party yeah!!  Hand Thumbs Up LeftCheesyToast Right

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

Thanks for your enthusiasm naezith!

Returned to my work on visitor emotions and expressions, having not touched the code for six weeks or so, so had to refamiliarise myself with what I was doing and what I wanted to do. Having added code and graphical assets for the male visitors to express themselves, and figured out what I wanted to do, I've done the same thing for the female visitors.

So all the visitors can express how they're feeling, there are currently eight different emotions behind the scenes. And while the emotional values behind these states are being influenced by what the visitor does, the emotions currently don't cascade to influencing what the visitor does next, which I think is the next step.

It's strange to see a visitor wandering casually between monster pens with a grimace of pure terror splashed across their face.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic