Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:08:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpellrazor 0.9.4 - New Trailer - Rogue meets Robotron/Berzerk
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Spellrazor 0.9.4 - New Trailer - Rogue meets Robotron/Berzerk  (Read 6027 times)
Dene
Level 0

Fable co-creator, now Fluttermind sole creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »

Added a bunch of glitch effects today to help cement the idea of this being a 'broken' videogame.

Basically, I do 3 things in order to make the game seem borked:

- Hold the current frame for 0.25 to 0.5 seconds
- Place random text over the frozen screen buffer at precise 8x8 character positions in a variety of colours and at low opacity. This gives some interesting overlay effects.
- Add one of a range of noise-burst sounds gathered from: http://madgarden.net/apps/glitch-machine/. I loop these so they can run for any timeframe, and cut them off when the specific glitch has disappeared.

If you've not come across Bytebeat software, it's kind of amazing. It allows you to write small algorithms to a single byte sound buffer, with variables such as 't' for time-step. If you just use t, you get a sawtooth wave as t rises, and then wraps within the byte back to zero again. If you use t + t^2 then you get something else. It kind of works like this:

and

Despite the memory and programs being small, explorers in this realm have managed to create weird techno-industrial music with it! I'm just using it for glitches, but I thought I'd share, regardless.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:30:35 AM by Dene » Logged

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

Interesting idea.

It's hard to remember what all the different ammo types do, so picking the one I actually want is pretty difficult.
Also the slomo mechanic is quite nice, it makes me wonder if something more turn based would be better.

Dene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »

Did you try the console at all? The game pauses while you're fiddling around in it, and gives you descriptions of everything you've found whenever you want it. If you're finding it tough, you can always toggle 'slowmo always on' by tapping ctrl, too. Pretty much becomes a strategy game if you turn that on. :-)

I could make it so the game actually stops 100% instead of slowing down, too...

Dene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »

Okay folks, version 0.9.0 is up here.

It's the last 'please test me' version before I package it up and - I dunno - put it on Steam or something.
The game is complete, bar any balancing issues or bugs people report.

The game also has a hidden ending. I'll be really interested to see if anyone can finish it.

Note: finishing the game doesn't mean reaching the 'bottom' or anything like that.
It's linked to the console, with frequent links to things you find in the levels. Think of it as a self-contained ARG.
I sorted out the end-sequence, and I must say it's creepy as hell.
I actually freaked myself out so much I started hearing things last night...

If you enjoy it, please feel free to leave a comment on the itch.io page, or on Facebook. I really want fans of games like Defender and rogue-likes to enjoy this, so any feedback is welcome.

Dene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »

0.9.2 is now ready right here. Anyone with full screen issues previously should see a nice, big, fat Spellrazor at all times, now.

I also fixed a glitch where it was possible to get things shoved out into 'no man's land' when using the Void spell (and thus crash).

Dene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »

New version up, and a new trailer, too! The game's still free, as ever, and I'm happy to share any info I have on any aspect of making the game, or the trailer.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:49:48 PM by Dene » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic