Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:43:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGataela - Victorian Steampunk RPG (Graphical Demo Update Out!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Gataela - Victorian Steampunk RPG (Graphical Demo Update Out!)  (Read 17762 times)
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »

"I should have done that earlier" is pretty much how I think about everything I do. Sounds like a cool trick though, would love to see some nice new tree shadow screenshots Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »

Devlog #25 - 16/02/16

Took a break from adding maps today to work on some UI improvements. I'm not sure whether to go with the gold or with the red header/footer and if the legibility of the stats on the character images is good or not.

---

"I should have done that earlier" is pretty much how I think about everything I do. Sounds like a cool trick though, would love to see some nice new tree shadow screenshots Smiley

The most recent shot I posted is this one from last week. Does it count? Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »

Devlog #26 - 20/02/16

Finally finished adding all the huge maps for the next beta content today. The shadow fixes I did earlier this week has really helped me speed it along so I'm glad Smiley Doing the maps before was pretty much a headache because I felt like I wasn't progressing at all.

I'll be switching back to adding some new features and upgrading some parts of the game so I'll probably have more programming things to talk about soon Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »

Devlog #27 - 20/02/16

Today was a fairly productive day so to list off a few things:
- Got raycasting to work properly
- Patrol enemies work properly now (they'll spot and attack the player like in pokemon)
- Swapped items/equipment to use percentages instead of hard-coded values
- When you equip weapons of a certain type that you haven't before, you will unlock a new skill tree and the first skill of that tree
- Skill menu correctly filters out skills you can't use with the currently equipped weapon
- Fixed some keyboard command bugs beta testers reported (i.e. it was feeling janky)

And some quick shots:

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 12:06:25 AM »

So from just reading the first page of this, will the debate system allow me as a player to be like some super suave dude who wins everything through wooing ladies?
That would be great.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »

Devlog #28 - 23/02/16

I'm making some interior maps again so nothing too interesting to post just yet. I took a little break intending to work on upgrading the turn-based battle animations, but ended up working on fixing some crashing bugs and cleaning things up a bit.

A couple beta testers informed me that when playing, if they didn't click things in a very specific order the game would crash during battles on PC. They also mentioned it was becoming VERY annoying for them (they stopped playing for now).

After a bit of testing, I found that most of the crashing tended to happen when selecting items/options during the battle. Party members, skills, enemies, whatever.

I was using the bounding boxes of the sprites and the point that was clicked on the screen to get the option and at some points it was saying there was a sprite when there wasn't (Thanks PC).

For the moment I've moved the code over to another file and am redoing this section of code from the ground up. I'm still using the bounding box method, except with the physics system this time. Mainly because there's less point conversions, if I turn debugging on it's easy to see the clickable areas, and I can disable clickable areas as states change. Plus, one of the issues on mobile devices was that the clickable areas were too small or seemed inaccurate, so this way I can adjust the sizes easily if need be.

For the moment it looks something like this:

---

So from just reading the first page of this, will the debate system allow me as a player to be like some super suave dude who wins everything through wooing ladies?
That would be great.

Unfortunately, not really. You may have options to woo ladies during the debates but whether that'll go over well or not with the lady in question is another thing entirely. Wink

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »

Devlog #29 - 24/02/16

Well I finished fixing up the battle system and I'm not experiencing any crashes anymore. I also found some other minor bugs while fixing it (I'm surprised they didn't trigger earlier). I also got the new animation system working so it should be a lot more flexible. I'll be updating the animations soon, and after that it'll be polishing the battle UI. It should go a lot smoother; when the physics boxes are enabled or disabled, I can include the enabling of UI elements to show the player where to click.

In other news, here's a screenshot from the interior maps I liked.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »

Devlog #30 - 25/02/16

More interior maps. Nothing special. In the meantime here's a gif with the battle system working again with a new attack animation.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »

Devlog #31 - 28/02/16

Finished off creating the interior houses today and did another few upgrades to the battle system. I'll be adding new battle animations in over the next few days. For now, another gif.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »

Devlog #32 - 29/02/16

I managed to get a lot more done than I thought last week so I spent today doing some quick prototyping of new features.

The first was to have a mini map on the overworld. A lot of beta testers mentioned that they kept getting lost or not knowing where to go. For the moment I set it up to draw all the collisions, clip to the circular area, and stay centered on the character. I'll likely move to drawing the character's position and direction facing, and the goals next. Goals will likely need a lot of thinking through for when they're on other maps. I'll also be adding a "in the general area" goals for when you need to search out NPCs.

The second major thing was doing some upgrades to audio. I started with the simplest task, which was allowing an A part (intro) and B part (repeat) to be played one after each other. Luckily it didn't need any modifications in the engine itself (otherwise that would've required a lot more testing across platforms), only changing how I played music. The next thing to add is somehow implementing crossfades.

And now a shot of the test map with it's collisions (red) being drawn in the mini map (blue) in the bottom right corner.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2016, 05:56:44 PM »

Devlog #33 - 04/03/16

Added the submaps from the other day, and tried a different way of writing the story the past few days. I had a couple beta testers tell me that the dialogue (mainly in cutscenes) felt really stiff. I decided to switch things up by writing in the dead of night and in the form of a novel instead of a script. Seems to have worked. Only downside is that I need to rewrite the next beta portion. Hopefully I can get that done in the next few days.

Programming-wise, I started on the mini-map again. I've got it to draw the location of the player, valid story events, and show an indicator along the edge of the ring in which general direction to move in. If there's two goal points it'll spawn two indicators as well. It works well for maps where the events are already on them, but I'm not sure how to go about it when the goal is on a different map just yet.

Quick screenshot. Blue: boundaries. Yellow: player. Pink: goal.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »

Devlog #34 - 06/03/16

Did a bunch of balancing. Finished swapping all the equipment over to using percentages instead of using whole numbers.  Also some more UI updates. I'm still not sure about the header and footer colors. I also need to find a place for the "swap costume" option on the status screen, and do something about the readability of the white text on the patterned background. For now I added a stroke.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »

This is minor, but it bugs me that the "back" button on the menu is the same color as the header and footer.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »

Devlog #35 - 08/03/16

Spent a lot of time rewriting stuff. I think I'm finally happy with it and will be putting it in over the course of this week. For now I went back to the mini map to take a break. I have it now determine the general direction to head to the next story point across all maps.

Essentially, if you go onto a new overworld map, it will point in the general direction to head. That is, north, south, east or west. When you get onto the overworld map that has the story point, it will give more precise directions on where to go. Haven't decided yet if sub-maps should have it point or not.

As a result players shouldn't get lost anymore. The only downside is I now have to replay the entire game to make sure the mini map is set up correctly. At least it's only an hour or two of content to shift through. I'll wait on feedback from beta testers before I decide to skin the map properly, just in case they want other items to appear on it.

Also another nice thing about the mini map is it's backwards compatible with current save files.

----------------------

This is minor, but it bugs me that the "back" button on the menu is the same color as the header and footer.

I'll keep that in mind for when I go back to fiddling around with the header and footer.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »

Devlog #36 - 10/03/16

Went through and replayed the entire game and verified all the global mini map points were working properly. I have a couple things I need to fix on the display, but otherwise the first pass of it is complete. Thus, I return to adding story content and working on a mini-dungeon of sorts. It's intended to teach a couple things about patrol enemies:

1. They're patrol enemies so they follow a route
2. There's usually 2-3 of them in the same area/route
3. You can hide behind stuff to avoid them seeing you
4. They're very strong

The main dungeon follows almost directly after and is about traversing a maze of sorts with tons of these, so it's good practice.

In other news, Cocos2dx did an interview with me, feel free to check it out.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »

Devlog #37 - 12/03/16

Working on trying to figure out a new layout for debates. I think I might end up making a new background pattern for it.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

Devlog #38 - 16/03/16

I've just been scripting events so I have nothing too interesting to show on that front. The only thing I can say is that I absolutely hate the fact that I keep typing show as shoe and it happens about every 30 seconds.

Oh and... we're at 70% complete now.

Vitalius Sch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2016, 01:01:18 AM »

Devlog #9 - 4/11/15

I'm not feeling 100% (still sick) and bug fixing has annoyed me a bit, so I've taken a break to work on some maps. This is one I completed earlier today.

You need to add more ordered trees ... IMHO .. sample:

In general, the graphics are pretty cute ..
GL
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:14:25 AM by PerDollerLabs » Logged

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2016, 05:19:57 PM »

Devlog #39 - 23/03/16

I took a break from scripting today to try and get some post-processing shaders working on the game. There's a couple points where I would like to have a sunset or night-time like filter over the game, and I was working on putting that in through openGL shaders. Unfortunately after 8 hours or so I'm gonna put a pause on it.

There's a lovely tutorial over here for post-processing effects in Cocos2dx. It works, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I'm using OpenGL and it's vertexZ buffer in order to lay out all my sprites. The tutorial assumes that you're using cocos2dx's parent-child relationships.

What it does is essentially take a screenshot of your game, apply the shader to it, and then displays it. When it takes the screenshot, it's just redrawing everything onto a texture, but it uses the parent-child relationships to draw the sprite order. So what ends up happening for me is that the shader is applied correctly, but the sprites are all drawn out of order and they don't have proper layering.

Despite my best efforts at searching for an answer, I haven't been able to find one since EVERY solution follows the same tutorial, or is the same pieces of code. Plus, I'm absolutely useless with OpenGL. There's also no way to apply a shader to a parent element and also have it apply to all children elements with Cocos2dx (that I know of?), so since there's more important things to deal with, they shall be dealt with.

If anyone has any ideas, shout. I'm going to head back into the hell called release testing.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »

Devlog #40 - 28/03/16

I'm in balancing and release testing at the moment and ran into some issues with Visual Studio's linker this weekend. It might be of some interest to people.

I was fixing an issue with cutscenes and needed to make some new cpp files (the issue was if I had an npc walking off screen (or in general) if a dialog box then showed up the npc would stop moving). So I created the new cpp files, and added them to my Visual Studio project. Everything compiled fine up until the linking; I got the error LNK1140: too many modules for program database; link with /PDB:NONE.

So ok. More issues. Lovely.

As I found out yesterday:

- A PDB file is the thing that holds your debugging information
- An object (.obj) is a module
- You can only have 4095 modules in your PDB

Microsoft says to do the following for a solution:

- Relink using /PDB:NONE; or
- Compile some modules without debugging information; or
- Reduce the number of modules

By turning on PDB none, you remove all debugging information for you project. That's not what I wanted. I tried to turn off some modules without debugging information, but this would likely only be a patch solution; I'd run into it again as soon as I needed to add more cpp files. So clearly I needed to reduce the number of modules.

Except googling "LNK1140 reduce number of modules" gives 0 helpful results.

So first I counted how many obj files I actually have. There's 100 on the dot. Which means there's another 4000 coming from somewhere.... Well, not exactly, it's coming from libraries I'm importing. So outside of the obvious libraries I'm importing in my solution, there's also other ones in Properties > Linker > Input > Additional Dependencies. And some of them you can't remove because they're inherited. Thankfully you can ignore specific default libraries.

So I removed a few from the additional dependencies. It didn't fix the problem. Perhaps they weren't being used in the first place so they weren't being compiled into the PDB. I can't quite remove the .libs I need.

A suggestion online said to turn .lib projects in your solution into .dlls. Except everything that could be turned into a .dll in my solution was one to start. I tried turning a few .libs into .dlls but then I suddenly had compilation errors. I don't really wanna mess around with the game engine so I left it as a .lib.

Then I came across an option in Linker > General; you could output all the modules that were being linked. So I set it and watched. As expected, one of my libraries from the game engine was being added a lot.

So, somehow the .objs from the library are being added. There's the other 4k .objs. Now how to get it to not do that. I can't convert it into a .dll. Thankfully I found an option for that.

That right there, Use Library Dependency Inputs, is the option you want to turn off. The description Microsoft gives is obtuse, but I came across it while trying to find a solution on stackoverflow.

Essentially:

So, I set it to off, let it compile and everything linked perfectly.

I'm praying right now that this is a permanent fix to the problem, but I will likely see what the result is down the line when I have to add more cpps. If it doesn't fix it, well, I'll probably end up making another post about it. (And probably dealing with those .libs in additional dependencies.)

Follow-up
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:28:18 PM by pmarincak » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic