Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:35:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSklaf [2D platformer]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Sklaf [2D platformer]  (Read 6351 times)
FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »

We're currently working on the scoring screen:

I'm waiting for your feedbacks on this and will explain the screen afterwards.

TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »

The only thing I don't like is the 'hexagon' tiles beneath the planet circle. The rest looks good (alignment, clarity).
FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:23 AM »

Hi there!

Before we start, we want to wish you a happy new year filled with games, new game+ and achievements! (Yeah, we are a bit late on this one :p )

In our last post in December, we told you that we were looking for a graphist. We are pleased to announce that we found him!

First, I’d like to thank all the people who applied and tried our test. And second, I’d like to introduce you Mathieu, who passed the test and joined our small team. Here’s a quick word from him:

Hello little Sklafs!

I’m Mustach Thunder, newcomer in the team to help carry out the project Sklafs.

This is how it began:

I was quietly trying to navigate on board on my office-chair on the Web cosmic when I caught a distress call from a team with graphical needs.

My blood had a beat. As a space ranger, I answered the call and went to light speed up to the secret base of Fundation. There, I found other rangers I knew from older missions.

What a pleasure it was to cross the path of these old pals. Alas, the Sklaf shuttle was too small for all of us, and after some furious duels, I took my place with the team you already know well.

These fanatics gave me the virus Sklaf and the will to make it THE GAME TO BE PLAYED!

Believe me… They took me backstage, and what’s going on there is simply awesome… I was won over by the project, and will do everything to complete it quickly so you can play it!

Stay tuned friends Smiley

Here are the graphic test that Mathieu has done:

What now?

We’re currently finishing the documents for welcoming Mathieu in our team.

When it’s done (which should be soon), we’re going to focus on our short term objective: produce an Alpha version of Sklaf.

This version will contain the whole first planet of the game, with something qualitatively really close of the final version of the game.

The Alpha will then be distributed for free to all the players who are willing to help us.

This will also allow us to show the game to some video game events.

During the next weeks, we’ll need your help for two things:

• Publisize the project by following us on Facebook and Twitter (and share it with your friends)

• Take part to the polls we will set on some parts of the game (monster design, planet name, etc…) to make the Alpha better.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Finally…

Before closing this firt post of the year, I share with you the first researches of Mathieu on the Joolees.

We’ll come back soon to talk about it some more.

Enjoy!

See you soon!

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 07:19:32 AM »

Hello,

Today, we’ll talk about the first planet of the game and see in details how will be organized our missions!

Welcome on Alpha

Let’s get started and show you the first planet, codename Alpha:

Created for the occasion, you can find a new page in the Looniversalis here: Alpha.

There, you’ll find (almost) everything you need to know about the planet.

Alpha is not its final name and you’ll soon be able to vote to choose how it will be called in the game.

If you feel inspired after reading its description, let us a comment on this post with your idea Smiley

Missions

For our game, we planned 5 planets and a really short tutorial.

In each planet, there will be several missions. Their objectives will sometimes be questionable, but they’ll always be the result of a thorough analysis from the AI of the ship… or maybe not…

There will be 4 types of missions which will determine the gameplay of the level:

• Exploration: there will be 5 for each planet. These are the main type of level. No special rules for these ones.
  • Pursuit: these are secondary types which will be unlocked by finishing exploration levels. On these ones, the Sklaf will be pursued and there will be no checkpoint. If you die, you’ll have to start again from the beginning. There will be 2 for each planet.
  • Puzzle: Another secondary type. Only one game screen with a limited number of Sklafs. The goal is to find your way to the end of the level by positioning « corpses » on the right spots. Obviously, the less Sklafs you use, the more score you get. Also 2 of these for each planet.
  • Boss: Each planet will have one. By beating it, you’ll unlock the next planet. Each boss will have a specific gameplay and will follow its own rules.

This makes a total of 10 missions for each planet.

Happy?

We hope this post helped you see how we will structure our game and that our fist planet got your interest.

And as a bonus for today, a quick concept art of the ship:

Feel free to let comments or to share on social networks.

If it’s not done yet, you can follow us on our Facebook and Twitter.

See you soon for more!

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14:04 AM »

Just a quick image today to show our work on our main character

and another one to explain the screen on the head of the Sklaf

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »

We made a small retake on the scoring UI. We changed the way to show collectibles (on the bottom left of the screen) and we added the art of the planet

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 05:19:52 AM »

First animations on our final sprite:

http://twitter.com/FundationTeam/status/711187383941787648?s=09

What do you think of it ? We're trying to get the best ratio between quality and time to be produced.

Not sure of the attack animation yet (the one where the character is sliding)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:25:29 AM by FundationStudio » Logged

Kuny
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »

Very nice visuals! Smiley Animations are also great. Maybe the attack animation should be a little bit slower (last longer)?

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 06:24:36 AM »

Thanks ! Yes, we're trying to adjust the timing and distance of the attack to get the best result. We're also working on what's left to animate on the Sklaf. You should be able to see a video with all of the animations of the character very soon.

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 07:17:36 AM »

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the logbook of March that might be quite long because a lot of things happened this month.

First of all, I wanted to introduce you two new guys who will be part of the team: David Besnier, who will work on animations and Antoine Rozan, in charge of the sound design and the music composition.

No worries, we’ll make a proper introduction of them during April on our website.

But for now, let’s celebrate: Fundation Team is complete!

Ships and planets

The coming of Mathieu, our second graphist, at the end of February, helped us making huge improvements on the graphical part of the game.

We started to work on our first “cinematic” of the game with our first graphist (Cube). In order to achieve that, we needed Mathieu to make some concepts on elements that will be visible both in-game and in the introduction: the ship and the first planet.

If you haven’t read yet our article about the first planet of the game and the missions, it’s right here: http://fundationstudio.com/blog/planet-and-missions/

The last element necessary was what we call the “Mother Ship” in which are created the Sklafs.

These are the first concepts that may still evolve in the future. Tell us what you think of it!

The Sklaf

When this was done, we started working on the Sklaf again.

It was one of our main priorities, because this is the character which will be controlled by the player. Also, we needed the sprite quickly so that David would be able to animate it.

We already had a lot of researches on the Sklaf, but we still needed to design its armor. It’s interesting to see how much a concept art can change the way we imagined our character.

At first, we were thinking of a modern armor with an “Apple” white and a look really “Sci-Fi”. But then Mathieu has arrived with some concepts and one of them was unanimously chosen. He had an “explorer” style with a bit of steampunk in it.

When we look at it, it’s quite far from our first idea. But, we chose this direction because we found that the Sklaf was way cooler like this.

The steampunk aspect was also more in keeping with our character. For instance, if a Sklaf must repair a machine, it will do it with a wrench… Well, maybe it will hit it with a wrench, but you get the idea.

Another important element is its clothes. We decided that the Sklafs are all dressed the same way except for their hat that will determine their function.

The Sklafs that go on planet have an explorer style, but we also could have cooks with a chef's hat

With the design over and the sprite complete, David started to work on animations. I won’t go into details here because we’ll soon make a full article on it.

The important info here is that all of the Sklaf movements are complete and integrated!

The artificial intelligence: Deep Queen

The Sklaf was finished, so we put our efforts on another important character for the narration: the A.I.

No need to come back on it here, you can find a lot of infos on our blog:

Article about the conception: http://fundationstudio.com/blog/make-way-for-deep-queen/
Character story: http://fundationstudio.com/blog/deep-queen-2/

“Corpses”

There is a lot of works in progress that are almost done. I’ll begin by the “corpses”.

This is the core feature of our game. It allows the player to climb on Sklafs corpses and help him to progress in the game.

Its look needed to be both funny and clear enough so the players will understand that these are platforms. Here are the concept arts that we have kept.

When people were testing our game, or when we talk about this feature, one of the feedback that keep coming back was “Can we pile up corpses?”

The answer was no because it would be a problem for the level design. The players would have been able to block themselves.

We found a solution so that it won’t be the case anymore. Now, players will be able to destroy a corpse by hitting him.

So, we’re glad to announce that you can now pile up corpses!! Here’s a first technical test in-game:

As you can see, the red eye was too catchy, so we add a system of activation on a corpse.

By default, the corpse will have a deactivated eye, and when the player climbs on it, we play a short animation.

Works in progress

We’re currently working on several major improvements:

Evolution system: we want to add a system that allows the player to improve his Sklafs with the Joolees he gets while completing missions.
Retakes on level design to add secondary paths and to reinforce the exploration feel of the game. We want to keep it simple though, and we don’t want to lean toward a metroidvania-like.
Integration of a plugin, Ferr2D, to our production of decors. This will make us spare some time on the set up of the levels and easily add curves to them.
Development of the first monsters and their behaviours.
Production of the first definitive graphical assets for our levels with the new constraints of the plugin Ferr2D.

This is the end… of this article

As you may have seen, March was full of new things and enhancements.

Our goal for April is to have a level complete. It’s an ambitious objective but we think we have the team to complete it!

We also planned two articles. The first one will be on the animation part, with the introduction of David, the animations of the Sklaf, and an explanation on our way to work. The second one will talk about the evolution system that we want to make. It will include the Joolees and their working.

We’ll also try to post regularly new concepts and graphical assets (and maybe even sound elements!). So come like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter to stay in touch.

The best way to help us develop is to share our work to your friends!

See you soon, and feel free to comment Smiley

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »

Beautiful level art!  Kiss

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 11:14:25 PM »

Thanks !

We're working on the first mobs of the game. Tell us what you think of it. Here's some screenshots:

We think that our readability is not good enough at the moment. Maybe too much details on the main character sprite. We're currently working on some decor and then we'll see if everything works well together.

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 12:31:22 AM »

Hi there !

We made a quick video to demonstrate how we can use corpses in our game to progress.

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 12:53:35 AM »

Hey there!

It's been a while since we post some news here. We've been very (very) busy putting all our efforts in our game.

I'll give you soon some more detailed news but in a few words, here where we are:

- We are now working with Ferr2D, a unity plugin, to set the base of our level
- Our character can now run on slopes
- We finished the levels 1, 2 and 3 and the first puzzle type level
- We have an Alpha version of the decor of levels 1, 2 and puzzle game
- We have an Alpha version of some UIs (Level selection, pause and scoring screens)

Currently, we're working on:

- An evolution system of our characters
- The sound design
- The decor of the level 3
- The level design of level 4
- A prototype of a bonus level with a runner-like gameplay

We're trying to make some quick iterations of our game with new goals every two weeks. Our next sprint finishes next week and everything we're working on right now should be done at this time (We'll see if we manage to keep our promises).

In the meantime, we made a video of the last iteration of our first level. It's not definitive yet, but it's coming closer!

Tell us what you think!

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »

Hi there,

We've made some major changes since the last time I came here, especially on the jump and the camera. I'm still struggling on the camera to make it work as I'd want to.

In the meantime, we've made a trailer for Sklaf. It's not perfect but it shows more or less all the aspects of our game.

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 01:39:36 AM »

Hi there!
I adore the character designs and animation.

my only critique would be that the demo scenery is not on par with the concept art so far, The scenery for me was the most impressive part of the earlier posts, and I only hope that this doesn't go the way of Mighty No9 (concept being way better looking than the final product) Beg.

looking forward to progress on this project, It stands out for sure. 

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 06:40:45 AM »

Thanks !

I agree on the scenery. In fact we had to find technical solutions to have something both pretty and quite easy to produce. That's where we are now, but our goal is still to match the quality of the concept art. The game also lacks a lot of FX and animated decors. That's something we'd like to add in the future.

But right now, we're focusing on the gameplay. We reworked the jump to add more weight and precision to it. And I'm currently trying to correct our camera. It's not good enough yet Sad

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 08:50:47 AM »

We finally finished an Alpha version of Sklaf! It's available right here : http://fundationstudio.com/blog/work-in-progress-2/

We need all the feedbacks we can get! You can leave a comment on this forum or with the questionnaire which is on the download page.

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:30 PM »

lol i really liked the trailer! the humour is great, and also the gameplay looks fun. The video kept me entertained all way through, even though its 2+ mins long, which is where i usually just click ahead. Gj! :D

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 01:25:46 AM »

Glad you liked it! We will probably shorten it though ^^

By the way, if anybody here will be near Paris at the end of October, we will be at the Paris Games Week to showcase the game. So if you want to chat with us or just play the Alpha and try to beat our best scores, come :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic