Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:22:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMYMMO - Design your own MMO city builder sim
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: MYMMO - Design your own MMO city builder sim  (Read 79537 times)
aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »

MYMMO

A SimCity inspired city builder where you design an MMO RPG. Design your own mini World of Warcraft and watch as AI controlled players complete quests, refine their equipment, battle dragons and enter the PVP arena for glory. Single player. Tycoon style. Pure creative freedom.

This is a complete rework of my Ludum Dare entry TMO.

Latest - Update 11:

Image dump!

Pathfinding integrated with voxel engine:

New voxel types - transparency, half slabs, micro (quad) voxel:

I plan on making the in-game assets with the voxel engine itself, like this cute little house:

An oldie buy goodie:

Follow me at @aaronjbaptiste

Follow SphexArt at @SphexArt

MYMMO on itch.io

MYMMO on reddit

YouTube:

Testing path finding and lighting. Oh and imported random minecraft skins for fun.

Testing the new Camera and UI snapping
24 Oct 2015 Environment Update
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:36:23 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »

Update 1:

Players getting a quest from an NPC, a wise old wizard.

Sometimes they're a bit too keen...

Shopping for weapons.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:28:57 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

Update 2:

Performance testing with thousands of players. Also quickly designed a medieval style building!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:29:40 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »

The perspective on that image makes scrolling along my browser look like I'm zooming in and out Shocked
Also the game looks great!
aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:34:57 AM »

Update 3:

Working on some basic UI today. Now you're able to place NPC's into the game world.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:31:45 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:22 PM »

Update 4:

Done:

Player log in animation
NPC conversation
Player name tags

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

Update 5:

Lots of progress, best shown as a video! (<2 minutes long).

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »

I'm curious, what's the relationship between the buildings, characters, and player?

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »

I'm curious, what's the relationship between the buildings, characters, and player?

You as the game designer are responsible for keeping your players happy. The happier the players, the higher the rating your game has, and the higher the rating the more subscribers you get. More subscribers ultimately grants more cash.

Players (AI controlled) log into your World starting at level Novice, the first thing they look for is an NPC to give them a Quest. So you build and design that.

Next they need monsters to fight, so you zone a Monsters area where they are spawned automatically. Monsters drop loot which the players can sell at shops. Shops also sell equipment which is necessary for your players to defeat higher level monsters.

As your players level up they will want more like sociable buildings - taverns and PVP arenas. You'll also need to tech into different classes which have unique benefits to your world. If a player becomes a Hunter for example they will be able to tame Beasts and use them as mounts. Thieves are able to steal rare items from Monsters, so they shop less.

But that is all to come, at this current stage in the game players log in, search for an NPC, talk to him and then wander around looking for monsters to kill. Monster zoning is next on the todo list!

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 01:49:03 PM »

Update 6:

Done!

Sweet sweet UI for monster zoning
Procedural rocks for monsters
Created a subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mymmo

This weekend i'll be working on some low level monsters.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:10:05 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »

maybe you can enlighten me. Is this game about making an mmo for npc's and the only real player is the one making it? so you would be making an mmo maker for players who want to make an mmo for npc's?

FatalSleep
Level 0

Game Developer using GM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »

maybe you can enlighten me. Is this game about making an mmo for npc's and the only real player is the one making it? so you would be making an mmo maker for players who want to make an mmo for npc's?
Correct, which in and of itself is a pretty cool idea. It's like Roller-coaster Tycoon went Medieval MMO.
aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »

Update 7:

Done!

Environment assets
New smoother player idle and walk animations
Also a more full playthrough on YouTube

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:10:10 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »

Update 8:

Done!

Jello Mob ^_^ !! (Created by SphexArt)
More player animations (also by SphexArt)
NPC -> Monster zone AI

Next: Polish combat + special effects
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:36:55 PM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »

This is looking awesome!  Beer!

I'm wondering though how extensive you're going to take this concept. For instance, would in-game economies be a thing at all? Or would players just produce income for you? In a similar vein, have you seen Extra Credits ongoing series about player types? If so, would you be taking those player types into account when creating the social layers of play? I could see some interesting macro play coming from both of those; having world-wide battles to help deflate economies or having consumables that enhance the social aspect to help grow the social base while also providing a sink for income.

Either way, I'm interested to see where this goes  Gentleman

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »

I've given lots of thought to the ideas you mention, the in-game economy is a very interesting one. Typically in survival games you have to gather resources from the environment, wood and stone etc to build houses however I don't think that fits too well with the theme. One thing that does ring true is crafting professions as seen in the likes of Guild Wars and WoW. Now bear with me because there's a lot of ground to cover!

What I think would be really cool would be that when the Player (By Player I refer to the AI controlled civilians) reaches a certain level they decide whether to become an adventurer - where they branch off to be a Warrior, Hunter etc. Or they become a Crafter, where they become blacksmiths, cooks etc. You as the designer will be able to affect the chance of what they become by building certain building types (like a Kitchen, upgradable with add ons to boost the cook profession's desirability).

Now the adventurer's needs shops with good loot in them, the higher the level they are, the higher tier equipment they need to survive. But shops in this game get their stock from the crafters, who instead of hunting monsters they gather resources, craft items and sell them to shops which fuels the economy. There might even be some end game content such as an auction house, which streamlines the exchange.

So imagine this, you see a warrior fighting a dragon with legendary glowing gear on, you click him and can see he is level MASTER and has the sword "McLovin's Sword of Justice" equipped. You can click McLovin's name and you're taken to the very Player that crafted his sword -  A level MASTER blacksmith :D. I'm so pumped about those kinds of interactions and minor details it's unreal.

Social will definitely be a building type you need to manage, in the forms of taverns, inns, guilds and PVP arenas. Players will need downtime from their usual pattern to hang out at social spots.

I have been watching the series yes, it's been great having that going on while I've been designing :D.

Aiming for an alpha build out ASAP, before spring I hope. Initially it will be more of a creative experience than a game - like creative mode in Minecraft but with AI, but i'm keen on getting you guys feedback throughout development.

Thanks for the comment  Beer!

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »

Is there somewhere I can sign up for the Alpha or is it going to be posted on here?

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 01:20:42 AM »

I will post sign up details here Smiley

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »

"If you're names not on the list you're not coming in"

Today has been a bug squashing day, so this is just a bit of fun roleplaying in MYMMO. Looking forward to designing the quest building system that will allow you to join anything together to create you're own custom quests.

View the short animated clip of the image below here on twitter

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »

Update 9:

Done!

Combat simulation:

New Inn created by SphexArt

Performance improvements with working with large worlds (60fps+ with thousands of objects)
Many bug fixes

Next: Able to build shops for the players to equip themselves for the tougher battles ahead. Without a good supply of weapons your players WILL die. Dying is not good for your games ratings.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic