Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:23:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMYMMO - Design your own MMO city builder sim
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: MYMMO - Design your own MMO city builder sim  (Read 79628 times)
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »

Is all dying bad for ratings or is it specific to lack of weapons death? I'm wondering what would happen with PvP areas (are those planned?)

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »

Players will have a happiness level, they will unsubscribe from your game if they get too angry. Dying in almost all circumstances will make them unhappy, as well as waiting (queuing in shops, waiting for monsters to spawn, spotting a bot etc). You as the designer should be able to prevent all deaths if you're playing the game well.

Some deaths will be excluded, PVP, possibly Bosses/Raids. The Priest class will be able to resurrect players, so a possibly strategy could be to spend your money on improving the priest class than your shops. Smiley

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 04:23:37 AM »

Update 10:

It's a big one.

It's been an absolute blast developing this next part. An important idea around MYMMO is creativity, the ability to create your own world as you want it. Terraforming in old Sim City's was one of the most exciting parts of creating your city and everyone knows how fun it can be in games like Minecraft. I was scared about developing this, I didn't wan't want to fall into a time sink hole and never return. Today I'm happy to say i'm out of it, the worst is surely over.

Voxels lend themselves to terraforming perfectly, simple to use and in the right hands you can create beautiful things. On the face of it, you'd think it would be easy to develop a voxel engine but performance plays a major role in MYMMO and unlike Minecraft it's top down, you can see the whole map, I can't rely on culling alone for optimisations. MYMMO's terrain engine is super optimised, I've generated huge maps containing hundreds of thousands of voxels and it handles it easily at 60fps with vsync on. In the time since the last update i've developed:

• Procedural generation of islands using multiple noise functions
  • Basic Biome support
  • Greedy mesh optimised voxels - meshing is not done per voxel but per textured area (a large expand of grass voxels is 1 quad)
  • Tiled textured voxels via a custom shader- a difficult problem to solve as I don't have each voxels vertices, so no UV mapping
  • Support for semi transparent voxels

Teaser of voxel editing:

Small island, can generate much larger:

Next on the todo list:
  • Current textures are temporary + need to design more block types.
  • More interesting biomes, fit for an MMO - Blood (red leaf, white trunk) trees, Volcanos, Elvern style mystical forests.
  • Terraforming UI - Square select, circle select
  • Water physics and shader

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »

Greedy mesh optimised voxels - meshing is not done per voxel but per textured area (a large expand of grass voxels is 1 quad)

ok I really wanna know how you did this. Did you use any online tutorials/books to do this, or can you post how you did it at some point?

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »

Sure!

http://0fps.net/2012/06/30/meshing-in-a-minecraft-game/ is probably the best reference on it. That blog has quite a few good posts about creating voxel engines, definitely worth a read.

This guy converted the algorithm to Java: https://github.com/roboleary/GreedyMesh

And here's it converted to Unity/C#: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/after-playing-minecraft.63149/page-49#post-1697731

http://alexstv.com/index.php/category/voxel-tutorial is a fantastic tutorial on creating a voxel engine, although it doesn't go into greedy meshing. My solution is based on those tutorials and extended with help from the links above.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:58:17 AM by aaronjbaptiste » Logged

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 10:17:04 PM »

Posting to subscribe, this looks fantastic!

aaronjbaptiste
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »

Update 11:

Image dump!

Pathfinding integrated with voxel engine:

New voxel types - transparency, half slabs, micro (quad) voxel:

I plan on making the in-game assets with the voxel engine itself, like this cute little house:

An oldie buy goodie:

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic