Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:31:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is the biggest problem of one man video game developer?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What is the biggest problem of one man video game developer?  (Read 5428 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »

trying to code while also weeping all the time

Yeah I can't afford to keep replacing all those tear-logged keyboards  Cry

chaosmore
Level 0

Delusional Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 03:58:23 AM »

You get to tell people that you live in your parent's house.

Also if your workspace is in the living room, television proved to be extremely distracting.

Btw half of the posts agree with the loneliness, you can solve this easily by forming a social gamedev group.

"Hey guys I still have 1000 scripts need to be written, I should get on it now, bye!" *never came back*

This is sad. #storyofmylife

This guy is a wanted english murderer.<br />
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »

Youtube let's plays in the background help for loneliness. Also living in a res in post-secondary education, but that's not available to everyone

shellbot
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

Youtube let's plays in the background help for loneliness. Also living in a res in post-secondary education, but that's not available to everyone

Let's plays and review shows are my only solace...

Yo, this is the most depressing thread on TIG.
Let's not forget that one-man gamedev is also really fucking awesome!  Hand Clap Mock Anger
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »

It's the worst when you're sitting at your desk 10 hours a day, and at the end of the day you haven't done a single thing on your game, and you realize that this time next year you'll probably be in the same situation.

I kind of want to give up and go through trade school and then work outside for the rest of my life on union pay.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't focus on making a "full" game and just do a 10-20 minute thing like Thirty Flights of Loving.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:55 PM »

16 hours

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »

16 hours
I was in denial and too afraid to be judged.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »

No one judges you, we do the same thing lol

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »

I know it was a lie because it wasn't a power of two
- 2h (I have a job and a family)
- 8h (professional goes indies, has multiple game released, work in a team of professional, has a family)
- 16h (passionate indie)
We need a therapist, why therapist don't shift to indie gaming ever?

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »

I don't think loneliness is a big problem, at least not to me... Eventually you'll come to love being alone! XD

Actually finishing something is tricky, but not impossible. It's about structuring your work in a way that lets you work on something you want to work on... It took me awhile but I think I've found a structure that works for me.

The biggest problem(after you're able get funding of some kind, or have saved money to take substantial time off from work) is really those thoughts and feelings that come up every so often... You know. "What the hell am I doing?" "Is it really 'worth it?'" "Will anyone buy my game?" "What if I fail?" to name a few.

It's difficult to brush these completely valid worries aside sometimes, but what helps the most is knowing that if you fail, you can always try again. And the next project you do will be that much better because you have all this experience and knowledge you didn't have before.

Other than that I don't think it's as depressing as everyone is making it out to be. Then again, I'm probably insane Coffee (continues 3d modeling table lamp #9/20)

RJAG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »

Motivation.

Besides that? Nothing. IMO it's pretty damn awesome in every other way if you know what you're doing.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 11:57:58 PM »

it seems to me that a lot of people here would find that their computer game making activities would benefit from taking a break from computer game making and getting your house in order, then making computer games in orderly schedule gaps you have in a regular functioning life. theyre just games man.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 05:00:07 AM »

Being 24/24 on tigsource forum is the biggest problem.

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »

There is nothing wrong with devving by yourself, however its nice to have people to bounce ideas off which is why i like being in a small team.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »

I'm not lonely, my imaginary friends on TIG are with me

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »

Loosing balance in life.

Conker
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 06:36:28 AM »

it seems to me that a lot of people here would find that their computer game making activities would benefit from taking a break from computer game making and getting your house in order, then making computer games in orderly schedule gaps you have in a regular functioning life. theyre just games man.

there is a lot of merit in this and should be taught a little more in the indie scene
16 hour dev lifestyle isnt healthy
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 06:51:37 AM »

I literally cannot organize my house, because I live in a university residence room that is barely big enough to contain basic living furniture such as a bed, a desk and a cupboard. I literally have nothing better to do than to program stuff and do homework all the time. Also I play games sometimes.

EditinLuv
Level 0

Menace with Grace

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »

Biggest problem for me is using a computer, too many distractions. Too many shows to watch. Too many cartoons. Too many games to play. I get drag down the inspiration rabbit hole a little too often.  Shrug

click to for devlog
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »

I wish I was a developer too so I could call all my loafing inspiration

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic