Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:27:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBoarding Action - alpha builds - Sci-Fi shooter/action
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Boarding Action - alpha builds - Sci-Fi shooter/action  (Read 1124 times)
Ramus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »

Hey there!

This is Boarding Action. My first project of this size. I was inspired by hard science fiction novels and their awesome use of (0G) physics as elements for action. (Namely the expanse novels) Anyone who has played a first person game should be able to play, the in-game scenario is set up to explain the rest.

New 4.2 update download links:
IndieDB
Dropbox

I'd love to hear your feedback! In this build I'm looking for:
- Bugs you've encountered
- Your opinion on the UI, level layout, movement and combat (pretty much the whole thing)
- Ideas and features you'd like to see implemented
- Anything you find worth mentioning

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and/or play my game!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:33:27 AM by Ramus » Logged

Ramus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »

I've updated the original post with a new build and screenshots. Bumping for visibility Wink

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »

Hello,

I played your game and here is the feedback in no particular order:

1- I really liked the game's controls in floating out in space. It felt really cool and I liked how it worked in general.

2- The UI needs a lot of polish. It is functional but needs to look, cooler! Perhaps have a holographic kind of effect as you are in space and all. Kind of like how the UI looks in Minority Report. The only bug I saw is that I get a waypoint for the mission before the captain tells me what to do at somepoints.

3- The normal controls are OK, I am guessing that is the standard FPS controls in Unity? I didn't like the floating gun though. It would be nice to see my body.

4- I didn't like how the enemies would just stop and freeze like robots once I am outside of their direct eyesight and take damage with no actions whatsoever.

5- I seem to have no oxygen reduction when I am outside of the ship after refilling my canister after the first mission. Until I hit the second ship where you kill people in, I didn't lose 1%. However when I blew off the ships hull and went back to my ship it started to go down normally.

6- Thrusters now feel like they are limitless. I'd add some limit to it.

7- I would also add some story/reason as to why I am killing those guys, it felt quite random.

8- It was really nice to see cash flow in like that but it wasn't realistic. In real life what you pick up doesn't turn into cash instantly. Not even sure why I got X amount of money on picking up extra equipment when I am still using it. I picked up extra ammo and I had the ammo size increase + I got money. Maybe give reputation and money? Where stuff like picking up extra ammo could get you reputation and extra reputation may mean extra money? It is just a suggestion... the instant cash wasn't really quite fitting for some reason.

9- When arriving to the second ship it suddenly was totally black even though while flying 90% of the way it was well lit. Not sure if that is a bug or something intentional.

10-  The dialogue needs some working out. It feels cheesy at the moment but I am guessing that is because it is a test demo?

All in all, the game looked quite fun and felt it is not like the average FPS game. It has a chance to be quite a deep and compelling game. It felt like I am seriously in space and can go explore and do stuff. I liked how you eased in the player with the missions getting harder and introduce the mechanics and I am looking forward to see how this pans out actually.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Ramus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:15:34 AM »

Hello,

I played your game and here is the feedback in no particular order:

1- I really liked the game's controls in floating out in space. It felt really cool and I liked how it worked in general.

2- The UI needs a lot of polish. It is functional but needs to look, cooler! Perhaps have a holographic kind of effect as you are in space and all. Kind of like how the UI looks in Minority Report. The only bug I saw is that I get a waypoint for the mission before the captain tells me what to do at somepoints.

3- The normal controls are OK, I am guessing that is the standard FPS controls in Unity? I didn't like the floating gun though. It would be nice to see my body.

4- I didn't like how the enemies would just stop and freeze like robots once I am outside of their direct eyesight and take damage with no actions whatsoever.

5- I seem to have no oxygen reduction when I am outside of the ship after refilling my canister after the first mission. Until I hit the second ship where you kill people in, I didn't lose 1%. However when I blew off the ships hull and went back to my ship it started to go down normally.

6- Thrusters now feel like they are limitless. I'd add some limit to it.

7- I would also add some story/reason as to why I am killing those guys, it felt quite random.

8- It was really nice to see cash flow in like that but it wasn't realistic. In real life what you pick up doesn't turn into cash instantly. Not even sure why I got X amount of money on picking up extra equipment when I am still using it. I picked up extra ammo and I had the ammo size increase + I got money. Maybe give reputation and money? Where stuff like picking up extra ammo could get you reputation and extra reputation may mean extra money? It is just a suggestion... the instant cash wasn't really quite fitting for some reason.

9- When arriving to the second ship it suddenly was totally black even though while flying 90% of the way it was well lit. Not sure if that is a bug or something intentional.

10-  The dialogue needs some working out. It feels cheesy at the moment but I am guessing that is because it is a test demo?

All in all, the game looked quite fun and felt it is not like the average FPS game. It has a chance to be quite a deep and compelling game. It felt like I am seriously in space and can go explore and do stuff. I liked how you eased in the player with the missions getting harder and introduce the mechanics and I am looking forward to see how this pans out actually.

Hope that helps and good luck!

1- Whoo! Finally someone who likes the 0G controls Tongue Most people had quite some difficulty getting the hang of it.

2- Yes, it does need polish. Better visualisation and cooler looks are definitely on the list. Will look into the waypoint bugs.

3- Nope, some example code from here and there, some of my own. A body for the player is on the list for sure. It's just that it isn't essential for the gameplay, so it's low priority.

4- Haha, yes, my AI code sure does fall through there. I'm beginning to think I should have used an existing framework. I will fix this.

5- Hadn't noticed that before. Will look into it!

6- I've been doubtful about doing that. But maybe there's some merit to it. I'll put it on my list for trying out in the next major build.

7- Seems like my attempts at making the props and dead body placement explain that are not working well. I'll look into making it clearer.

8- The insta-cash does seem a bit silly now you say it. Maybe I should make a "loot" list/screen, that only cashes in at the end of a mission/scenario. About the pistol pickup, the idea is that you take the ammo out for your gun, and take the extra empty gun as extra equipment, to sell later. Maybe I should make that clearer.

9- Haha, that's intentional. I'll remove it in the next build. It does not have a use anymore.

10- This is the first actual dialogue I've written, so I'm trying things out. Good of you to give feedback on it, I'll keep it in mind. This is the kind of stuff I need to compare to other player's feedback, as it's a bit subjective.

Thanks a lot for giving all that feedback! All your points are clear and well written, this is very useful for me.

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:09:34 AM »

Allow me to expand on a few points I made but didn't have the time to expand on when I wrote this up:

3- In that case, I have to say well done. It feels well done and I don't have any problems with it. That said, I understand the body is not a priority but trust me it breaks your "flow" once you look down and see nothing. It breaks your sense of the world's realism big time.

6- Mind you, it will make the game more difficult and might be hard to manage both oxygen and thrusters. It is up to you what you add or remove from your game but in case you did, I am one of those people that think it shouldn't be a big or main challenge but rather something to add to the experience.

7- Not at all, I saw the body drop and when the door opened and I was wondering why a dead body was there. But I didn't think I am killing those for revenge or something. I only thought either they had some other intruder like me (poor fellas!) or they were outright "pirates" and in either case, I shouldn't kill them -- after all, I stole their canister or that is how I understood the situation. So it was weird why I am killing them.

8- It was clear that the extra stuff earned me cash but I didn't feel it was realistic enough to just turn immediately into cash and add ammo at the same time. I felt either that or this. If I give the gun to my crew I get a bonus for being a good team mate, but then I lose the extra bullets/gun.

10- Yes, please. In fact I suggest that all of my feedback would be treated this way, wait for more testers and see the general feedback. As my opinions are usually tuned in to what I believe is a good mechanic/solution rather than the mainstream at certain times.

kierkle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »

Playtested the game twice. I really liked it!

First thing I noticed was that I really enjoyed the kinda creepy "nobody can hear you scream in space" feel to the game. The buzz of the engine core generator thingy, the simple florescent lights, the suspiciously routine job tasks. I liked the low poly art style, but the people could be a bit more animated to give them more life. The dialogue could use some polish, but it was very direct and told me exactly what I needed to do: get that capsule. Getting the capsule was a little tough. The first time around I jammed down on the W key and never made it back to the ship. But after another try I managed to figure out the controls. They could probably be a little more forgiving (less acceleration), but they make sense. Also, would be nice to have a little UI bar element showing how much throttle I'm using. Also, would be nice to have a UI label next to that bar telling me how fast I'm traveling. Once I got the barrel and managed my way back into the airlock I think there was a bug, because I warped right thru the ship wall. Which was a let down, because I really liked the airlock mechanic. It made me feel like "oh man, I'm almost out of oxygen which button do I press again?" The next quest was a bit more interesting. I didn't realize that I was going on to an enemy ship at first. I thought it was abandoned. I was pretty freaked out when I boarded and the dead guy dropped. I was thinking man eating green aliens and went into the other room to ask this guy what happened, but then he started shooting at me. Didn't realize he was the bad guy. Was able to take care of him with the pistol (agreed about having an arm with the gun would be better), but in the next room I ran out of ammo and they took me out. I liked dropping to the floor in slow mo. Wanted to try again, but there's no checkpoints yet. I'll try again later.

Altogether, good job. Keep at it and keep us posted, look forward to playing more.

Ramus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 03:29:26 AM »

I've uploaded an updated version. Thanks for your feedback Kierkle and Vallar!

4.2 changes:
- Removed the lighting changes when the player nears the freighter.
- Added a status icon for the flashlight.
- Added a ricocheting bullets to the gauss pistol.
- Overhauled the way picking up and carrying objects works.
- Fixed numerous small bugs.

To do list for future updates:
- Rewrite the dialogue.
- Improve (possibly rewrite) the AI code.
- Add a body model with animations to the player. (mostly for the hand holding the gun)
- Improve the "money earning" to be more logical.
- Overhaul the depressurisation code to be more robust, there's still too many (potential) bugs in there.
- Find a better way to introduce the enemy, to prevent confusion.
- Improvements to the UI, better health and oxygen display. Add a velocity indicator for manouvering in space.

Download:
IndieDB
Dropbox

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic