Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:18:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorials[Video] Implementation of a component-based entity system in modern C++
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Video] Implementation of a component-based entity system in modern C++  (Read 1143 times)
vittorioromeo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »

Like last year, I attended the truly excellent CppCon 2015 conference (Bellevue, WA) and presented two talks.

The video of my first talk, which is heavily oriented towards game development, is now available on the conference’s official YouTube channel:

The talk shows the audience how to write a simple yet powerful C++14 component-based entity system, from scratch.

I use SFML for window/input management and to render simple 2D graphics.

Modern C++ features and idioms are used.
I’ve tried to make the implementation as cache-friendly and data-oriented as possible while maintaining a reasonable level of simplicity.

It is not an AAA framework, but I think I’ve managed to write a small powerful system that shows the benefits and ideas behind a data-oriented ECS.

Choices I’ve made:

• Components are logic-less. (They are simple structs.)
  • Entities are implicit. (The Entity class is just an ID with some metadata.)
  • Components are stored in separate, contiguous arrays. (Every component type has its own array.)
  • Systems are implicit. (Entities are matched using “signatures”.)
  • Entity metadata is sorted in memory for efficient iteration. Component data is not sorted or “compressed”. (Think about the storage as a relational table, where the columns are the entities and the rows are the component types.)

There are many open-ended questions and possible improvements of this implementation - my goal was showing people how beneficial and convenient a more data-oriented and component-based approach is, and how C++14 makes coding such a system extremely satisfying (thanks to its modern features and cost-free abstractions.)

I’m very open to feedback and would love to hear what you think.
Hope you find the video interesting!

You can find all the material (slides and code) on my GitHub repository:
https://github.com/SuperV1234/cppcon2015

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic