Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:49:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemnants of Naezith [RELEASED on STEAM]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Remnants of Naezith [RELEASED on STEAM]  (Read 63978 times)
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2016, 05:23:22 AM »

I made it myself

Also added a text banner to the first post Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:52:04 AM by naezith » Logged

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »

Finally found the font I was looking for!

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »

New WIP soundtrack, almost done : http://puu.sh/nCLrv/75be84b1a4.mp3

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »

Amazing news! Thomas started making the assets for new chapters! We're aiming for 4 Chapters, 25 levels each. Otherwise it could be a release like 100 levels using the same single tileset. I think this will eliminate most of the negative comments about the lack of variety of level looks and chapters.

Also this will help to present the story ingame. I will also add subtitles for the Naezith so it would be cool if dead dragon inside the Kayra would talk to us, right? Smiley Monolog tho! It won't be like one of those texts that stops your game and wants you to press a key to continue. It will just appear whenever you're in an invisible field so as you proceed in the level, you will see the texts one by one, non-disturbing yellow subtitles like in the movies.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »

Finally built my IndieDB Page!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:19:15 AM by naezith » Logged

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »

This is what I have in my mind about chapters and level selection screens.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this topic.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2016, 03:27:36 PM »

Another place I used the infamous "Sinus" function, I love how amazing it is.

And yes, raising waters with options like start delay, ease/linear movement and negative/positive height difference!

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »

I did a 14 hours gamedev marathon today Smiley

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2016, 06:10:22 AM »

The water reflection looks really cool! How did you achieve that? And what tech/engine/libraries are you using actually?  Beer!

Currently:

Released games: Nubs' Adventure | Rico
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2016, 06:38:31 AM »

The water reflection looks really cool! How did you achieve that? And what tech/engine/libraries are you using actually?  Beer!

It's pure C++, there isn't any external library except SFML. And server-side is Node.js

By the way, we like particles, don't we?

Mamma mia!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:46:55 AM by naezith » Logged

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

Such a productive no-lifer gamedev weekend:

I don't know if it's something good or not, haha!

Do you like seeing my changelog.txt which I log even the smallest updates?

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »

Currently I have an energy bar stays 100/100 and dash needs/consumes 40 energy. I am trying to find an alternative to represent that. A friend came up with an idea to use "spark" to show how many dashes you can do. So when you dash, one of them will *poof* in a cool way and after a while they will come alive he said.

I am experimenting, but there are so many games using orbs these days, can you think of something else?

khofez
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »

The game's art is pixel art?
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »

Currently I have an energy bar stays 100/100 and dash needs/consumes 40 energy. I am trying to find an alternative to represent that. A friend came up with an idea to use "spark" to show how many dashes you can do. So when you dash, one of them will *poof* in a cool way and after a while they will come alive he said.

I am experimenting, but there are so many games using orbs these days, can you think of something else?

Yeah, having a bar for one ability is probably not a good idea.
If you don't want orbs, maybe another graphical representation, like have his feet glow when dash is ready, or something? You can do different intensities if you think the number of dashes available is important.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2016, 03:54:17 AM »

I was not doing much for last 1.5 week, and that bad feeling hit me so I started working hard again. I am currently working on laser particles, I might have a GIF soon here.

Here is the LATEST OST.. I think it's kinda catchy since I found myself whistling it when I'm outside.

The game's art is pixel art?

Character and most of the other stuff are vector art which are exported as png, including the current green tiles you see there. But I have new ones coming, they will be pixel art.

Yeah, having a bar for one ability is probably not a good idea.
If you don't want orbs, maybe another graphical representation, like have his feet glow when dash is ready, or something? You can do different intensities if you think the number of dashes available is important.

Number is important indeed, I just can't think of anything else than orbs... Maybe orbs are okay but they are overused. Sad

polyglitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »

If you aren't worried about dashing on the ground, you could just give a flat rule for how many actions you can take in the air similarly to Dustforce. Maybe you allow two jumps/dashes in mid air and clearly explain that in the tutorial. This doesn't look good visually, but in my opinion it plays well.

The other thing I wanted to ask was if you would consider making the ranks for beating levels based on time rather than overall position. This would allow you to make achievements that would be achievable by everyone. If I had to have top 10 in every level in Dustforce I wouldn't have gotten Double S+.

Sorry I talk about Dustforce so much. It does everything well that I want in a platformer. I am extremely excited about your game and how it looks so far.  Smiley
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »

If you aren't worried about dashing on the ground, you could just give a flat rule for how many actions you can take in the air similarly to Dustforce. Maybe you allow two jumps/dashes in mid air and clearly explain that in the tutorial. This doesn't look good visually, but in my opinion it plays well.

The other thing I wanted to ask was if you would consider making the ranks for beating levels based on time rather than overall position. This would allow you to make achievements that would be achievable by everyone. If I had to have top 10 in every level in Dustforce I wouldn't have gotten Double S+.

Sorry I talk about Dustforce so much. It does everything well that I want in a platformer. I am extremely excited about your game and how it looks so far.  Smiley

Yeah Dustforce is a perfect game in my opinion. I learn a lot from it. Ranks are not about your performance in the level, those ranks are Global ranks which are sum of your whole game data. If you are #1 in every level, then you're the best globally. It's like a merged representation of your global position/performance. So if you have some very epic rank, and you suck at a level, and become the last guy, your rank logo will stay same there even if you're the worst because you're good globally. Aaaand it's so good because like you make a custom level, people play it and you can actually see what rank they are.

I am happy with my current dash gameplay mechanic, I just wanted to improve the visuality of it. Don't hesisate to advice more, I like it.

Here are the stuff I've done today:
Added multiple monitor support.
Level is always centered in middle screen if level size is too small for the resolution.
Editor: Removed the minimal level size limit, which was 90 tiles before. Now it's possible to have levels with locked camera like if width is like 20 tiles, then it's probably smaller than the screen resolution and camera does not need to move at all so it will only scroll in Y axis.
Outside of the level borders are now full black.
Polished the hook's dust particles when it hits to wall.
Editor: Character now spawns at middle of the level when user creates a new level.
Polished the main-menu background.
Optimized the laser particles.
Added laser particles.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »

I work a lot on the in-game Level Editor, need to make sure it's comfortable enough.

Did today:
Editor: Added Rotate Object shortcut(R)
Lowered the levitating particle count.
Fixed the Main Menu background problems.
Editor: Ambient sound is muted in dev-mode.
Fixed default level editor level was too small.
Fixed Dash Sparks were being in weird positions when character teleports.
Editor: Now is using a non-smoothing camera.
Fixed a small bug about the darkness.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »

This post is a special souvenir for myself, about Remnants of Naezith. I will smile when I read this later!

So I was playing Knight Online, game is pretty addictive. I got a quest bow +0, randomly upgraded it up to +7 (its like very very very low chance to get there and it worth a lot), it was amazing but then I realized the game consumes so much time that my game development slowed down too much... And then I removed the item and quit. It was a sacrifice for Remnants of Naezith.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=656787006

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »

Okay, this is amazing... I figured out how to fix my water problem, which was like

Water has to be behind of the Tiles,
Tiles have to be behind of the Player,
Player has to be behind of the Water.

There occurs a loop and I had no solution for it. My water objects are simply rectangles which gets drawn by a shader. Shader also creates a reflection on top of the water so everything should be drawn before water. World tiles should be in front of the water so I have to draw them after water, but then player should be drawn after world tiles because hook beam should be in front  of the tiles while swinging. It is a paradox.

If I draw the water in front of everything, only problem is the bad look of the water, just because it's a rectangle, you can see it in the gameplay video.

The solution I came up with is, creating a water pool sized, pure white texture. Then drawing tiles full black on it. And then using this black and white texture in the shader to mask where water should be and where not, pixel by pixel.

And I did it! Water is drawn after everything else in this screenshot, yet there isn't any watered pixels on top of earth tiles.

This is the first time I used an alpha mask, I am sure there are places you will find it useful in your game too!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:36:24 PM by naezith » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic