Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:01:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDARQ - psychological horror set in a zero-gravity lucid dream
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: DARQ - psychological horror set in a zero-gravity lucid dream  (Read 7248 times)
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

Hi Dev community!

FOLLOW "DARQ" ON FACEBOOK and TWITTER

Most of the game takes place in the dark. Flashlight is the only 'weapon' our character has. Some enemies are attracted to light, others react to sound. By switching the flashlight on and off the player can avoid enemies and solve puzzles. I have some amazing never-seen before jump-scares in development. The creepiness of the game will mostly rely on the overall atmosphere and the story. It's not a survival horror game.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, and ideas!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:12:03 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »

Here's the sprite of the main character that is used to create idle and walking animations:

More DARQ updates coming soon!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:28 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »

Hey! It's been a while Smiley

Just wanted to give you guys an update. Since my last post, the game has undergone some significant changes. It's no longer 2d. The environment is all 3d. Only the characters will remain 2d. More detailed updates are coming soon, but in the meantime, here's a little screenshot:

And here's a little bit of game art:

Some early animation & lighting tests. You can find a longer high resolution video on my twitter (http://twitter.com/UnfoldGames)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:34 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

2d_Sparrow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »

Love the artwork, looks great!
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »

Love the artwork, looks great!
Thank you!

Here's some more concept art:

And here's a sneak-peak of our first location. The curtains have a nice animation. You can see a little play-through on our twitter (http://twitter.com/UnfoldGames):

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:37 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »

It's been a productive game-dev time  Ninja Added a couple cool things to the game:

Now the foreground is blurred. It's a sweet combination of depth of field and motion blur. It adds a nice depth to the game:

Now the flashlight can be switched on and off. When lights are off, you can't see much, neither can the monsters. This is one of the way the player can avoid enemies.

Also, did a little work on getting the textures right. What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:41 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:07:09 PM »

Today was a creepy game-dev day Smiley Designing one of the enemy sprites:

And this is what the creepy guy looks like in game Smiley

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:45 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »

I've been working on the AI system for the last couple days. Now the enemies react to light and sound. Sneaking around is now quite tricky - the player will often have to navigate the environment in darkness by carefully listen to the sounds. For example, one way to tell if the enemy suspects we're close is to listen to their breathing. More irregular & faster breathing indicates that they are suspicious.

And this is what it looks like when the player fails to sneak by:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:49 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »

Hi TigForums!

It's been a productive week, a lot has been done  Ninja I'm excited to share with you some of the news:

First location is close to being done! The creepy house:

And this is what it looks like in the game. Now, the player can do a bunch of things. Walk, run, sneak around, open doors, and peek through the door key holes.

Also, a lot of new animations have been added:

Now, before entering a room, the player has an option to peek through the key hole to check for enemies:

And we also added a new location:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:12:52 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »

I'm super excited to announce that we have our FIRST TRAILER up on youtube

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:19:00 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »

The lightning and the quality work you're putting into this is amazing. will be following.

Is the main character supposed to be scary?  he is scarier than the man doing the elephant impression imo.
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »

The lightning and the quality work you're putting into this is amazing. will be following.

Is the main character supposed to be scary?  he is scarier than the man doing the elephant impression imo.

Thank you for watching & sharing your thoughts! The main character is supposed to be odd...Not necessarily scary...hmm, does anybody else feel the same way? Smiley

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:13:00 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:58 PM »

The trailer is nice, will keep an eye on the game. Don't think the character is scary btw. Uncanny yes, which fits in my opinion. But not scary.

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »

The trailer is nice, will keep an eye on the game. Don't think the character is scary btw. Uncanny yes, which fits in my opinion. But not scary.

Thank you for watching & sharing your thoughts! I'm glad you don't find the main character scary Smiley
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:13:04 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

jesseb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 03:25:19 AM »

Wow, this looks really interesting. The art style is great and the mood works really well. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. I really like the main character, he/she is a big part of what captures me.

I'm not sure I love the title though, unless there's some significance I'm not aware of. Like, does it mean more than Dark but with a Q?
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »

Very cool aesthetic. Really digging the blended 2D/3D look to it and the trailer/SFX are well done. Will keep an eye on this.

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

Wow, this looks really interesting. The art style is great and the mood works really well. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. I really like the main character, he/she is a big part of what captures me.

I'm not sure I love the title though, unless there's some significance I'm not aware of. Like, does it mean more than Dark but with a Q?
Thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it. Interesting to know your reaction about the title - so far everybody I've talked to was very enthusiastic about it. Does anybody else on here feels the same way? Please let me know if so.

Very cool aesthetic. Really digging the blended 2D/3D look to it and the trailer/SFX are well done. Will keep an eye on this.
Thank you, I'm glad you like the blend of 2d & 3d!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:13:10 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

PixelDensity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »

I really like how you have mixed the 2d and 3d together to get a nice style. I shall be following this as its taken my interested. Cant wait to see more of it, and hopefully more breakdowns of the levels as well  Smiley

Keep up the great work.

3D Artist.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »

Geez that's scary. Nice job with the sound at the end - the atmospheric stuff was OK, but the ending effects were definitely...effective.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »

I really like how you have mixed the 2d and 3d together to get a nice style. I shall be following this as its taken my interested. Cant wait to see more of it, and hopefully more breakdowns of the levels as well  Smiley

Keep up the great work.
Thank you for the encouragement, happy to hear you enjoyed it!

Geez that's scary. Nice job with the sound at the end - the atmospheric stuff was OK, but the ending effects were definitely...effective.
Thank you, means a lot to me, since I'm a professional film composer.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:13:14 PM by UnfoldGames » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic