Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:06:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[PS4] SCORE RUSH EXTENDED 撃点 - 4-Player Shmup - LAUNCHED MAY 31, 2016!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: [PS4] SCORE RUSH EXTENDED 撃点 - 4-Player Shmup - LAUNCHED MAY 31, 2016!  (Read 20525 times)
CoreGG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »

Why only for PS4 and not pc?

Anyway, I love the artwork and the messy particles every where. Good job

IVOX - A New puzzle game!
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »

CoreGG,

We felt a PS4 release would do better than a PC release. PS4 is more exclusive and noteworthy. I feel our options to release on other platforms will open wider once our work and deals with Sony are finished. Steam and other publishers will want our game once we fair well on the PS4 (which I hope we do). It will differentiate us from being "just another shmup" on PC. I feel our title is special and we are trying to cater to its uniqueness the best we can. (The disclaimer response: We are making no promises on other platforms and are only focused on a PS4 release at the moment!)

All that said, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

I like that you like the art style -- Yang Cui has been helping us out with improvements on that front -- and appreciate you stepping into our DevLog!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
CoreGG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »

CoreGG,

We felt a PS4 release would do better than a PC release. PS4 is more exclusive and noteworthy. I feel our options to release on other platforms will open wider once our work and deals with Sony are finished. Steam and other publishers will want our game once we fair well on the PS4 (which I hope we do). It will differentiate us from being "just another shmup" on PC. I feel our title is special and we are trying to cater to its uniqueness the best we can. (The disclaimer response: We are making no promises on other platforms and are only focused on a PS4 release at the moment!)

All that said, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

I like that you like the art style -- Yang Cui has been helping us out with improvements on that front -- and appreciate you stepping into our DevLog!

That good too. Good luck and if one day you will release it for other platforms too I will check it out for sure Smiley
(I don't have PS4 xD)

IVOX - A New puzzle game!
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »

CoreGG, haha! Thanks! That's the usual reason why people ask why a release is on a specific platform and not another!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »

I just think that pre-Christmas would help escape some major releases, spending on presents and whatever.

But my opinion is just that, an opinion. I know nothing about that stuff, really.

Yeah.
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »

eyeliner,

Ok, I understand you. We are on the same page. And I think you are right. Generally speaking it is a good idea to avoid the holiday season if you are small, or you can get lost in the mix. The key thing I learned recently is the length of the season: On the PS4 there is a major release -- per week! -- since the beginning of October until Christmas. That's the beginning of the holiday season for Sony. I was mistaken by assuming it started after Halloween. Even January is filled up. So "pre-Christmas" is really "pre-holiday season" which becomes pre-October to post-January. Even despite this, there are some "gaps" due to smaller AAA releases. Sony was willing to fit us into one of them. It was risky as any gamer could be saving out for next week's larger release.

For the record, I have decided to wait until after Christmas. The game is finished, and this was a hard decision to make, but I want to treat it fairly and give it a chance.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 09:30:04 AM »

So I am going to look into making more animated GIFs, better than this one I made which has parts of Windows Media Player stuck inside of it. Any recommendations on software I should use? I'm capturing my footage with Fraps.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »

LiceCAP seems to be good.

Yeah.
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 10:08:25 AM »

Thanks. I have seen LiceCAP mentioned a few times in GIFs of games being worked on. I will try it.

RecidivistSW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »

Cool.  How are you finding developing for the PS4?  Are you developing using Unity?

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »

RecidivistSW,

The base game was Score Rush, which was written in C#/XNA and released on Xbox 360:
http://xona.com/scorerush/

The engine is our own proprietary award-winning engine, originally developed under our Duality ZF title (unreleased):
http://xona.com/dualityzf/

So, Score Rush was born out of the Duality engine -- not to be confused with the more public Duality engine by the same name that came out after ours. Unlike this similarly named open source engine, also 2D and also C#, our engine has not been released to the public.

And so, Score Rush Extended (PS4) was born out of Score Rush (X360).

And for PS4 development we are using Mono/MonoGame, a cross-platform implementation of C#/XNA, which is now supported on the PS4. So most of my development has been on my Windows-based workstation using C#/XNA. We have the help of Sickhead Games for the actual PS4 port, as there still is a lot of work to be done to actually make the C#/XNA build run on Mono/MonoGame on the PS4 as well as adding the PS4 features.

To answer your question, developing for PS4 has been great. It is more complicated, no doubt at all, than pure C#/XNA code for a Windows release. And Sickhead Games are amazing and have been wonderful to work with.

So, that's that. If I had done 100% of the port myself, I could have answered your question in more detail!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:16:11 PM by Xonatron » Logged

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »

Curious, should I also be posting about Score Rush Extended in Townhall? It is a place to announce our games. It seems to be the place to talk about the game upon release? Do I have it right?

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2016, 12:26:42 PM »

Working on the Score Rush Extended trailer...

I do not have much experience in making trailers or designing them, but thought I would prototype it in an OpenOffice Impress (Microsoft PowerPoint) presentation:

^^^ EDIT: Is there anyway to scale this down automatically within these forums?

Curious how anyone here goes about designing their trailers?

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »

More of the trailer to come soon...

For now, I have designed a new logo for Score Rush Extended with Kanji 撃点 as a literal translation. In reverse, it means "Shooting Point" and this works fine with us:

The reasoning behind the design is unique. It is not to help the Japanese audience as much as it is to help communicate our game is Japanese-centric to the American audience. In speaking to my Japanese friends, they tell me that "Score Rush" sounds good enough and there is no additional aid to having 撃点 added in the mix.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »

New box art:

I like it, but the spacing seems off now that I look at it again. Thoughts?

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »

The spacing was off, from previous work I did that moved the player ship and options lower. I fixed it:

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »

I updated the box art one more time. All this adjusting has me going crazy. It's hard to tell if I am making progress or not.

In this final design, I put the Kanji text as a sub-title -- reminiscent of the Raiden II box art for Windows -- and in full view:

Thoughts?

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »

Considering a Laurel wreath instead of a sticker seal, to promote the #1 in Japan distinction:

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 07:52:36 AM »

New box art v4.40. This is my final box art!

The spacing and sizing has been improved to read the 撃点 Kanji better, and it gives more room for the Laurel wreath.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »

Just a quick update:

1) Working on a release trailer...
2) Working on submitting Score Rush Extended to Sony's PS4 QA...

...both hoping to be done this week.

And after this is done, I'd love to work on some marketing material. From text to explain the philosophy about the game and why anyone should care to screenshots and animated GIFs. I think the trailer will have to stand on its own for footage until the game is released.

That is all for now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic