Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:24:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDoko Roko
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Doko Roko  (Read 8907 times)
EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »

I've been putting off this dev-log for too long! Maybe i was nervous that i didn't think I was good enough, or that my process would be mocked or something. I don't know! regardless I'd like to start being more open about my process and what I've been doing because I truly want to improve and I feel a good way to do that would be to start sharing my stuff with other people and start to get feedback on what needs work and where I could be more efficient. So without further ado let's get right into it!

To give a little background about me, my name is Eric Mack, I dropped out of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design in 2013 to pursue my own art education with the goal of becoming a digital concept artist. I watched countless youtube videos on digital art techniques, but the series I found most helpful was a 12 week art program called Art Camp run by Magic the Gathering artist, Noah Bradley. The video series promised that you would see a marked increase in your art ability if you were willing to put the effort in. I put everything I had into all the lessons and I feel as though I am a much better artist now because of it (I still have a long way to go!).  

After studying for a couple years I was beginning to come to the conclusion that I did not actually want to be a concept artist at all. I did not want to be a small part of a massive project, i wanted to have a hand in all the aspects that went into the creation of one. So I started learning programming in Java. I chose Java because I had seen that Notch had coded Minecraft in Java so that must obviously be one of the best languages for making video games. I wish I had done a little more research at the time because I definitely would rather be working in Unity right now. This was a huge challenge and I struggled massively for the first year learning the syntax and what seemed to be a completely cryptic language. It was a mess! However I slowly began to grasp the concepts and before I knew it I was trying to make small little games!

I'm gonna start by showing a little bit what the game looks like now in it's current state, 1 year into development. And then I'm gonna go allllll the way back to the beginning so you can really see just how raw it looked in its initial stages. Then i'll work my way forward to the present day. That sounds like a good way to do it. in medias res and all that jazz!

Doko Roko is a 2D rogue-like, vertical action game with an emphasis on lightning-fast combat and rich atmosphere. In essence, it is an experiment of how dense and nuanced I can make a game whose mechanics are relatively simple. I find that most often, ambitious games made by small studios who try to cram as many features as they can into a game frequently fail to take the necessary time to flesh out those features and actually make them fun to explore and interact with.

Doko Roko is primarily about ascending a massive tower that extends into the stratosphere. There are many strange denizens who dwell in the tower and the reasons for their being there are varied and complex. The game is intended to be parts procedurally generated and part-hand crafted, with different layers of the tower assuming distinctly different styles of architecture. Combat is fast and decisive between the enemies you'll encounter. My goal is to engage that part of your brain tuned to split-second decisions and improvised tactics. My second goal is to make it feel as though the player has a presence in the game, as though your smallest interactions are having some sort of effect on the world you are inhabiting. This is inspired partially by the movement in Super Mario 64. Shigeru Miyamoto and his development team placed extreme emphasis on the movements of Mario until sliding and backflipping alone in a white room was enjoyable on its own. If I'm going to make 4 arrow keys available for the game to receive input, I would like the actions these arrow keys perform to be sophisticated and nuanced as possible. If you are going to press these keys thousands of times over the course of playing, the actions performed should be as enjoyable as you can possibly make them. I'll talk more about this when I make a post about movement.

This is a short overview of what the game is about! My next post will attempt to piece together some of the early days developing Doko Roko and how much I struggled to even get a few squares to move on screen. The drama is entirely real and it deserves to be told!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:40:30 AM by EricSmack » Logged

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »

Beatiful!

thecolonygame
Level 0

thecolonygame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »

Animations are top notch. Nicely done.

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »

Looking very nice though... is the main character a black bird in a brown cloak? Looking forward to seeing how you balance pg and handmade stuff.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

I'm absolutely stoked for this! I actually first read about this game on a Japanese gaming news site, and I was pretty disappointed when I tried looking for a devlog but couldn't find one. I'll definitely be following this!
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »

Looks well polished and really liking the aesthetics :D

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
TeslaV
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »

This is absolutely stunning.
MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »

Love the colours, and the gameplay looks like it could be fun.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »

Hey man, I want to congratulate you on the hurdles and setbacks you overcame to make this game possible! I can understand programming being a big enough deterrent to turn anyone away from a project, haha.

Beautiful stuff here, man! Can't wait to see (and hear) more of the game and the lore behind it.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Oh my... This is looking incredible Eric!!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 05:03:28 PM »

Glad to see you on here Eric. It looks like its still coming a long great!!

I found Noah Bradley's post "how I became an artist" really inspiring. I always appreciate when hard work pays off and it was interesting to see his progression.

I didn't know Doko Roko was tower based, I love games like that. Its like you keep exploring more and more up and up. If you haven't checked out Juicy Beast's Knightmare Tower you should. It plays great on mobile and I like their artists style as well. http://knightmaretower.com/

Keep it up!  Smiley

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »

Stunning! Love your attention to detail with regards to the art and movement refinement.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »

Saw you from tumblr.  Game looks awesome dude, your art is incredible.  Good luck with the kickstarter.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 03:29:12 AM »

Yeah I definitely need to be following this. It looks lovely. Very nice animation and feel of life in those gifs

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 05:12:32 AM »

Came across this via twitter. Posting here to let you know that I really like the style. I am only waiting for my prepaid visa to recharge and then I will throw some money in the direction of your kickstarter. ^____^

EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »

@DevWithoutACrew:Thanks!
@thecolonygame:Thank you! Your game looks interesting!
@QOG:Thanks! and no, but their fur is supposed to be a kind of mix between down-feather and bristly quills. So a little bird-like!
@nnyei: Oh, man! that's awesome! It's super sweet to see people interested in the process.
@markefus: Thanks! I spend a lot of time thinking about them haha.
@teslaV:Thank you!
@MurmuringDepths: Thanks, good colors are super important to me!
@M4uesviecr: Thanks a lot man! learning programming felt like slamming my head up against a brick wall for awhile at the beginning. Any crack in the wall was welcomed! It's also influenced the way I make art now too which is cool to kind of see that change as well.
@MereMonkey:Thank you!
@ashtonmorris: Yeah it's good to be here! And yeah! That's a fantastic post. I should get around to doing the same thing at some point because it'd actually be interesting to see if I actually had any cool ideas in older sketchbooks. That game looks pretty hectic as well! haha. Thanks a lot man.
@happymonster: Yeah! that stuff is super important and fun!
@tox2000: Thanks so much, man! wow I really like the backgrounds in Infinite Oasis. That bluuue sky makes me feel some type of way.
@and: Thanks! I really enjoy the look of the parallax and sword dragging in Mable! Very cool, man!
@danielgoffin: Oh, wow thank you so much! I really appreciate it! THE ART FOR YOUR GAME IS PERFECT BTW. SO GOOD!

The Kickstarter is Live!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericsmack/doko-roko

This post is gonna outline some of the initial concepts I had for Doko Roko and what I wanted the game to look and feel like when I started working on it a year ago!

At the very beginning this game was not even called Doko Roko. It was called Grumpy Climbers. It was going to be a very small game about ascending a mountainous peak and you would be in control of two grumpy climbers that were tethered together via a cord. It was an interesting mechanic in theory, but in practice this setup was actually extremely difficult to control and to be honest I wasn't exactly invested in the lore or the world of two grumpy climbers. I was only doing it to get practice and so I really couldn't put all of myself into it like I really wanted to.

I programmed some prototypes in Processing and nothing really felt right. I decided to ditch the dual control, but keep the procedurally generated ascending platforms as I thought there was still something valuable there. At the same time I was getting inspired by the Kowloon Walled city outside of Hong Kong. If you haven't heard anything about it I would recommend watching this documentary on youtube, it's incredibly interesting.

this sketch of the city was super inspiring to me.

I wanted to know what a game about this kind of place would look like. With everyone just going about their daily lives. And you jumping from roof top to rooftop and scaling this monstrous structure. It started off veryyyy small.

it was just a bunch of squares bouncing around on screen hopping around from platform to platform and shooting at each other. Crazy abstract madness. But in my head I had glimpses of wizards and demons wall jumping, ducking, diving and rolling through a storm of colliding magic missiles and beams of light, reflecting projectiles with impossibly large swords, ascending, surviving and adapting to shifting scenarios. Collapsing tower walls, strange runes, and overgrown architecture, peaceful folk trying to live their lives amongst pandemonium.
     It's a weird vision not conveyed very well through words. Or through colorful squares for that matter. So I set forward the task of building this world and trying my best to give form to these visions. How would this world work? Why is it here? Who are these folk? What is magick in this universe? Maybe it's not such a strange world building process, but it seems strange to me. I have a very concrete vision of these people, these places, these creatures and then I have to explain to myself following a sound string of logic why these things are the way they are. It's a strange sensitivity, and I'm not sure this sensitivity was as strong when I first began, but I can differentiate what belongs in this world and what absolutely does not and cannot belong in this world. It feels as if my subconscious has a firm grasp on what is coherent about this universe and then my conscious mind has to interpret what those consistencies are and the way they integrate with each other. Maybe that's a lame answer to how world-building works for me , but that's actually how I end up thinking about things.
      I thought I would share some of the earliest sketches. They're all about a year old now and they look like insane scribbles, but I feel like they contain a lot of information that's useful for me. A lot of them contain the core feelings I am trying to invoke. I should also say that originally the game had a much more light-hearted tone, but recently it has become considerably more melancholy and strange. If the mood was a vapor it's begun to finally condense on my monitor.

The main character used to have a crescent moon head and the colors were a lot more vibrant. As the game has progressed it's become clearer to me where the mood is beginning to settle. I'm beginning to use more naturalistic palettes and have been looking towards photography for most of my inspiration.

I hope this was at least somewhat interesting! It's fun for me to see how much it's evolved and settled over time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:45:42 PM by EricSmack » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »

Wiew! Good luck with the KS buddy.

EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »

Thanks, bud!!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »

looking at the early sketches really makes me want to buy the digital bestiary.

Will you provide a way to get it after the kickstarter?  (i'm out of money for the moment)
EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »

Yes! I'm going to set up a digital storefront sometime during development and put the .PDF of the bestiary, the T shirt, and the printed book up for sale!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic